Weill Cornell Medical College

Updated January 21, 2015
3.4

Weill Cornell Medical College Dean Laurie H. Glimcher
Laurie H. Glimcher

Pros
  • The company offers great benefits, including a generous tuition reembursement (in 11 reviews)

• Work Life Balance, although depending on your supervisor, this might change (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is non-existent (in 3 reviews)

• low pay, for NYC this is hard to manage well (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Job with a lot of opportunities for growth but it is physically demanding

Current Employee - Animal Care Technician in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Animal Care Technician in New York, NY

I have been working at Weill Cornell Medical College full-time

Pros

All that you need is a high school diploma or GED and can get a decent paying job with clear channels to advancement.

Cons

The politics of the job are more complicated than the work. You work with animals do there is the moral discussion. And it is a small department so small quarrels tend to be made bigger than necessary.

You know your employees. Keep their jobs simple and better manage the things that will make them comfortable and they will perform better.

Working at Cornell

Current Employee - Research Coordinator
    Current Employee - Research Coordinator

I have been working at Weill Cornell Medical College full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Friendly staff, there are great perks to return to school (which they actually encourage), work flow is manageable (if you have a solid team)

Cons

Micromanaging issues can be annoying. There are still people that are not that proficient at following easy instructions, which in turn slows down work flow.

Make sure everyone is on the same page with completing tasks, especially when it comes time to meet certain deadlines. Last minute crunches are far too commonplace.

Mediocre at best

Current Employee - ITS in New York, NY
    Current Employee - ITS in New York, NY

Pros

Work Life Balance, although depending on your supervisor, this might change.

Cons

Hire highly inexperienced people, and even though there's a 3 month review period, they just keep them even though they don't deliver, or even know what they're doing.

Please advance and hire educated, knowledgeable people in the field, not only people who are comfortable working and being mediocre, who just are there for many years, and thus deserve to go up.
    Keep up with the latest trends to be able to tell if your crew is really trying or educating themselves in them.

love the patients, poor management

Former Employee - Nurse Practitioner in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Nurse Practitioner in New York, NY

I worked at Weill Cornell Medical College full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great experience to learn medicine, see a lot of great patients

Cons

My dept was very poorly managed, from the top down. Leadership was aloof. There was high turnover so we were forced to cover for others all the time, so much that there was little time to get your own work done. Supervisors gossiped about my co-workers to me which i felt was extremely unprofessional and bred a culture of mistrust.

it is poor practice and poor to morale to gossip about other employees and to discuss your contempt for your orb department. You need a lesson on good leadership.

Great Learning experience

Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in New York, NY

Pros

The company offers great benefits, including a generous tuition reembursement. Salaries are competitive, but yearly increases are standard.

Cons

Each department is different. I find that Uptown offices offer more by way of cleaner enviroment, more professional employees etc. Downtown practices are not as supportive of its employees furthering education their education which is sad for a college institution.

Being flexible to allow for professional growth creates loyal and dedicated employees. Allowing work-life balances gives the employee job security while learning new skills, obtaining extra certifications and pursing degrees. This will benefit the company as employees will be more inclined to continue their career at your institution.

Good intentions, hard to advance

Current Employee - Attending Physician in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Attending Physician in New York, NY

I have been working at Weill Cornell Medical College full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great reputation, patients respect it and you

Cons

Hard to get promoted. Pay is relatively low versus other institutions. Leadership is somewhat removed from the people that work there and respond only to the issues that they believe need fixing. Relationship with the hospital is complicated at best.

Advance people that speak their mind, not people that do what you say

Great place to learn and network

Former Employee - Lab Technician in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Lab Technician in New York, NY

I worked at Weill Cornell Medical College full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You will always be surrounded by very intelligent and hard working people here. They are all very eager to share their enthusiasm about science and happy to take in interns and volunteers. You won't just scratch the surface, you will learn the ins and out of projects and become very involved with the tasks at hand. Great place to learn.

Cons

Pay is not the best, as they are often struggling to get funding from the NIH. Many are let go for this reason and volunteers are used to replace the techs until more funding comes in.

Better Budgeting.

Tread Carefully

Former Employee - Senior Medical Secretary in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Medical Secretary in New York, NY

I worked at Weill Cornell Medical College full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fair compensation, great benefits. And all in all, they take great care of the patients-- NOT their employees. Other than that this place is pretty much horrible.

Cons

Poor management, lack of proper training, lack of proper review.

Working for this company was the worst decision of my professional career. They paint a pretty picture of a company that cares and puts their employees first. But in reality it is a lot of politics. I never received a formal review from this place, and was given a "lateral promotion" within two months of my starting because they were so "pleased" with my performance. Little did I know I would have twice the responsibility with out an increase in pay and ultimately be held accountable for the actions (or lack there of) of my coworkers. This place is a joke. Not only that, but when I attempted to file a formal complaint for the harassment I was subjected to from my manager, HR "discouraged" me as it would drastically affect my job.

This place is no good. I left a wonderful job for the "opportunities" this place was willing to give me. Please. Six months and I couldn't take another moment in that place.

Enter at your own risk.

You need to stop trying to cover your own behinds and learn to treat your employees with more respect. There is a reason this place is so miserable to work in. You take advantage of people and that isn't right. Learn to select managers that possess the interpersonal skills to be able to supervise accordingly and not undermine your workers.

Don't Work here if you need Money!

I have been working at Weill Cornell Medical College

Pros

There are allot of really smart nice people work here

Cons

Low pay for employees
    Horrible management

Appreciate the hard workers you have

Sometimes exhausting but usually rewarding

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ithaca, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ithaca, NY

I have been working at Weill Cornell Medical College full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Laid back environment. My boss is a great guy and very understanding. Most people are really nice and easy to get along with. Good health benefits.

Cons

Low in diversity. I work in a science lab, and the overwhelming majority of my coworkers are older white men. The pay is decent enough, but raises are very low, and apartments in Ithaca are very expensive.

Weill Cornell Medical College Photos