Wegmans Food Markets

Updated January 29, 2015
3.8

Wegmans Food Markets Chairman and CEO Danny Wegman
Danny Wegman

Pros
  • Great for part time workers but full time benefits are apposed to be awesome (in 49 reviews)

• Standard raise schedule, scholarship available, fairly flexible scheduling (in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • Moving from part time to full time is difficult especial in areas where there is only one store (in 49 reviews)

• Its very hard to get a full time position and if your part time hours are never guaranteed (in 42 reviews)

More Highlights

I had a long term part-time position in the deli department. I worked there during and after college.

Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Buffalo, NY

I worked at Wegmans Food Markets part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

When I was there, the pay was competitive for the position. This non-union job gave me more job satisfaction and benefits than my previous union job did. Supervisors recognized hard work; it was a generally positive environment.
    I took advantage of the scholarship program. When I left for a job in my chosen field, I was able to cash out a profit-sharing account that I was unaware of.

Cons

Part-time work was not enough to support a household. If you're not planning on staying there long-term (5+ years), it's difficult to get a full-time position.

I left because the work did not stimulate me mentally. I stayed until I found employment in my chosen field.
    Being on my feet for an 8 hour shift was also rough sometimes.

its ok

I have been working at Wegmans Food Markets

Pros

my co-workers are extremely friendly. upper management is fantastic.

Cons

my department manager is extremely unprofessional.

show your department that you care.

Happy

Current Employee - Helping Hands in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Helping Hands in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Wegmans Food Markets part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I love working there right now I'm really happy

Cons

No cons as of right now

Great place for a first job, not career

Former Employee - Customer Service in Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Syracuse, NY

I worked at Wegmans Food Markets part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, regular cost of living raises, and movement between departments makes this a great job to have while you're in school. VERY strict about going above and beyond following labor laws, which is something you will realize is NOT the case everywhere.

Cons

If you work at one of the larger stores, the company values tend to get a little lost in Wegmans desire to make more money. Upper management is typically uneducated and unprofessional and can be frustrating to deal with. When it comes to furthering your career, the company places a higher value on your desire to work at Wegmans for life than your intelligence, education, attitude, experience, etc.

GREAT!!!

I worked at Wegmans Food Markets

Pros

Great place to be and work.

Cons

There are no cons to consider.

Keep up the great work.

Part time work in the prepared foods department is decent (summer job)

Former Employee - Customer Service - Prepared Foods in Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - Customer Service - Prepared Foods in Princeton, NJ

I worked at Wegmans Food Markets part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I worked for only a few months in the prepared foods department. The pros are that it's pretty reasonable work. Nothing really outlandish. The company is good to work for. If you like food, if you like people this is a decent place to work.

Cons

If you're a foodie, you'll probably be disappointed. You work in prepared foods but you aren't preparing the food...you're selling it. Big difference. Also the part time work is completely fine, but when people rave about working for Wegmans it's because they're full time employees, they get a ton of benefits...part-time people don't really get much anything except hourly wage and some seasonal coupons.

Miss it!

Current Employee - Floral Customer Service
    Current Employee - Floral Customer Service

I have been working at Wegmans Food Markets part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

When first starting as a cashier I hated the job because customers complain about legit everything and anything. However, when moving to floral I realized this is seriously the best company to work for. Once you get a chance to be apart of a department, mangers and co workers start to treat you as a somebody rather than a nobody when on cashier. Also the pay increase every 6 months is great and the flexibility with hours is amazing! After moving for college I'm so sad to not be able to work there right now. Trying to find a new job for the time being that will be flexible and pay me the same isn't all that easy. I miss Wegmans!

Cons

First starting as a cashier
    Having back pain from cashiering

Inconsistent Floor Management & Hours

Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Buffalo, NY

I worked at Wegmans Food Markets part-time (more than a year)

Pros

-Ability to Move Up in the Ranks
    -Ability to Select Your Availability (but beware- you will get scheduled in many different shifts if you say you have the availability)
    -Scholarship Program for Students

Cons

-They are a well ranked company, but I suspect this is only at the corporate level. If you're working on the floor, it's not a good experience. Managers are inconsistent and hours are too inconsistent. They're flexible, but there is no consistent shift. I was frustrated working 1-6 on Tuesday, 8-2 one Tuesday, and then not even working the next Tuesday.
    -A lot of Manager Turnover
    -All the managers seemed to have different rules. Somethings would be okay with one and definitely not okay with another- never knew what to expect when I came in.
    -Forced employees to ask customers for donations during United Way Campaign (you would be chastised if you didn't which made me uncomfortable)
    -If you have a bad back, this job might be a struggle.

"Top 100 Company to work for"?

I have been working at Wegmans Food Markets (more than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits. Hands down. As a part-timer, you receive the option to have benefits if you work 30+ hours a week.
    As a full timer-40 hours a week. You get medical, dental, and vision.

Full-Timers are really the ones who get the best of the company. In the NJ division: FT receive time and a half every Sunday, and if they work on specific holidays, they receive time and a half as well.

There is a lot of room for growth in the company if you are favored.

If you want to make this your career, there are opportunities for growth and you do no need a college degree to make the 60k+ salaries department and area managers make

Cons

There is room for growth in the company, but only if you are a favored employee. There is a lack of consistency where if they do not care for an employee, they will penalize said employee. But if another employee does the same thing, but upper management likes that employee, they can practically get away with murder.

Lots of mixed signals.

You are required to work holidays and weekend, especially when FT. If you have a family that you enjoy seeing, this may not be the company for you. "Black Out Periods" for all holidays, including something like "Mother's Day", mean you cannot request off. Granted, this is the life of someone working in retail

Its an...okay place to work

Current Employee - Customer Service - Floral in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Customer Service - Floral in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Wegmans Food Markets part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

When your in school they are very flexible with scheduling, and they offer scholarships. They also have great benefits if your full time.

Cons

A lot of customers who shop here are "spoiled", they think they can talk to you/treat you any kind of way and can be difficult to work with. Its very hard to get a full time position and if your part time hours are never guaranteed. You pretty much have to kiss a lot of butt or move to one of the new stores to be promoted in this company.

Wegmans Food Markets Photos