Weis Markets Reviews

Jonathan Weis

1. Ok company

Former Employee - Stocker in Allentown, PA
    Former Employee - Stocker in Allentown, PA

I worked at Weis Markets part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility, management, workload, pace, salary

Cons

Holidays when you would have to work.

Management doesn't care.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Allentown, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Allentown, PA

I have been working at Weis Markets full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Easy to get a job. They're always hiring.

Cons

It may be easy to get a job, but they're always cutting hours. You must submit any request offs 3 weeks in advance, but you're lucky if you see next week's schedule 1 day in advance. And sometimes they change the schedule after its been posted without notifying employees who had their hours changed. And then the managers get upset when you don't know about your modified hours.

Management from the top on down to the store level bullies everyone into doing things. Senior management will come in one day and yell at you to do something one way. Your District manager will come in a day later and yell at you to change it to another way. And then a week later a "specialist" from Corporate will yell at you for not having it the original way. Its like Office Space. Except it really happens.

Disagree with the management or have a complaint? If they don't like you, be prepared to have your hours slashed or changed to something you don't like. They never fire people they don't like. It's Standard Operating Procedure to cut the person's hours or treat them like crap until they have no choice but to quit.

They cut hours all the time, sometimes refusing to call in replacements if someone calls off. Apparently having *1* cashier on at 5pm is acceptable. Management gets bonuses if they go under their hour budgets, so they can be pretty aggressive with cuts. To the detriment of both customers and employees. Ever wonder why you're waiting in a long line and there's only 1 cashier, 1 person watching the self checkouts and *maybe* 1 lone person trying to watch everything else while the manager hides in their office? Bonuses!

Training is barely existent sometimes. We used to have an extra person on when we had a new employee start to help train. Now the new person gets thrown on the line with little or no training.

Stop being so mean. Seriously. Why do you think you're better than you're employees? The employees at store level are your direct interface with customers. They're the people customers see. Make your store employees happy and they'll make your customers happy and profits will follow.

Stop cutting hours so much. You say customers are top priority, but don't have enough staff to serve them.

Weis Markets chews up its' employees and spits them out without a future to be had.

Former Employee - Store Manager in Allentown, PA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Allentown, PA

I worked at Weis Markets full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

clean stores and stocked shelves without big crowds during the off seasons.

Cons

Weis does not care about the future of their employees

Get rid of the 'good ole' boy' network that still exists; allow those with an education to prosper within the corporate environment.

Horrible experience

Current Employee - Cashier in Allentown, PA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Allentown, PA

I have been working at Weis Markets part-time (less than a year)

Pros

- You get the occasional nice customer who goes always comes through your register because they like talking to you.
    - Most of the other cashiers are nice and willing to help.
    - When you work in the morning they play an oldies station and it's nice compared to music from today.
    - You get paid weekly.

Cons

For the most part, I hate my job at Weis and the only reason I have stuck around for so long (6 months) is because I consistently got the 30 hours I ask for in a week, but now because of the new store manager who is rude and doesn't respect anyone, they have cut my hours down drastically. I went from 30 to 12 hours. When I called off for a surprise party for me aunt (something I have never done before) the manager told me whatever and hung up. I'm sorry, but that is disrespectful and if the attitude of the manager doesn't change and I continue to get little hours, I'm going to quit. I feel like I'm constantly walking on egg shells around the managers and the front end monitors.
    That's another thing, the front end monitors think they have way more power than they do.
    As an introvert, this job drains my energy, and I understand that this is retail and I don't exactly expect my job to be easy, but the fact that Weis only gives you a 10 minute break is beyond me. They pay minimum wage and every week I'm under 200 dollars, at my last job I worked less hours and made more money.
    If you

If you continue to be rude, your employees will all quit.

Weis Markets Photos