Weill Cornell Medical College
www.med.cornell.edu Ithaca, NY

Weill Cornell Medical College Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014
Weill Cornell Medical College – New York – “WCMC”

Weill Cornell Medical College Dean Laurie H. Glimcher

Laurie H. Glimcher

Pros:
  • "Great location, great benefits, great co-workers"
    in 8 reviews
  • "WCMC gives it's employees a great worklife balance, solid benefits and a great location in NYC for the IT Dept"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "low pay, for NYC this is hard to manage well"
    in 3 reviews
  • "I work in a science lab, and the overwhelming majority of my coworkers are older white men"
    in 9 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Working at Cornell

Research Coordinator (Current Employee)

ProsFriendly staff, there are great perks to return to school (which they actually encourage), work flow is manageable (if you have a solid team)

ConsMicromanaging issues can be annoying. There are still people that are not that proficient at following easy instructions, which in turn slows down work flow.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure everyone is on the same page with completing tasks, especially when it comes time to meet certain deadlines. Last minute crunches are far too commonplace.

Great place for starting research

ProsGreat people to work with, passionate about what they do. But it depends on your PI. As someone who isn't a Ph.D or grad student, it was a great starting experience into academia

ConsFunding is a problem for fundamental science, lack of upward career mobility

Job with a lot of opportunities for growth but it is physically demanding

Animal Care Technician (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsAll that you need is a high school diploma or GED and can get a decent paying job with clear channels to advancement.

ConsThe politics of the job are more complicated than the work. You work with animals do there is the moral discussion. And it is a small department so small quarrels tend to be made bigger than necessary.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou know your employees. Keep their jobs simple and better manage the things that will make them comfortable and they will perform better.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

love the patients, poor management

Nurse Practitioner (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

Prosgreat experience to learn medicine, see a lot of great patients

ConsMy dept was very poorly managed, from the top down. Leadership was aloof. There was high turnover so we were forced to cover for others all the time, so much that there was little time to get your own work done. Supervisors gossiped about my co-workers to me which i felt was extremely unprofessional and bred a culture of mistrust.

Advice to Senior Managementit is poor practice and poor to morale to gossip about other employees and to discuss your contempt for your orb department. You need a lesson on good leadership.

Great Learning experience

Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsThe company offers great benefits, including a generous tuition reembursement. Salaries are competitive, but yearly increases are standard.

ConsEach department is different. I find that Uptown offices offer more by way of cleaner enviroment, more professional employees etc. Downtown practices are not as supportive of its employees furthering education their education which is sad for a college institution.

Advice to Senior ManagementBeing flexible to allow for professional growth creates loyal and dedicated employees. Allowing work-life balances gives the employee job security while learning new skills, obtaining extra certifications and pursing degrees. This will benefit the company as employees will be more inclined to continue their career at your institution.

Good intentions, hard to advance

Attending Physician (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsGreat reputation, patients respect it and you

ConsHard to get promoted. Pay is relatively low versus other institutions. Leadership is somewhat removed from the people that work there and respond only to the issues that they believe need fixing. Relationship with the hospital is complicated at best.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvance people that speak their mind, not people that do what you say

Tread Carefully

Senior Medical Secretary (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsFair compensation, great benefits. And all in all, they take great care of the patients-- NOT their employees. Other than that this place is pretty much horrible.

ConsPoor management, lack of proper training, lack of proper review.

Working for this company was the worst decision of my professional career. They paint a pretty picture of a company that cares and puts their employees first. But in reality it is a lot of politics. I never received a formal review from this place, and was given a "lateral promotion" within two months of my starting because they were so "pleased" with my performance. Little did I know I would have twice the responsibility with out an increase in pay and ultimately be held accountable for the actions (or lack there of) of my coworkers. This place is a joke. Not only that, but when I attempted to file a formal complaint for the harassment I was subjected to from my manager, HR "discouraged" me as it would drastically affect my job.

This place is no good. I left a wonderful job for the "opportunities" this place was willing to give me. Please. Six months and I couldn't take another moment in that place.

Enter at your own risk.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to stop trying to cover your own behinds and learn to treat your employees with more respect. There is a reason this place is so miserable to work in. You take advantage of people and that isn't right. Learn to select managers that possess the interpersonal skills to be able to supervise accordingly and not undermine your workers.

Don't Work here if you need Money!

ProsThere are allot of really smart nice people work here

ConsLow pay for employees
    Horrible management

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate the hard workers you have

Great place to learn and network

Lab Technician (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsYou will always be surrounded by very intelligent and hard working people here. They are all very eager to share their enthusiasm about science and happy to take in interns and volunteers. You won't just scratch the surface, you will learn the ins and out of projects and become very involved with the tasks at hand. Great place to learn.

ConsPay is not the best, as they are often struggling to get funding from the NIH. Many are let go for this reason and volunteers are used to replace the techs until more funding comes in.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter Budgeting.

Good employer, great benefits

ProsGreat benefits, good atmosphere, good people

ConsChallenges of most non-profits - salary good , but not great, no bonuses

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

Worked for Weill Cornell Medical College? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Weill Cornell Medical College reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Weill Cornell Medical College CEO Laurie H. Glimcher. All 93 reviews posted anonymously by Weill Cornell Medical College employees.