Weight Watchers

Updated Apr 7, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

James R. Chambers

Pros:
  • "Helping people lose weight and keep it off is very rewarding"
    in 27 reviews
  • "I was always uplifted by helping others to get healthy and reach their goals"
    in 20 reviews
Cons:
  • "Wages - still no idea how my pay is worked out at best it is minimum wage with a top-up"
    in 40 reviews
  • "Sometimes the "help desk" staff refers the members back to the meeting room for a fix"
    in 10 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Fascinating Culture

New York, NY

I worked at Weight Watchers as a contractor for less than a year

ProsHeavy emphasis on professional development, performance management, and innovation.

ConsTHe company is very lean, so there is little room for consultants to convert into full-time employment.

No compassion from management

Weight Watchers Meeting Leader (Former Employee)

I worked at Weight Watchers part-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat Program, Enjoyed co workers

ConsDid not feel respected 21 years no raise in fact when taken over by NACO our base pay was lowered. Many leaders overlooked by younger leaders who lived 85 to 90 miles from store which required mileage pay. Personal time reading email was required, no compensation.

Weight Watchers forces employees to take training at minimum wage

Leader (Current Employee)
Newark, NJ

I have been working at Weight Watchers part-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat Program, wonderful member interaction, excellent co-workers

ConsMany required training sessions that are mandatory but paid at minimum wage. Often given during weekends. Lots of ancillary work required that is paid at minimum wage.

Advice to Senior ManagementAny mandatory training should occur during normally scheduled work hours and should equate to a leader or receptionist's normal rate of pay. Also there should be pay for all the emails we are required to read during the week. Lastly Weight Watchers is a SERVICE. We have never been NOR should we EVER be, let alone refer to ourselves as a STORE. If we are our STORE we reduce our members to consumers. That is an egregious mis-step and I cannot fathom Jean Neidich would agree with this direction the company is taking. Our members are not stupid. They recognize this and we are doomed to lose them.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great program too many politics.

New York, NY

I worked at Weight Watchers full-time

ProsSome good perks but not for field employees mainly corporate.

ConsDesperately Needs new management ASAP.

Extremely disappointed and surprised.

Weight Watchers Meeting Leader (Current Employee)
Columbus, OH

I have been working at Weight Watchers part-time for less than a year

ProsThe members are the reason to work for Weight Watchers. These members are all battling to reach and maintain a healthy weight and lifestyle. It is really hard work and the fact that I succeeded in that quest gives me a unique vantage point from which to support their efforts.

ConsThere is too much unpaid work and expense. Too many leaders and receptionist are working for our franchise in Central Ohio that are not maintaining their weight and management looks the other way. The leaders at their weight with talent and skills are not given the option to do the meetings because they are amazing it is more a competition of popularity with the management. Yes people do very well but the program suffers. The procedures are outdated and take so much time. WWI doesn't pay well but our franchise pays even worse. WW preys upon the employees desire to give back and share what has changed their lives with members with emotional abuse. Understaffed, untrained staff, and a lack of vision is WW both the corporation and our franchise. In our franchise staff is often working for less than minimum wage. If you ask about pay and or working conditions the auto response is "Well we don't do this work for the money..." or "no one makes anyone do this work...." and WWI is not a non-profit. Leaving is hard because I find myself very committed to the members and I know the leader that might follow me could be terrible. I believe meetings are the single component that has led to WW being the most effective weight loss program for years. The meetings, leaders, and receptionist are the heart of the program.

Advice to Senior ManagementInitially, I want to say stop calling yourself management. I have to acknowledge that they managed to get me with all of my talent and skill set to work for them for about $8 an hour. That wage doesn't include the many hours of unpaid preparation and training. They are obviously very good at taking advantage of caring people.

Upper Management does not support (or often care) about their employees

I worked at Weight Watchers full-time for more than 10 years

ProsHelping members to achieve their weight loss goals. The opportunity to share your experience with others who are going through the same struggles.

ConsUpper management does not support their employees and is quick to replace when numbers do not trend well. I would suggest looking at their program, marketing,and economy first. Many employees have been "let go" with little reason. It is unfortunate because they have lost some of their most valuable people with the attitude that replacing people is the answer.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a good look at how you manage people. What you expect people to do for what you are paying them is crazy! Even if you put the pay aside, you are asking people to "give their life" to your company and in return, employees are not even given the respect they deserve.

Service Vision is for Members ONLY

Weight Watcher Leader (Current Employee)
Wichita Falls, TX

I have been working at Weight Watchers part-time for more than 5 years

ProsSupporting others as they reach for their goals. Free E-tools (which you can get once you achieve Lifetime without ever having to be a Staff member)

ConsPressured to sale processed food items!
Poor management!
Low Pay!
No chance of advancement!
Poor work conditions-Someone on your team will be responsible for ordering, transporting and/or storing products unless you are lucky enough to work in a Center (ordering will still be needed). Leaders are responsible to provide a bank for each meeting and make bank runs. Tons of paperwork. Travelers and At Work meetings require moving heavy items such as chairs and tables while dressed in prefessional attire.
Working with staff that realize they are underpaid therefore refusing to go above and beyond to assure the safety of their fellow employes.

