Weight Watchers Reviews

Updated March 27, 2015
271 reviews filtered by

This company would be nothing without their lowest employees!

Current Employee - Weight Watchers Receptionist
    Current Employee - Weight Watchers Receptionist

I have been working at Weight Watchers part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Continued weight loss maintenance and being able to help others achieve their goals! I love the people I work with and the members. Such an up-beat atmosphere and a place I enjoy being.

Cons

The pay is the worst! The hours have been drastically cut in the past 18 months. Communication between upper management and leaders/receptionists is spotty and seems to only become important when corporate changes are occurring. Corporate seems only to be concerned with their shareholders. I cannot remember when I had a one-on-one meeting with my territory manager. Hardly ever hear from her. So much required training to be paid so little. There seems to be a lot of older women working at the lowest levels of this company who just accept the lower pay because they feel like they have no other choices. It is sad.

Talk to the people that make your company work. Pay your leaders and receptionists more money and communicate better.

Great mission, hard times

I have been working at Weight Watchers

Pros

The company mission keeps employees going. Fresh fruit all day long in the office is a bonus

Cons

Technology limits project scope, hard to keep morale high, whenever there is a crisis it's all hands on deck - which means no resources for other projects

The company is downsizing and volatile at this time

Current Employee - Central Management in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Central Management in New York, NY

I have been working at Weight Watchers full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Purpose driven work
    People want to do the right thing

Cons

Lack of direction and extremely poor execution

Don't just listen to what your inner circle of management is spinning to you

Sad that the company is doing so poorly.

Current Employee - Weight Watchers Meeting Leader

I have been working at Weight Watchers part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The same thing we all say: Helping members in a personal way to not only lose weight, but with their psychological difficulties in achieving their goals.

Cons

Underpaid and undervalued by the higher ups who have no idea how hard we work.
    The morale of most employees, except for the TM's favorites is very poor.
    We have to use our own equipment such as computers, smart phones to do our job without being supplied or compensated for the expense.
    If you do At-Work meetings, leaders have to keep everything in their home and cars with no compensation at all. It's just expected. Too bad for us if we don't like it.
    Also certain TM's treat us privately, disrespectfully. But when group emails are sent and copied to their DM's they sound so caring and proper.
    Also underhanded, behind-your-back, stabbing, cruelly done decisions to remove you from
    a meeting when they come to observe you. You're blindsided by the way they do it. There is also much discrimination to older leaders especially. With all of their shifting and changing staff leaders, the outcome of the company's success isn't any better.
    If we're doing professional work, pay us more than the minimum they can get away with. One could work in a movie theater selling or taking tickets and be paid more money.

Respect us more and compensate the leaders and receptionists better for the multiple skills they bring to a meeting!
    So much is expected of us which is fine, but we are poorly paid for the skills including psychology skills required to do the best job. Allow us enough staff so that members don't have to wait so long in lines doing many tasks at the same time.

Chaos!

I have been working at Weight Watchers

Pros

--Positive mission statement. The company truly wants and believes it can help make America healthier and impact the obesity crisis by helping ppl lose weight. It is a public company and the value of the stock is critically important, but it's nice to believe you're working for a purpose.
    --Some employees are incredibly talented and dedicated. Very hard-working crew.

Cons

--The company is trying to transform and in the past year has experienced more failures than successes in its attempts to do so. There is a lack of clear direction and management alters strategy seemingly weekly, resulting in inefficiency and chaos. The desire and ability to quickly alter course is to be applauded, but there seems no clarity and precision of purpose.
    --Flat structure. Very little transparency. Sub-par benefits.

Choose (the right) strategy and stay the course.

Conceptually awesome

I worked at Weight Watchers

Pros

Great work environment with the option for very supportive of co-workers. Flexibility in work schedule is always possible, so you can make it what you want.

Cons

There is a lot of work that needs to be done on your own time, with a quick turnover. The computer system that is used on-site is not as reliable as one would hope for and causes delays for the customer. Compensation doesn't match the hard work that the workers put into their meetings and members each week.

