Weill Cornell Medical College

Updated December 16, 2014
3.4

Weill Cornell Medical College Dean Laurie H. Glimcher
Laurie H. Glimcher

Pros
  • The company offers great benefits, including a generous tuition reembursement (in 11 reviews)

• Work Life Balance, although depending on your supervisor, this might change (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is non-existent (in 3 reviews)

• low pay, for NYC this is hard to manage well (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Nice people. Hard working staff

I have been working at Weill Cornell Medical College

Pros

Autonomy good work life balance

Cons

Working with hospital and college staff can be confusing

Senior Patient Coordinator

Current Employee - Senior Patient Coordinator
    Current Employee - Senior Patient Coordinator

I have been working at Weill Cornell Medical College full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

decent benefits and vacation time

Cons

hard to transfer to a different department

HR needs to do more coaching with people wanting to transfer departments

Discrimination runs rampant

I have been working at Weill Cornell Medical College full-time

Pros

Good co workers, benefits were ok

Cons

No support from upper management

Data Control Assistant

Former Employee - Data Control Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Data Control Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Weill Cornell Medical College full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Had opportunities to network with professionals from multiple nearby hospitals (Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, Hospital for Special Surgery, and of course New York-Presbyterian), as well as within the WCMC community itself. Beautiful facilities and excellent support staff. Pay was not great, but the experience was valuable. Excellent benefits to see Cornell physicians.

Cons

This was not a position that would lead to growth within the company; that being said, it was a great jumping off point for graduate school in health sciences and would have been a good start for medical school as well.

Computer Support Technician

I worked at Weill Cornell Medical College

Pros

I liked the experience and challenges I got while working for WCMC

Cons

The HR Process and On-Boarding are very slow to process.
    Team Leads and Managers at time's in the department are not even ready to process new employee's request for access.
    I started working in September, it took the department almost a month to grant me access yet did not have all required access to perform my job requirements.
    Managers in Department are helpful but also tend to pressure you.
    Training is not provided to help new employee's understand or learn about the WCMC Policies.

Be ready for a new employee and not make them wait weeks or month to grant them access. After offered the job make sure to have the required access granted.
    Provided some training to new employee to understand the policies and understanding of what requires a new employee to expect.
    Support your new employee's by guiding them through

College needs to read its own employee mission statement

Former Employee - Operations Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Weill Cornell Medical College

Pros

Benefits are OK, Vacation time good.

Cons

It is a non-profit that makes a lot of money and is thus rife with inefficiencies verging on corruption and there is little motivation to change things as everybody is getting a cut. It is important to note that individual departments could all be different but from my experience in Neurosurgery they are run like mini fiefdoms. Administrators making huge salaries while running the place like a dictatorship, the Chair employing an image consultant and the physicians expensing everything despite making millions while the staff are treated like children who cannot think for themselves.

I read the mission statement on my first day and pinned it to my wall with pride. That was the last time I heard about it. I know there is a desire to become more efficient and the principles are awesome but you need to employ more leaders who know how to run companies. Respected companies don’t come about because they just make a lot of money, they also understand the importance of happy, motivated employees, satisfied customers treated with dignity & respect and shareholders who want a fair return on their investment but not at any price.

Program Assistant

Current Employee - Program Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Program Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at Weill Cornell Medical College full-time (less than an year)

Pros

good benefits, good educational programs

Cons

occasionally must work some weekends

Excellent Institution

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Weill Cornell Medical College full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The very best faculty, one of the best working cultures in academic medicine, excellent benefits compared to peers. Genuine chance to contribute to success. Most employees are passionate and very nice. Moving toward collaboration and transparency. Association with NewYork-Presbyterian. Excellent leadership and an amazing Dean.

Cons

Depending on where you enter in the institution salaries may be below peer institutions. Occasionally politics prevail. Work-life balance is non-existent. Can be difficult to get into the institution. People and groups work in silos. Lack of customer service in some internal areas. Infrastructure and systems are behind peers. Some areas are overstaffed, but most are understaffed.

Keep moving forward and hiring excellent people that have a forward looking vision. Promote transparency. Face difficult decisions. Define the vision more specifically and share it with all.

A good place to work

I have been working at Weill Cornell Medical College full-time

Pros

Everything depends on the department. Different departments/employees have different environments/experiences

Cutting-edge research
    Good working environment
    Good learning environment
    Fast-paced
    Ability to transfer departments

Cons

Again, everything depends on the department. Different employees have different experiences

Nepotism
    HR needs work
    Comparatively subpar benefits. Other research Institutions have better benefits e.g. Few vacation days/holidays, tuition reimbursement is only $5,000 for children $only 12,000 No spouse benefits
    Promotions have limits. External hires tend to earn more than those promoted internally
    Pay discrepancies within peer groups

Its been great!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

The camaraderie has been wonderful. It gives you a reason to go in to work everyday. In my department they really care about their employees.

Cons

Some departments do not get enough funding despite all the money they make. With the amount of time and work done in these departments it would be helpful for the workers.

Fund all the research departments in women's health.

Weill Cornell Medical College Photos