Advice to Senior ManagementUse the funds you are wasting on "STARS" to increase the pay of staff members-afterall it is your Leaders and Receptionists that are keeping paying members in your meeting rooms not your million dollar commercials!
Respect your staff by showing them the same Service Vision they were shown as Members!

Long time employee frustrated by management decisions, low pay and poor training

Receptionist (Former Employee)

I worked at Weight Watchers part-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe best part of this job is working with the members. You develop an investment in their success at the program. Nothing is more satisfying than seeing a member get to their goal weight. I also always enjoyed the other staff members I worked with.

ConsThe pay is very low. You are paid by the meeting, not by hours worked. Whether your meeting takes an hour and a half or two hours or more, your pay is the same. And good luck trying to make sense of your paycheck. In the 12+ years I worked there, I could never explain exactly how I was compensated. There is a set base pay plus commission on product sales and number of members in the meeting. But how that is figured never made any sense.

Receptionists must supply their own pot of money for making change, which means constant trips to the bank to get proper change, all uncompensated. In fact, many tasks expected from you are uncompensated, including checking email for communication from management and reading the staff web site for notices of sales and other communication from the company.

In an effort to save money in the last few years, job training has moved from face to face meetings to online webinars and computer based training. As a result, the quality of the training provided has gone downhill considerably.

Field staff are treated very poorly. You can be removed from any meeting you work without any notice at all. And not because you have done something wrong, but simply because they want to make a change. This seems to happen quite often. This job was not my main source of income, so this didn't affect me much when I was pulled from a meeting. But I saw this done to others who
 were counting on the income from their meetings and they were definitely hurt by the loss of income.

Advice to Senior ManagementField staff should be listened to and treated with respect. Communicate better. Improve the training process so that new employees know what they are doing before they start working. Improve the website and the mobile apps. You have built your program to emphasize these things, and yet often they do not work properly, which frustrates members.

Horrible compensation

I have been working at Weight Watchers part-time for more than a year

ProsWonderful members, great coworkers, a lot of flexibility in working hours

ConsBarely minimum wage, mostly below minimum wage if you add in prep, travel, emails, banking, snail mail. Manual labor in dress clothes. Meeting pay is for 2.5 hours no matter how long you actually work. Hard sell pressure now to sell products. Members HATE that and complain. Training is spotty and often outdated. Traveler locations have no computers or phones. Receptionists required to make annoying follow up phone calls to members.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpdate the computer system to something from this century. Pay a decent wage. Make training easy to obtain and not on days off. Pay for ALL time you actually require us to work.

Fun job, not enough pay

Weight Watchers Meeting Leader (Current Employee)
Seattle, WA

I have been working at Weight Watchers part-time for more than a year

ProsYou really do get to help people in an important way. Weight Watchers weight loss program really does work! The training is all paid time (minimum wage) and it is good training that transfers well to other jobs. The work is not very hard most of the time. The people you work with are wonderful. The job has dignity, and people respect you for doing it. You get a great staff discount on products, the program for free, and support in maintaining your weight goal.
A great job for a mom, or retired person who just wants to work a few hours a week doing something good and doesn't really need the money.

ConsThere is a lot of unpaid work. You spend a few hours each week preparing for leading meetings, keeping up with company email, and ordering and packing up products if you lead meetings at workplaces. To compensate for that they offer 1 hour per month of pay at $.50 above minimum wage. They change the program every year and pay you to be retrained at minimum wage, this does take some time, and is hard to schedule around your second job, which you will need to pay the bills.
They also expect a high level of customer service and professionalism, with very little corporate support. I frequently found myself dealing with customer service issues that I didn't cause and I couldn't fix, which was frustrating to the customers, whom I care about, and made a low paying, "fun" job more stressful than it was worth.
There is no real career ladder. There are assistant to the Territory Manager jobs that amount to a handful of hours per week, doing important work, for $.50 above minimum wage per hour. Even if you work your way up to Territory Manger, you will be managing a very large number of employees (200ish) traveling frequently, and working way more than 40/wk for only about 50k a year.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe job just isn't worth the pay. Meeting pay is good when you have large meetings, but that is not dependable. $.50 above minimum wage for all other duties is just not enough, $2 above minimum wage would be reasonable.

Worked for Weight Watchers? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Weight Watchers reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Weight Watchers CEO James R. Chambers. All 200 reviews posted anonymously by Weight Watchers employees.