Weis Markets

Be The First To
Add Photos

Weis Markets Vice Chairman, CEO and President Jonathan Weis

Jonathan Weis

Pros:
  • "work with your schedule and flexible hours"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Flexible Schedule, Paid Weekly, A Learning Experience"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management---they all have an opinion and they all want to be the boss"
    in 12 reviews
  • "Part time medical is subsidiary not insurance"
    in 9 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Within six months I am possibly being promoted

Produce Clerk (Current Employee)
    Laurel, MD

ProsIf you work hard and show initiative you can strive just about anywhere.

ConsYou start off low in pay but advancement is possible

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing they are great where I work. Security is the only complaint I have about Weis.

Mediocre working experience

Stock Clerk (Current Employee)

ProsFlexible hours and good understanding when you need to call off, Good department level managers, friendly work environment.

ConsPoor pay(3 years with the company, currently do work for four different departments, still making under $8 an hour), few advancement opportunities, middle to upper level management ranges from lazy to downright incompetent.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand better what goes into the day-to-day working of your stores and the roles of employees.

Friendly accommodating ppl coworkers managers. Constantly CUTTING HRS at ALL STORES always hiring ppl!

Cashier (Current Employee)
    Vestal, NY

ProsGreat, friendly, accommodating, fun people, coworkers, managers, etc.

Good for experience.

Used to be good with, (paid), training of new associates, & showing them around the store including the location of break room, (back when I started in October 2010, but gone downhill more & more, since).

Better, & more money, than no job at all, (of course).

ConsConstantly cutting hours at ALL stores, while always hiring causing more cuts. Always UNFAIRLY ADVANCEMENT of NEW associates, (barely 1 year, if that), to "Front End Monitor" &/or "Customer Service" desk position, & not those associates that have been there for 3-4+ years, even when letting the management know you'ld like to be trained for & be able to work those position(s), (like myself)!!!

Weekly paycheck & schedule, (schedule very rarely, (if ever), consistent, & not available to associates in advance, & occasionally changed/edited after put out, & some have checked & written down their hours, but never told of change(s)/edit(s) & then are blamed for not knowing & coming in to work)!

Associates MUST come in to PERSONALLY check & write (&/or enter hours in their mobile device, NOT ALLOWED to have CALL & get hours over phone). Hours NOT AVAILABLE through an "Employee Only" section of store's mobile app &/or store's website, or anything, (not even for advance, let alone same day, viewing). This makes scheduling/planning/setting up appointments, events, (family) get togethers/parties, vacations, choosing when to put for "Availability" if/when applying for another job, let alone when you'd be able to start the other job, etc. Especially when wanting to plan a few/couple months, or so, in advance. And, needing to put in a time-off request form, (signed by manager), in at least 2-3 weeks in advance. If swapping hours with someone a form must also be filled out, signed by both associates, include hours & day(s) swaped & signed by a manager before being handed in & accepted.

This is very inefficient, time consuming, stressful, infuriating, etc., both for the associates (& their family & friends), as well as for those with whom they're trying to make plans, appointments, events, get togethers, parties, etc.!

At times, there are too few cashiers/associates for the number of customers at certain times in the day, week, year, etc., causing lines to build up, & customers becoming upset with us cashiers, complaining to service desk/management, which then comes back around when the management tells us that they got a complaint about us, & say that WE have to make sure that we speed up & get people through quicker & more efficiently!

If they just scheduled/called in more/enough associates, (like those in desperate need of hours, (& allow them enough time to get ready & come in, before the rush they need more associates for is past)), then customers wouldn't have to wait so long, if at all. Work would be much quicker & more efficient, resulting in happier customers, fewer, (if any), complaints, & therefore happier associates, not to mention more repeat business & customers being much happier with having to come back & may even recommend the store, & the employees, to others, bring in new additional customers business!

Advice to Senior ManagementConstantly cutting hours at ALL stores, while always hiring causing more cuts. Always UNFAIRLY ADVANCEMENT of NEW associates, (barely 1 year, if that), to "Front End Monitor" &/or "Customer Service" desk position, & not those associates that have been there for 3-4+ years, even when letting the management know you'ld like to be trained for & be able to work those position(s), (like myself)!!!