Everyone will say the obvious, pay employees more. I would go farther to say, train them to deal with the deeper issues that come into meetings. The members uses these meetings as therapy and as WW employees the training never covered that. I knew more about the member than their dr, family, etc, did...and would leave their with my head spinning from it. The training didn't cover what to do with that at the end of the week.

8. Rewarding experience knowing at the end of the day you are working towards making the lives of people better.

Former Employee - Territory Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Territory Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Weight Watchers

Pros

Extremely proactive in promoting employees who are committed to their jobs.

Cons

Not enough leadership training, so you have to find your own way.

Help employees to be their best by offering different types of training internally and externally.

You may want to abstain

Current Employee - Middle Management in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Middle Management in New York, NY

I have been working at Weight Watchers full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Cool building in the Flatiron District..not much else

Cons

If you do not feel like reading my entire post the punch line is "RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN. KEEP RUNNING AND DON'T LOOK BACK"

Now that I got that out of my system. I have been with Weight Watches shy of 1 year. My hiring manager and the management in general here tell a nice story of transformation and innovation. Unfortunately it is only a fairey tale. In fact my manager left Weight Watchers a few months ago. He was no longer able to keep up front that all was good, great, on track and keep feeding all misinformation the executive team required managers to to tell their teams to keep them (wink wink) "motivated".

The teams barely were able to get a new site refresh, new sign-up and new products out the door before the end of December. For those of you not familiar with the "dieting" business, the first quarter of the year is when Weight Watchers acquire and/or renew new members; so if you don't get it right January 1, say goodbye to your numbers for the year. Weight Watchers was already struggling from a poor management team from a few years ago. Everyone rode high on the hog when Jennifer Hudson (not calling JH a hog, it is a figure of speech) was the spokesperson. Her promotion of the company was more successful than anyone at Weight Watchers even projected she would be; it's been all down hill since then. But you can read the history of how Weight Watchers has been falling behind on the web, I won't bore you with public information.

My point is this, the new management has not been doing anything more stellar then the old reich. It has been a swinging door with people leaving the company fast and furious; and I am talking senior people. Most recently the Chief Product Officer said adios..OUCH!!!

Another odd practice is the involvement of senior executives in copy editing communications to members and being involved in design reviews. A high level overview and storyboarding a campaign to the senior execs is one thing but how does the President of North America find the time to wordsmith email messages and make recommendations on basic iconography buried in communications. Come on aren't there more strategic things you should be doing like growing the business or something presidential? Isn't that why you hired your direct reports to hire their direct reports to manage the day to day stuff? Am I missing something or am I the only one who sees a lack of focus from our senior management?

So as people leave new ones come in. Unfortunately there is a trend bringing people all from the same company. ALERT...ALERT... So if you happen to be an ex or current employee from The College Board (TCB), you don't even need to interview. Show up at HR on the 6th floor, show them your proof of employment from TCB and Voilà (Weigh Watchers LIKES to pretend it is an international company so thought I would use one of those FRENCHY terms) HR will promptly issue you a full time employee badge and a Senior Management title...SWEET HUH?

OK i'm sure they are all qualified but the disturbing fact is they are placing the TCB hires as leads on teams that should be policing each other. OK kids can you spell COLLUSION...do you know what that means? I DO.. I DO.. OK Mary answer the question. It means a mass influx of more TCB people, cronyism out the WAZOO and more hard times for employees at Weight Watcher who aren't in the clique and finally that exit door will just be taken off the hinges so we all can "RUN AS FAST AS WE CAN AND KEEP RUNNING AND DON'T LOOK BACK"

Weight Watchers is like that chocolate eclair; you tell yourself, oh one eclair won't hurt my diet except you will be paying for that mistake for months or years depending on your will power to make a change and take that Weight "Watchers" off. Quit while you are ahead or don't even consider starting.

PUNT

Good for a stay at home mom looking for extra income.

I have been working at Weight Watchers

Pros

Helping others and flexible hours

Cons

Low pay, no positive encouragement to perform well, poor management

Listen more to your employees. This business seems to continue to lay off or take meetings from employees but spend money on tablets and services that members can not even afford. It's very counterproductive.

11. It is a joy to work with the people at weightwatchers

I have been working at Weight Watchers

Pros

the people you help at the meetings

Cons

the pay structure is low

Weight Watchers Photos