Wegmans

Updated December 15, 2014
3.8

Wegmans Chairman and CEO Danny Wegman
Danny Wegman

Pros
  • Great for part time workers but full time benefits are apposed to be awesome (in 49 reviews)

• Standard raise schedule, scholarship available, fairly flexible scheduling (in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • Moving from part time to full time is difficult especial in areas where there is only one store (in 49 reviews)

• Its very hard to get a full time position and if your part time hours are never guaranteed (in 42 reviews)

More Highlights

I had a long term part-time position in the deli department. I worked there during and after college.

Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Buffalo, NY

I worked at Wegmans part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

When I was there, the pay was competitive for the position. This non-union job gave me more job satisfaction and benefits than my previous union job did. Supervisors recognized hard work; it was a generally positive environment.
    I took advantage of the scholarship program. When I left for a job in my chosen field, I was able to cash out a profit-sharing account that I was unaware of.

Cons

Part-time work was not enough to support a household. If you're not planning on staying there long-term (5+ years), it's difficult to get a full-time position.

I left because the work did not stimulate me mentally. I stayed until I found employment in my chosen field.
    Being on my feet for an 8 hour shift was also rough sometimes.

It's not what you know or what you do.....

I have been working at Wegmans full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

opportunities abound and friendly co-workers

Cons

opportunities are numerous for advancement but most times positions are already filled when posted....it has become more of who you know than what you know.....
    inconsistencies in policy depending on departments in the stores and at the corporate level.....
    directly target older, higher paid employees for "early retirement - termination"
    there was an effort about 10 years ago to promote more women and persons of color to upper management since those positions were predominately filled by white men....it has reverted back to white men over women and persons of color with superior experience and education.

Go back to the values you inundate the public with...."WE CARE".....yes, but .only for the chosen....

Good for young go getter

I have been working at Wegmans full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Nice pay and benefits package

Cons

They preach work life balance but this entirely depends on which individual store you work in.

Kissing butt has its rewards

Current Employee - Customer Service in Cherry Hill, NJ
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Cherry Hill, NJ

I have been working at Wegmans part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free pretzels on Sunday mornings

Cons

You can move up if you are one of the chosen ones

You should not base your advancement based on who kisses your butt

its ok

I have been working at Wegmans

Pros

my co-workers are extremely friendly. upper management is fantastic.

Cons

my department manager is extremely unprofessional.

show your department that you care.

Happy

Current Employee - Helping Hands in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Helping Hands in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Wegmans part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I love working there right now I'm really happy

Cons

No cons as of right now

GREAT!!!

I worked at Wegmans

Pros

Great place to be and work.

Cons

There are no cons to consider.

Keep up the great work.

Part time work in the prepared foods department is decent (summer job)

Former Employee - Customer Service - Prepared Foods in Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - Customer Service - Prepared Foods in Princeton, NJ

I worked at Wegmans part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I worked for only a few months in the prepared foods department. The pros are that it's pretty reasonable work. Nothing really outlandish. The company is good to work for. If you like food, if you like people this is a decent place to work.

Cons

If you're a foodie, you'll probably be disappointed. You work in prepared foods but you aren't preparing the food...you're selling it. Big difference. Also the part time work is completely fine, but when people rave about working for Wegmans it's because they're full time employees, they get a ton of benefits...part-time people don't really get much anything except hourly wage and some seasonal coupons.

Miss it!

Current Employee - Floral Customer Service
    Current Employee - Floral Customer Service

I have been working at Wegmans part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

When first starting as a cashier I hated the job because customers complain about legit everything and anything. However, when moving to floral I realized this is seriously the best company to work for. Once you get a chance to be apart of a department, mangers and co workers start to treat you as a somebody rather than a nobody when on cashier. Also the pay increase every 6 months is great and the flexibility with hours is amazing! After moving for college I'm so sad to not be able to work there right now. Trying to find a new job for the time being that will be flexible and pay me the same isn't all that easy. I miss Wegmans!

Cons

First starting as a cashier
    Having back pain from cashiering

Great place for a first job, not career

Former Employee - Customer Service in Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Syracuse, NY

I worked at Wegmans part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, regular cost of living raises, and movement between departments makes this a great job to have while you're in school. VERY strict about going above and beyond following labor laws, which is something you will realize is NOT the case everywhere.

Cons

If you work at one of the larger stores, the company values tend to get a little lost in Wegmans desire to make more money. Upper management is typically uneducated and unprofessional and can be frustrating to deal with. When it comes to furthering your career, the company places a higher value on your desire to work at Wegmans for life than your intelligence, education, attitude, experience, etc.