I honestly love working for Weis. My coworkers, management, (most) customers, etc. Are really great & very friendly, fun, etc., kinda like a big family!

But the EXTREME CUTTING OF HOURS, (only 1 single day the last 3 weeks in a row, for myself & some fellow coworkers & friends at my store), has made me have to start applying at multiple other places, (including "Wegman's"), for both "Part Time" as well as "Full Time" positions. If I get a "Full Time" position elsewhere, I may have to leave "Weis Markets".

I DO NOT WANT to completely leave "Weis Markets", but if they do not clean up their act & fix these, & many other problem, (some that are just holding them back in past, due to their refusel & failure to adapt, evolve, update, modernize, adopt, bring in & make use of, etc., many new & current technologies, devices, tools, equipment, etc., (such as "Free Public WiFi" for customers to use our app "in-store" including a price check option in the app, (exactly like self price check scanner thoughout stores), put in "Self Price Check" devices throughout the stores for more efficient & simple ease of use for the customers (possibly even have checker show if & how many gas rewards they can get with the scanned item), provide EVERY cashier at EVERY store a handheld scanner for large/heavy/awkward items, so we can VERY EASILY & SAFELY scan them without removing from carts, etc.).

If "Weis Markets" does not fix their hour cutting problems that they have in all their stores, (& preferably most, (if not all), other problems).... They may continue to push me to have no other option than to just simply leave them, & never recommend them to others, or at the very least to warn others about Weis & to be very warey of them!

I used to be "Ya Ya Weis" & always recommend them to anyone looking for a job &/or needing to go shopping. But now, after this & their treatment & refusing to advance me, but always advancing new people barely a year, (if that), after starting. I have not done so in weeks, or maybe a month or so! I do not even want to SHOP AT WEIS personally, unless I really have to, & only buy Weis products for the 10% employee discount, since I'm VERY VERY TIGHT on money, due to their cutting of hours!!!

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Heavy turnover/burn-out rate

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Hillsborough, NJ

Pros90% of employees are local which makes for a special camaraderie. Have met and created friendships with many. Very nice customer base (many of which have gone back to their previous markets).

ConsStore manager both mentally and verbally abusive, gender and age discrimination, no chance for advancement because of nepotism being alive and well, no reviews even after a full year of employment.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend a little time IN the store and ON the floor so that you KNOW who are truly your exceptional employees. Senior (head quarters) need not look any further then their store management to understand why they have such a high employee turn-over.

Close to Home, Friendly employees

NONE (Current Employee)
    Warminster, PA

ProsI'm meeting some nice new people

ConsI would like the store to be a little more busy

Good employer, flexible

Manager On Duty (Current Employee)
    Red Lion, PA

ProsFlexible scheduling, good managers, good pay

ConsOnly part time positions available

Not a Good Place to Work

Produce Clerk (Former Employee)
    Camp Hill, PA

ProsNice people. Everyone is friendly enough. The management is nice but not overly helpful. They are remodeling most of their stores so it feels like a good clean place to work.

Conslow hours, low pay.
    They pay minimum wage with no bonuses and no health care for part time employees.
    You never really feel like you can move up in the company.

A good first job, but not a career.

Overnight Stocker (Current Employee)
    West Hazleton, PA

ProsThe work overnight is quiet and without much interruption, and daytime supervisors.

ConsNot enough workers to go around, one person calls out, everybody's pretty much screwed. The pay is on the lowest end for the work. No regular schedule.

Good atmosphere, great coworkers

Stock Clerk (Former Employee)
    Danville, PA

ProsEasy first job when I worked in High School, great managers, easy to learn, training is step-by-step

ConsNot really any challenges, it was easy to balance my schoolwork and work schedule

It's ok for first job

Night Stocker (Former Employee)
    Sunbury, PA

ProsGreat friendly worker
    Easy job for stock
    Good for first job

Cons-Too low pay:
    All associate will start $7.25/hr on first shift
    They will start $8.00/hr on 3 shift.
    -only $.015/hr raise in every 6 months.
    -Part-time
    -Slow business
      -mixes days

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need give me for good wage because you need focus on my skill instead give them min wage in first place. Don't forget you need look our skill and give them better wage

Worked for Weis Markets? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Weis Markets reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Weis Markets CEO Jonathan Weis. All 139 reviews posted anonymously by Weis Markets employees.