Weill Cornell Medical College

www.med.cornell.edu

Weill Cornell Medical College Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014
Weill Cornell Medical College – New York – “WCMC”

Weill Cornell Medical College – New York – “WCMC”

Weill Cornell Medical College Dean Laurie H. Glimcher

Laurie H. Glimcher

Pros
  • The company offers great benefits, including a generous tuition reembursement (in 10 reviews)

• Great location, great benefits, great co-workers (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • low pay, for NYC this is hard to manage well (in 4 reviews)

• I work in a science lab, and the overwhelming majority of my coworkers are older white men (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Working at Cornell

Research Coordinator (Current Employee)

ProsFriendly staff, there are great perks to return to school (which they actually encourage), work flow is manageable (if you have a solid team)

ConsMicromanaging issues can be annoying. There are still people that are not that proficient at following easy instructions, which in turn slows down work flow.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure everyone is on the same page with completing tasks, especially when it comes time to meet certain deadlines. Last minute crunches are far too commonplace.

good place to work if you plan to apply to the medical program

Research Technician (Former Employee) New York, NY

Prosmulti-departments for research and combine to the clinical reseaerch. access to all rockerfeller , sloan kettering institute and weill cornell facility and equipment. everything is very systematic. multi cultureal working environment

Consthe benefit compare to other research institute is not good, the adjustment of the salary every year is fixed and fair. paper work is slow, the connection and personnel interaction is not so bounded

Weill Cornell is a great place to work for.

ProsGreat opportunities for learning new processes and skills.

ConsUnfortunately their salaries are not sufficient.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpdate salaries for internal staff.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work if you are a recent college graduate and want a nurturing environment.

Research Administrator (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGood benefits and paid unused vacation days. I had a great supervisor who was very understanding when I needed to take time off for family problems. Great medical environment. The students and faculty members were generally very nice.

ConsIt was hard to change positions to one with more responsibility and even movement laterally at WCMC was tough. Administration was slow to process any paperwork.

Great place for starting research

ProsGreat people to work with, passionate about what they do. But it depends on your PI. As someone who isn't a Ph.D or grad student, it was a great starting experience into academia

ConsFunding is a problem for fundamental science, lack of upward career mobility

Good

Research Associate (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsFlexible timing depending on who you work for

ConsLow Salary/ fringe benefits. Discrimination between medical college staff and NYP staff

Advice to Senior ManagementNon tenure research staff with doctorate needs to be compensated better than technicians and non-PhD managers. Only place where there is no free WiFi for the staff, even Starbucks provide free WiFi. There is no childcare/ breast feeding room for medical college staff. Discrepancy in pay scale/ discrimination

Job with a lot of opportunities for growth but it is physically demanding

Animal Care Technician (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsAll that you need is a high school diploma or GED and can get a decent paying job with clear channels to advancement.

ConsThe politics of the job are more complicated than the work. You work with animals do there is the moral discussion. And it is a small department so small quarrels tend to be made bigger than necessary.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou know your employees. Keep their jobs simple and better manage the things that will make them comfortable and they will perform better.

Mediocre at best

ITS (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsWork Life Balance, although depending on your supervisor, this might change.

ConsHire highly inexperienced people, and even though there's a 3 month review period, they just keep them even though they don't deliver, or even know what they're doing.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease advance and hire educated, knowledgeable people in the field, not only people who are comfortable working and being mediocre, who just are there for many years, and thus deserve to go up.
    Keep up with the latest trends to be able to tell if your crew is really trying or educating themselves in them.

love the patients, poor management

Nurse Practitioner (Former Employee) New York, NY

Prosgreat experience to learn medicine, see a lot of great patients

ConsMy dept was very poorly managed, from the top down. Leadership was aloof. There was high turnover so we were forced to cover for others all the time, so much that there was little time to get your own work done. Supervisors gossiped about my co-workers to me which i felt was extremely unprofessional and bred a culture of mistrust.

Advice to Senior Managementit is poor practice and poor to morale to gossip about other employees and to discuss your contempt for your orb department. You need a lesson on good leadership.

Great Learning experience

Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe company offers great benefits, including a generous tuition reembursement. Salaries are competitive, but yearly increases are standard.

ConsEach department is different. I find that Uptown offices offer more by way of cleaner enviroment, more professional employees etc. Downtown practices are not as supportive of its employees furthering education their education which is sad for a college institution.

Advice to Senior ManagementBeing flexible to allow for professional growth creates loyal and dedicated employees. Allowing work-life balances gives the employee job security while learning new skills, obtaining extra certifications and pursing degrees. This will benefit the company as employees will be more inclined to continue their career at your institution.

Worked for Weill Cornell Medical College? Contribute to the Community!