Wegmans Reviews

Updated September 16, 2014
3.8

Wegmans Chairman and CEO Danny Wegman
Danny Wegman

Pros
  • Great for part time workers but full time benefits are apposed to be awesome (in 46 reviews)

• Very flexible scheduling especially for students (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Moving from part time to full time is difficult especial in areas where there is only one store (in 42 reviews)

• not many opportunities to move up unless you work full time for a long time (in 38 reviews)

More Highlights

Stingy

Former Employee - Front End Cashier
    Former Employee - Front End Cashier

I worked at Wegmans part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

great reputation, nice people to work with, lots of people to cover your shift.

Cons

Great reputation for corporate employees, otherwise hourly employees are treated like dirt. At the store I worked at, there were only 7 people in the entire store that worked full time and gained benefits. Also, for a grocery store to not give any type of discount or bonus on food items is ridiculous

Great company, really bad management

Current Employee - Barista/Cashier  in  Sterling, VA
    Current Employee - Barista/Cashier in Sterling, VA

I have been working at Wegmans part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits if you work the right amount of hours
    Discount packages for gym memberships and cell phone services
    Two pay raises a year
    Most employees are really nice and cool.
    You can change departments
    Hire within
    Scholarships
    Employee Appreciation Days ( Free Food)
    Management training for employees looking to gain management training.

Cons

Front-end managers are some of the worst people I have ever met with exception to front end manager trainees. ( Just avoid being a cashier or customer service at all costs)
    You can go without a team leader for 2-3 months if the current one quits. They load other employees with the job with no official title until they find a person to take the position. More workload for less pay.
    Stalker behaviors from an employee in shipping, freaks me out so bad that I can't go in when he's working.
    Store manager treats Latino employees horribly. ( Denying continued presence on the payroll when an employee had to go back to school. Firing another employee for being late, an offense that most employees get away with.)
    Moving employees into departments that doesn't work well for them. ( They moved a pregnant woman into the Coffee Shop for 5 am shifts when she had severe morning sickness. She was late for every single one of her shifts delaying customers from getting food and coffee.
    Store manager is void of any personality and hates socializing with anyone. He's almost like a robot.

TRAIN THE FRONT END MANAGERS BETTER.
    When a team leader puts in their two weeks, find a replacement in that time.
    Sexual harassment training for all employees on their first day.
    Proper Employee treatment training for store managers.
    Find a better place for pregnant employees and employees with medical issues that make mobility an issue.

Cashier willingness to work long & extended hours if needed to be there

Current Employee - Front End Cashier

I have been working at Wegmans

Pros

Working my way through ranks to earn better money & get full time offer

Cons

Not being able to promoted

Listen to advise

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good job you can move up

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Woodbridge, VA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Woodbridge, VA

I have been working at Wegmans part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pay raises
    Flexibility good especially if college student
    Mobility around company to move up just speak up
    Great family environment they mail you birthday card small things make it special.

Cons

If you don't like customers can be tough.

Hummm?

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Northborough, MA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Northborough, MA

I worked at Wegmans part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great retail environment, training was good.

Cons

company values were not proven, hours were not dependable. Management were too focused on the bottom dollar, NOT a Market Basket mentality.

Give part time employees a better chance at success not just your"friends" and benefits..

Good people with tough hours and customers.

Current Employee - Service Team Leader  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Service Team Leader in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Wegmans full-time for less than a year

Pros

Not an overly challenging position. Generally goodhearted people to work with. I believe that a number of folks are in the best position for them and their abilities.

Cons

The position is, hopefully, transitional. It serves more as a building block o become and area manager or to make a lateral movement into becoming another department team leader. Although many people remain in the position for over a year because of this it can certainly get boring.

Choose managers that fit the areas/deserve to be promoted rather than ones who have been there the longest. The opinions of peers and those underneath the managers should be taken into affect before a promotion.

