Weight Watchers

Updated December 15, 2014
Updated December 15, 2014
2.7

James R. Chambers

Pros
  • Enjoyed helping people, coworkers were very nice and dedicated and supportive (in 36 reviews)

• I was always uplifted by helping others to get healthy and reach their goals (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Many required training sessions that are mandatory but paid at minimum wage (in 43 reviews)

• It's strictly a dollars game, as far as upper management is concerned (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

It is a joy to work with the people at weightwatchers

I have been working at Weight Watchers

Pros

the people you help at the meetings

Cons

the pay structure is low

Neutral

I have been working at Weight Watchers

Pros

Good work-life balance, good benefits

Cons

Compensation is not good, no career path

Don't question any policies

Former Employee - Meeting Leader in Berlin, MD
    Former Employee - Meeting Leader in Berlin, MD

I worked at Weight Watchers part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Continue your weight loss journey and half price products. Inspire others to lose weight

Cons

Unless you work at a store you do an incredible amount of physical labor to set up and break down the meeting room. Staffing guidelines are unrealistic and member lines are ridiculously long.

Take better care of the people at the bottom of the totem pole. An occasional "thank you , you're doing a great job" from Corporate would be really appreciated.

Receptionist

Former Employee - Receptionist in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Receptionist in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Weight Watchers part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, great discounts, salary + commission, friendly environment, room for growth - A great opportunity to share your weight loss struggle and success with others, and help them gain that same success.

Cons

meetings assigned based on seniority or likeability, computer system was not always reliable, more of a hobby than a job, very few full-time positions, this is a job you do because you love the brand and want to help others

Assign more staff during peak season, invest in a more robust computer system

good program HORRIBLE management

Current Employee - Receptionist in Silver Spring, MD
    Current Employee - Receptionist in Silver Spring, MD

I have been working at Weight Watchers part-time (more than an year)

Pros

gained secretarial skills, inventory and distribution, bookkeeping knowledge increased, members improved my customer service abilities; communication and interaction.

Cons

below minimum wage pay, high school cliquish employees- think run fat boy run meets mean girls- flighty management, no team work... this list goes on and on and on and on.

sit still for a change.

Great company culture!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Weight Watchers full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Deadlines on projects are reasonable, work/life balance is great and encouraged, people are very nice and supportive

Cons

There are lots of meetings for everything, round the clock. If you are a sit at your desk and be left alone type, this isn't the place for you.

Keep it up!

Discovered the ARIZONA FRANCHISE docks meeting leaders' paychecks for clerical errors

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Weight Watchers

Pros

Employees working the meetings are great, as well as support staff at Phoenix corporate office

Cons

Owners and management in Arizona should support their staff in the field better. No computers or cash registers are used in the meeting rooms. All attendees, their membership information and program progress, and all product sales have to be hand-recorded and completed in a short period of time. The reporting forms used in the process are confusing and require a lot of detail. Members sign in before their meeting. They also record their monthly pass info- includes pass number and current expiration date. I knew all this after being hired as a receptionist, but not about the paycheck-docking. After a while I discovered that if there are errors in the pass information, the meeting leader can be docked $.50 to $1.00 per occurrence. Keep in mind these errors don't cost the franchise money, and the leaders don't make much over minimum wage, either. And this policy isn't in the employee handbook. (There may be other clerical errors that are on the list, but I only saw evidence of this type, which was enough for me to quit.)

Make the investment in computers and stop docking paychecks.

nice, but you won't get rich working here

I have been working at Weight Watchers

Pros

Wonderful helping people meet their goals

Cons

unprofessional lower management, no room to advance

newer upper management is doing a much better job than previous years

Fulfilling & tiring...

Current Employee - Weight Watchers Meeting Leader in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Weight Watchers Meeting Leader in Houston, TX

I have been working at Weight Watchers part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There is nothing like helping someone change their health for the better. When you work at a meeting, and a member tells you that you have helped them to change their life, they have gotten off of medicines, don't ache anymore and literally cry over their changes; there are few jobs that give you that satisfaction.

Cons

Work-life balance can be quite hard here. What the public sees, is nothing like what goes on behind the scenes. It is easy to work 24/7 on WW. We e-mail, text & call about this at all hours. When I wake up, I have e-mails from fellow employees & clients. When I go to bed, it is late, because I have been up packing materials & counting money for meetings I do at companies & stores. We do get paid for this time, but is no where near what we put into this. People continue to work for WW because of the passion they have for it, not for the money or amount of time you put into it.

I really wish we didn't have to bring our own money, continually go to make change & manage this through our personal bank accounts. Please figure out a way to make this work like other retail businesses, where there is a till & a deposit is made every night. Also, PLEASE bring all of our technology into the 21st century. It is so embarrassing to work some meetings with paper & credit card slips from the 80's. I really don't think sr management has any idea the countless hours that their field employees put in for them. Even though we submit time sheets for our work outside of meetings, it is not always easy to keep up with & cumbersome to take the time to submit time sheets.

Times they are a changing

I worked at Weight Watchers

Pros

Change brings about new opportunities

Cons

Change brings about a degree of uncertainty

Communicate as much as possible

Weight Watchers Photos