Wegmans Reviews

Updated October 23, 2014
3.8

Wegmans Chairman and CEO Danny Wegman
Danny Wegman

Pros
  • Great for part time workers but full time benefits are apposed to be awesome (in 48 reviews)

• Very flexible scheduling especially for students (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • Moving from part time to full time is difficult especial in areas where there is only one store (in 46 reviews)

• not many opportunities to move up unless you work full time for a long time (in 41 reviews)

More Highlights

Happy

Current Employee - Helping Hands in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Helping Hands in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Wegmans part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I love working there right now I'm really happy

Cons

No cons as of right now

GREAT!!!

I worked at Wegmans

Pros

Great place to be and work.

Cons

There are no cons to consider.

Keep up the great work.

Part time work in the prepared foods department is decent (summer job)

Former Employee - Customer Service - Prepared Foods in Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - Customer Service - Prepared Foods in Princeton, NJ

I worked at Wegmans part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I worked for only a few months in the prepared foods department. The pros are that it's pretty reasonable work. Nothing really outlandish. The company is good to work for. If you like food, if you like people this is a decent place to work.

Cons

If you're a foodie, you'll probably be disappointed. You work in prepared foods but you aren't preparing the food...you're selling it. Big difference. Also the part time work is completely fine, but when people rave about working for Wegmans it's because they're full time employees, they get a ton of benefits...part-time people don't really get much anything except hourly wage and some seasonal coupons.

Miss it!

Current Employee - Floral Customer Service
    Current Employee - Floral Customer Service

I have been working at Wegmans part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

When first starting as a cashier I hated the job because customers complain about legit everything and anything. However, when moving to floral I realized this is seriously the best company to work for. Once you get a chance to be apart of a department, mangers and co workers start to treat you as a somebody rather than a nobody when on cashier. Also the pay increase every 6 months is great and the flexibility with hours is amazing! After moving for college I'm so sad to not be able to work there right now. Trying to find a new job for the time being that will be flexible and pay me the same isn't all that easy. I miss Wegmans!

Cons

First starting as a cashier
    Having back pain from cashiering

Great place for a first job, not career

Former Employee - Customer Service in Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Syracuse, NY

I worked at Wegmans part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, regular cost of living raises, and movement between departments makes this a great job to have while you're in school. VERY strict about going above and beyond following labor laws, which is something you will realize is NOT the case everywhere.

Cons

If you work at one of the larger stores, the company values tend to get a little lost in Wegmans desire to make more money. Upper management is typically uneducated and unprofessional and can be frustrating to deal with. When it comes to furthering your career, the company places a higher value on your desire to work at Wegmans for life than your intelligence, education, attitude, experience, etc.

Fantastic company with meaningful work and an excellent corporate environment

Former Employee - Information Technology in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Information Technology in Rochester, NY

I worked at Wegmans full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Corporate culture is excellent. You really get a sense that the company cares about you.
    - Work is meaningful, and employees have the ability to directly impact the company's mission
    - Managers notice talent and provide appropriate projects to ensure that work remains challenging.

Cons

- Pay can be on the lower side for IT professions
    - Company is medium sized, so growth opportunities are naturally constrained by the companies size. However, this will get better as the company experiences continued growth.

Can be difficult at times

Current Employee - Cashier in Syracuse, NY
    Current Employee - Cashier in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at Wegmans part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Standard raise schedule, scholarship available, fairly flexible scheduling

Cons

Expects a great deal out of you, policies are somewhat intrusive, pay is often less than ideal.

Re-consider how much you ask out of an employee

Inconsistent Floor Management & Hours

Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Buffalo, NY

I worked at Wegmans part-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Ability to Move Up in the Ranks
    -Ability to Select Your Availability (but beware- you will get scheduled in many different shifts if you say you have the availability)
    -Scholarship Program for Students

Cons

-They are a well ranked company, but I suspect this is only at the corporate level. If you're working on the floor, it's not a good experience. Managers are inconsistent and hours are too inconsistent. They're flexible, but there is no consistent shift. I was frustrated working 1-6 on Tuesday, 8-2 one Tuesday, and then not even working the next Tuesday.
    -A lot of Manager Turnover
    -All the managers seemed to have different rules. Somethings would be okay with one and definitely not okay with another- never knew what to expect when I came in.
    -Forced employees to ask customers for donations during United Way Campaign (you would be chastised if you didn't which made me uncomfortable)
    -If you have a bad back, this job might be a struggle.

Unless you are willing to relocate, or are from New York, there is a limited and slow growth potential.

Former Employee - Dairy
    Former Employee - Dairy

I worked at Wegmans full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you are part of the right clique, its pleasant. If you aren't you won't there too long. Be popular and well liked, or you will not have a good time.

Cons

Low pay. Even the team leaders in our division made ridiculously low money for what tasks were required from them.

Company is flexible but mgmt could be better.

I have been working at Wegmans

Pros

Understanding
    Family atmosphere
    Everyone is friendly
    Will help you to move up in company

Cons

Management is not good.
    Benefits is not great