Wegmans

Updated November 25, 2014
3.8

Wegmans Chairman and CEO Danny Wegman
Danny Wegman

Pros
  • Great for part time workers but full time benefits are apposed to be awesome (in 49 reviews)

• Standard raise schedule, scholarship available, fairly flexible scheduling (in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • Moving from part time to full time is difficult especial in areas where there is only one store (in 49 reviews)

• Its very hard to get a full time position and if your part time hours are never guaranteed (in 42 reviews)

More Highlights

Awesome

Former Employee - Customer Service in Warrington, PA
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Warrington, PA

I worked at Wegmans part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to work. looks great on resume

Cons

none. Keep doing what you're doing

none

Positive

I have been working at Wegmans (less than an year)

Pros

Extremely good training.

Cons

Did not have a schedule that was conducive to a normal way of life.

Great place to work

I worked at Wegmans part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule
    Amazing customers and employees
    Always showing employee appreciation

Cons

Very minimum hours scheduled per employee

Best company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Wegmans

Pros

Great pay and hours
    Amazing co workers

Cons

There isn't any cons at wegmans

A company that empowers it's employees

Current Employee - Cashier and Cheese Shop in Depew, NY
    Current Employee - Cashier and Cheese Shop in Depew, NY

I have been working at Wegmans part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Ability to move up and develop into a career if that's what you choose. Yearly raises. The best thing about wegmans is the culture. Employee are empowered to suggest constructive change. Upper management is held accountable and expected to uphold wegmans values. You can learn skills that will help you in other careers and in life. Overall, a very positive atmosphere.

Cons

Sometimes the job tasks themselves were repetitive.

Diversity at its best, both in work and employees!

Former Employee - Customer Service in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Rochester, NY

I worked at Wegmans part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are so many different departments at Wegmans. If you're a decent employee, there's no reason why you wouldn't be able to cross-train in a different department, broadening your skill set and keeping things interesting.

The benefits for part time and full time are affordable and great! If you are an employee for 5+ years, you get to keep the 401K they give you, if you decide to leave. If you stay with the company, there's a plethora of opportunities to follow. And they almost, exclusively, hire internally.

Everything is up-to-date technology-wise, for the most part. For a grocery store, at least.

Wegmans is a much loved, and quality brand. It looks great on a resume.
    Remember: You don't work at a grocery store, you work at Wegmans.

Depending on which department you're at, you may be able to set your ideal schedule. However, like any other retail establishment, open availability, and working unconventional hours, adds a lot of value to an employee.

Whenever I felt I was treated unfairly by co-workers, management, etc... (did not happen often, but hey, its retail), there was always someone that listened and took my concerns seriously.
    They also make a noticeable effort to acknowledge someone's efforts.

And why I will always respect Wegmans: They always place their employees ahead of customers.

Cons

Like any other workplace, favoritism is sometimes a little too blatant. While this almost never was an issue, if it occurs in a smaller department, it can undo relationships and work ethic effortlessly.

Management can get a little too full of themselves, and/or become jaded...
    ...which leads into the next con: Over-saturation in employment. No one wants to leave, which is great! But, on the other side of the coin, sometimes management gets stuck, where they're at, for years. Not due to lackluster performance, or "risky behavior", or whatever. There's nowhere to go. There are a lot of managers I've had that deserve to move into the upper echelons of Wegmans, but can't because everyone seems to be enjoying (or tolerating, I suppose) their job.

It's retail. Make of that what you will.

The benefits*, or lack thereof. Yes, that was listed as a pro, I know. While its not all Wegmans doing... to qualify for healthcare, you must work 30+ hours a week (it used to be 20+ hours). If you're part time, it's doable to meet those hours. But pretty rare. Good luck.
       *it is still great they even did this in the first place, and continue to do it for part timers.

Never stop listening to your employees! Some things that look great on paper, just don't work out when put into action. Otherwise, keep doing what you're doing. Wegmans is a fantastic brand, and I never cringe at/try to forget/regret, my time spent there.

Great Company

I have been working at Wegmans part-time

Pros

Great company with a great culture. The company supports its employees through great wages and scholarships. A great environment that makes going to work exciting.

Cons

I loved this company. No cons.

I had a long term part-time position in the deli department. I worked there during and after college.

Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Buffalo, NY

I worked at Wegmans part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

When I was there, the pay was competitive for the position. This non-union job gave me more job satisfaction and benefits than my previous union job did. Supervisors recognized hard work; it was a generally positive environment.
    I took advantage of the scholarship program. When I left for a job in my chosen field, I was able to cash out a profit-sharing account that I was unaware of.

Cons

Part-time work was not enough to support a household. If you're not planning on staying there long-term (5+ years), it's difficult to get a full-time position.

I left because the work did not stimulate me mentally. I stayed until I found employment in my chosen field.
    Being on my feet for an 8 hour shift was also rough sometimes.

its ok

I have been working at Wegmans

Pros

my co-workers are extremely friendly. upper management is fantastic.

Cons

my department manager is extremely unprofessional.

show your department that you care.

It's not what you know or what you do.....

I have been working at Wegmans full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

opportunities abound and friendly co-workers

Cons

opportunities are numerous for advancement but most times positions are already filled when posted....it has become more of who you know than what you know.....
    inconsistencies in policy depending on departments in the stores and at the corporate level.....
    directly target older, higher paid employees for "early retirement - termination"
    there was an effort about 10 years ago to promote more women and persons of color to upper management since those positions were predominately filled by white men....it has reverted back to white men over women and persons of color with superior experience and education.

Go back to the values you inundate the public with...."WE CARE".....yes, but .only for the chosen....