Weight Watchers

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

James R. Chambers

Pros:
  • "Enjoyed helping people, coworkers were very nice and dedicated and supportive"
    in 31 reviews
  • "I was always uplifted by helping others to get healthy and reach their goals"
    in 23 reviews
Cons:
  • "In our franchise staff is often working for less than minimum wage"
    in 40 reviews
  • "Upper management doesn't make changes when suggested by front line employees"
    in 13 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good company depending on your department and title

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood, hardworking, devoted and dedicated employees who believe in the company's mission.
    The company is addressing certain transformational issues from a wise business perspective.

ConsLow compensation. Expectations that go beyond what the company is willing to provide from an incentive perspective. Horrible office space.

Advice to Senior ManagementEverybody matters, not just upper managment and select managers.

Used to love it.

Weight Watchers Meeting Leader (Current Employee)

ProsGreat members and co-workers. Has kept me at my own goal.

ConsDisarray at upper management. No clear direction.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in currect employees. Go back to original mission of group support. It's what we do best. Stop chasing after each new competitor.

Ever-changing business objectives, poor understanding of consumer needs & poor employee relations drag this company down

Weight Watchers Territory Manager (Former Employee)

ProsWeight Watchers is about transforming lives for the better. Their program is the best in the weight loss industry. As a field manager, observing the life transformation taking place before your eyes is hugely rewarding. Supporting a staff who works to make that happen is also incredibly satisfying.

ConsThe mismanagement of Weight Watchers which included lagging revenue due to marketing misses for the January 2014 diet season push coupled with uncontrolled exorbitant overhead costs led to the lay-off of hundreds of people in the first quarter of 2014. Weight Watchers has been missing a clear vision for their future which must include not only a strong core program but needs an innovative technology base, on-going training for ALL field staff and a reorganized at-work business structure. This is a million dollar business being managed like a mom and pop shop. Their sales department is poorly structured. Their IT department is worse and their marketing department is bottom of the barrel. Spending millions of dollars on ambassadors like Jessica Simpson, Jennifer Hudson and Charles Barkley instead of utilizing the amazing member success stories from their meetings rooms and investing in the training and pay of their staff makes no sense.

Weight Watchers has a Service Vision which is to make members feel "Cared For, Part of the Group, Motivated to Succeed and Well-Informed". They also want their staff to feel the same Service Vision, they don't. Field staff are underpaid and underappreciated for what they do for this company. The Values that Weight Watchers supports are Member Success, Positive Energy, Innovation, Talent, Candor, Collaboration, Integrity and Accountability. While I believe in these company values and ran my territory utilizing them, I seldom felt them from my supervisor or from the majority of the Central staff that supported me.

Advice to Senior ManagementChose a business plan, communicate that plan to the field staff, and stick to it long enough, with small course correction to see it through to it’s end. Changing the course every six months is not working. It frustrates the members and the staff feels like they work for a bi-polar company. Listen to the field management, they have amazing idea. But the decision-makers must be willing to try something that has never been done before if you allow the talent to be unleashed you might just start floating this sinking ship again.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall a good company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI loved working for a company that is in the business to help people change their lives.

ConsThe central office team preaches that they are transparent, yet there are many areas that they keep from field staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementTruly become transparent with field staff.

Wonderful company to work for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe friendly work atmosphere and company-wide updates led to productivity and transparency.

ConsThe marketplace is tough so the stability might not always be there. With that said, they have made great strides in keeping the brand current and moving.

National company but amateur in managing.

Weight Watchers Meeting Leader (Former Employee)
    Orlando, FL

ProsNice people. I like many of the members of the meetings but sometimes felt like I was not giving them truthful information.

ConsThey hide compensation like it was a national secret. Totally mislead about compensation. Trainers....a few good ones, but many are just dreadful. They make such a big deal of the initial training and then, they just let leaders do whatever......and some of the whatever is not good.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you are so proud of your organization, why do you hide the compensation. Why do allow boring leaders who are still overweight and continue to gain weight for months? Many of the products that they want you to push are incredibly unhealthy.......too many chemicals.

Purpose is wonderful----treatment of employees horrible

Manager (Current Employee)

Prosworking for a company whose mission is to help people live better lives

ConsSenior Managment not transparent-don't know how to fix business ---predict company will file bankruptcy from continued revenue decline and high debt service as a result of board of directors self serving buyback of stock at $80+ and $1.5BILLION in new debt

severe layoffs in field and customer support support and corporate office--all long term employees watched treatment of peers during these layoffs---anyone who is any good is looking for a job

Not a place to make money.

Receptionist (Former Employee)
    Pasadena, CA

ProsI believe in their weighloss concept.

ConsNo opportunity for advancement. Upper management makes crucial decisions on how the centers are operated without taking our concerns into consideration.

Great company that has lost its way

Management (Former Employee)

ProsGreat mission, great program that works, employees have a passion for WW and helping others - it's a job that helps others

ConsThe heart and soul of WW was replaced by corporate greed in the past five years- slowly but surely it destroyed the passion of the workforce which led to poor profits. Morale is terrible, new management making poor decisions to try to save the company only making it worse.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn an effort to become more "agile" at Central you have taken a workforce already stretched thin and dumped more work on them and lost some great people doing great work in the process. Fancy meeting rooms,expensive consultants and analytics raised the cost of doing business and making profits. Bad business decisions led WW to this dismal spot- not sure it can be brought back.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Jump off the sinking ship

New York, NY

ProsGenerally good benefits package including matching 401k and profit sharing

ConsUpper management fell asleep at the wheel and allowed competitors to outflank the brand on all sides, pouring $$ into ineffectual marketing. This resulted in deep cuts across the organization and and outflow of talent

Advice to Senior ManagementTake responsibility for the failures and do not make the rank and file pay for it

Worked for Weight Watchers? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Weight Watchers reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Weight Watchers CEO James R. Chambers. All 218 reviews posted anonymously by Weight Watchers employees.