Weidner Apartment Homes

Great Company

Current Employee - MIT in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - MIT in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Weidner Apartment Homes full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Wonderful company culture and values.

Cons

Don't have anything negative to say.

Keep caring about people.

Great people, not-so-great practices.

I worked at Weidner Apartment Homes full-time

Pros

The corporate trainers are experienced, detailed, and truly care about your future and growth with the company.

Cons

Some with power abuse it. Help requests / regular responses stop after a certain point. Deadlines take precedent over office operations - basically you're expected to complete lots of reports, take part in last minute webinars, and not complain, with little to no regard as to how busy your under-staffed team is.

On-site training of new acquisitions should be more than a few days, especially if you're inputting new management software and policies at a location that's very busy, keeping the staff from being able to fully absorb the training. And when you tell the site nothing is going to change, mean it, or don't say it.

Residents make you their "Indentured-Servant" in Property Management

Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Weidner Apartment Homes as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Growing Company with average pay out of college. Auditors are your friends as an intern, they know its not your fault the community is a disaster. Commute was only 1 minute since I lived on site. Considering I made it out alive, this was a great learning experience and intro to property management. Most of the corporate staff are very nice and will reimburse you for most housing expenses. MITs are awesome will hangout with interns. Good way to learn stress management...

Cons

On my first day of work I planted flowers while the cops busted a meth lab in one of our units (Cops called weekly at large community for domestic disputes). On my last day of work they made me clean up dog feces and pull weeds. Not to mention, the huge turnover rate in this company! 2 people got fired at my community during my 3 month internship. They will work you overtime and get pissed when you clock the hours (Relying on employee honesty is a horrible way to keep track of hours). Management doesn't take kindly to constructive criticism. Blaming the intern is a go-to solution for the leasing manager and anyone else who needs to blow off steam. Working/Living at a 500 unit property is insane. There were a few times where I worried about my personal safety. Horror stories of the previous intern in my community who got stabbed twice in the face trying to evict a resident (I met him and I saw his scares, still works for weidner and holds it over their heads). For the amount of risk and hard work that went into leasing apartments for a large ghetto community, the pay was hardly mediocre at $12/hr. Weidner enforces harsh drug policies even in CO. Big gap in salaries. The employees on the bottom end are worked to the bone and paid peanuts (Less than 12/hr). I worked hard at this community and all I have to show for it is a piece of paper that says "leasing superstar." My leasing manager hacked yardi and stole a bunch of my leases to make herself look better. Horrible Leadership and even worse training.

Don't make the interns do all of your dirty work... Treat all interns the same if you want retention; just because they're your favorite intern, doesn't mean they will work for you down the road, and the ones you don't favor certainly won't. Hire more staff for communities that truly need it. Relying on Employee honesty is a horrible way to keep track of hours. Get a card reading system / hand scanner / Fingerprint reader for employees to get the real hours! For how much money this company is bringing in, Regional Directors and CDs should have larger budgets for communities. Really? No trash cans? no wonder this community looks like a landfill and made the intern clean it up all of the time. Get better security for this large 500 unit property. Spending $17,000 on gates that lock people in and out is not enough for the amount of revenue this community brings in monthly. Offer commission for interns that lease a lot of apartments (even $25 would be great incentive).

Horrible company

Former Employee - Housekeeper in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Housekeeper in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Weidner Apartment Homes (more than a year)

Pros

There's no pros working for this company. Horrible HORRIBLE company filled with horrible workers

Cons

The company is nothing but a bunch of snobby community directors who treat their house keepers and maintenance techs like their nothing.

Just cause you have a title of being a "community director" doesn't anything. Please don't act like you're better than everyone else thanks.

OK Company going through a growth spurt and trying to catch up to itself

Current Employee - Community Director in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Community Director in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Weidner Apartment Homes full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Growing company, and therefore many opportunities for advancement. Some great policies and procedures in place. Most management responsive, and a lot of people really really good to work for. Great inter-property relationships where sister properties really help one-another out. Good ethics and pleasant team environment for the most part. Recently instituted an employee survey, but haven't acted on any of it yet. Really good health benefits, especially for families.