Amazing company, but little opportunity for growth

Former Employee - Customer Service - Sub Shop
    Former Employee - Customer Service - Sub Shop

I worked at Wegmans part-time for more than a year

Pros

I worked at Wegmans for two years in their Sub Shop/Coffee departments. Some of the pros of working there are:
    Free food (almost all the time!)
    Wegmans actually cares about their employees, unlike most companies nowadays
    Good benefits
    Friendly and emphatic management (for the most part)
    Flexible with scheduling, especially around school schedules
    40 cent raise every 6 months, including vacation pay and show for dough
    Overall a fun place to work!! Especially around holidays and Christmas.
    Will hold onto your job if going away to school, have other obligations etc. Good with time off

Cons

Almost little to NO opportunity for growth. If you want to move to a different department, best of luck to you. I literally applied to 7-10 different departments over the course of two years (and keep in mind, my availablity was open and I seldomly showed up late to work or called off) and got turned down for all of them for no apparent reason. Favoritism also has a lot to do with this, but this is just from my personal expirence.
    Constant interaction with customers and coworkers can be exhausting (On the other hand, if you like to be around people all the time, this job is definitely for you)
    No employee discounts
    Rude customers can sometimes outweigh the nice ones
    Always seem to be short staffed, meaning long hours and being called into work a lot. I've had many coworkers work 7-12 days in a row before getting days off.

From my expirence, the management at Wegmans seem to do a good job! Just continue to listen and be emphatic to your employees.

A roller coaster ride

Current Employee - Cook
    Current Employee - Cook

I have been working at Wegmans full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good benefits
    Raises every year
    Management
    People are friendly

Cons

Expect to be in the same position for a few years.
    Very hard to move up.
    Management
    It often takes a lot of time to get equipment fixed
    Rude customers
    No set schedule

Sometimes it's not always better to promote someone with the degree, it should also be based on experience. Listen to your employees...

Started out working under a bullying culture,but improved rapidly.

I have been working at Wegmans part-time for less than a year

Pros

Any and all issues are taken seriously. Full Time folks get perks, benefits and healthcare. Part Time get retirement access after one year and also get access to assistance or a number to help them get to help needed(available immediately).

Cons

95% of all offers are currently part time. Perhaps the new ACA-healthcare law is to blame for this change? Often have to jump departments if you desperately require hours or you are not a college student. Do not expect to be paid too far above what typical parttimers in the field, but you get paid extra for holidays/sundays. Also expect to be working most holidays, as typically upper management takes most holidays.

For every part time worker, remove a full time slot; or for every full time worker subtract two part time to make "space" for that slot. At the very least reduce full time worker hours to the bare minimum to remain in the healthcare plan currently established. If a worker works a holiday, make it a point(unless that worker specifically requests) to give them that time off either the following year or the next holiday. Allow some work-life balance to right itself, your part time workers will really appreciate it!

Increase the part timer hours, and vary the hours for full time workers(full 50<35), they are dealing with way too much, and part time workers aren't able to help or contribute, as they are often not scheduled enough! Let's get the Wegman's "family" as a team again, rather then revolving constellations(part time) around a sun(full time).

I'm getting by... But It has grown very old.

I have been working at Wegmans part-time for more than a year

Pros

-Raises every six months.
    -Fun coworkers, many of my friends have quit. But they would make the work day more bearable.
    -Time and half on Sundays/Holidays
    -Vacation pay bonus once 1,200 hours have been reached.
    -Scholarship opportunities for employees.
    -Surrounded by great food.
    -Flexible scheduling, especially for high school and college students.
    -Employee Appreciation events.

Cons

-The customers can be very rude depending on the area you live in. Working in an area with goverment officals with Type A personalities, rude, jerky, customers are a daily occurance.
    -Transferring departments is a pain. I'm in the process of a transfer. Not only will my current department manager not speak to me. The way it was handled was completely childish.
    -No store discount for employees. Yet they are constantly sending coupons and deals to customers.
    -Nepotism. Managers play favorites regarding employees. Some can get away with everything(showing up late, constant call outs, not showing up for work) while others are reprimanded.
    -Long hours on feet.
    -Mixing business with pleasure. So many Wegmans employees date or are married. In turn it gives other employees the idea it is professionally acceptable(As in pursuing a romance with a fellow coworker who isn't interested) There have been plenty of male coworkers that I had to blantently ignore for them to get the point I don't pursue work romances.
    This also relates back to nepotism. Also, they are very open about their relationships in front of fellow coworkers and customers(Hand holding, kissing, hugging whilst in uniform). I don't understand Wegmans policy on this, but at my previous employers relationships between management and employees was strictly prohibited due to conflict of interest. In my opinion I feel this should be addressed as to what's appropriate, and what's not.

-Try working on a store discount for employees, even if it's 10% off a purchase. Our paychecks go right back to you. Do away with the discounts to places not related to us.
    -Offer cross training opportunities for growth.

Worked for Wegmans? Contribute to the Community!