Cons

WAY understaffed. Whether you feel guilty taking a sick day or not will depend on your manager, but if you want to succeed at your job you will most likely report to work as long as you can somehow manage to still be on your feet because otherwise you will instantly fall behind. Most employees are underpaid. They have a culture of keeping salaries on the low, but naturally they leak out, because of budget lines and MIT's who mail their offer letters as proof of income before they know to do otherwise. Because of that the morale of community director's is often impacted because they realize that they are paid way less than the people they are training or the people they are replacing. One mistake can cost you all the good work you've put in before and it's easy to go from hero to zero with pretty much no chance for damage repair. Too many changes to policies and procedures that are difficult to keep up with. Too many inefficient procedures (i.e., you get a lead from rent.com which comes to your e-mail, at which point you need to go to rent.com to reply so that the response is registered. You need to enter the information on a paper guest card and then transfer it into Yardi. You need to also log all of your follow up in Yardi and attach paper copies to the guest card. So a question and answer back-and-forth with a prospect over e-mail can take all day to log in appropriate places). The company is growing beyond their abilities and has seriously deviated from the mission of valuing their people. Penny pinching budgets go directly against the customer service vision, leaving the community director as the monkey in the middle between an angry customer and the company, where you are told to "do the right thing" but then penalized or scolded for it monetarily.

Better training for MIT's on managing teams. We have excellent procedural training in place, but when it comes to people, there are barely any resources. Some sort of an intranet would be great, where you could access your employee handbook, benefit information, etc. online. More staff, more staff, more staff. Instead of Velocity, hire a service that monitors residents utilities including Electricity, instead of having CD's do the work where the residents have absolutely no incentive to pay if they switched the account over into their name, but either our jobs or electricity at the office is on the line for non-payment.

Lots of "real" people, great values, great training, lots of opportunity, low pay, though.

Current Employee - Manager In Training in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Manager In Training in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Weidner Apartment Homes full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Company values its employees, and its residents. Company owns and manages the apartments, keeps them long-term, so it's easy to get things done that need to be done. Great training program to go straight into management. Company is growing fast so there is a ton of opportunity. Upper managment does seem to be concerned about what you want out of your career and seems to be willing to try to make it happen.

Cons

Open weekends, kind of a low salary.

Consider salary on a case-by-case basis.

Good intern experience, could have learned more

I worked at Weidner Apartment Homes as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Good group of colleagues, fairly flexible

Cons

Can be unorganized, a lot of maintenance issues

Try to please your current employees a little more

Wonderfully friendly employer

Current Employee - Manager In Training
    Current Employee - Manager In Training

I have been working at Weidner Apartment Homes full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Room for advancement and great starting salary. They compete with other prospective employers to get the talent they feel would fit best

Cons

A little slow to respond, odd office hours can try your patience initially, but once you're in, you're set!

Keep developing paths for advancement - it incentivizes retention of quality employees

Leasing consultant

Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Weidner Apartment Homes full-time (more than a year)

Pros

This company has a great values.

Cons

It is hard to get time off

Great company for training.

Former Employee - Community Director in Federal Way, WA
    Former Employee - Community Director in Federal Way, WA

I worked at Weidner Apartment Homes full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

On the job training is exceptional on site as well as corporate traini.ng classes . The people are amazing . they hire exeeptional people and work through them pretty quickly if the are not good.

Cons

Getting concerns addressed is difficult when it comes to improv ements needed on the proper ties . traing for maintance is very weak to non existentant.vetypay for mid to low level positions is very low. and upper management /owner have there favorites and get treated much better than otherswho tend to get the bad end of everything .you can go from hero to zero in this company very quickly and they toss you away very easily in a blink of an eye

Hire more upper management positions to give the property level the attention needed. get a maintenance training program .

Weidner Apartment Homes Photos

Weidner team participate's in WMFHA's 8th annual chilli cook!
Meet our Recruitment Team