Weis Markets

Updated December 12, 2014
2.3

Weis Markets Vice Chairman, CEO and President Jonathan Weis
Jonathan Weis

Pros
  • work with your schedule and flexible hours (in 6 reviews)

• Flexible Schedule, Paid Weekly, A Learning Experience (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management---they all have an opinion and they all want to be the boss (in 14 reviews)

• They pay minimum wage with no bonuses and no health care for part time employees (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

weis

Current Employee - Bakery Manager in Easton, PA
    Current Employee - Bakery Manager in Easton, PA

I have been working at Weis Markets full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

fellow employees. some management is considerate and realistic in expectations. 10% employee discount is not much but is at least something. Employees also receive a discount on sheet cakes, again, not much but is at least something.

Cons

Upper management forgets what it is like to work in a store. They continue to expect more but with fewer resources and less man-power. Requirements for bonuses are unattainable. Rules are not enforced and therefore are consistently broken with no consequences because management refuses to take action.

Front end Monitor and Bookkeeper

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Weis Markets

Pros

Flexible schedule. Willing to hire high school students or those with little experience.

Cons

Managers do not discipline employees, good workers quit causing an extremely high turnover. Little chance for advancement past the store level.

Stop the constant cutting of hours causing a struggle just to serve the customers. Spend more time finding competent employees and be willing to invest more (training and pay) in them.

Poor place to work

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in York, PA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in York, PA

I worked at Weis Markets part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Somewhat flexible schedule. Some people are fun to work with. They give you off on Christmas. Shortened hours on some holidays.

Cons

Poor pay. Favoritism. Incompetent & lazy managers that do not discipline poor workers or do their own jobs properly.

Give pay raises and promotions to people that deserve it! Pay your employees more than $1 more/hour for Sundays and holidays.

Friendly accommodating ppl coworkers managers.
    Constantly CUTTING HRS at ALL STORES always hiring ppl!

Current Employee - Cashier in Vestal, NY
    Current Employee - Cashier in Vestal, NY

I have been working at Weis Markets part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great, friendly, accommodating, fun people, coworkers, managers, etc.

Good for experience.

Used to be good with, (paid), training of new associates, & showing them around the store including the location of break room, (back when I started in October 2010, but gone downhill more & more, since).

Better, & more money, than no job at all, (of course).

Cons

Constantly cutting hours at ALL stores, while always hiring causing more cuts. Always UNFAIRLY ADVANCEMENT of NEW associates, (barely 1 year, if that), to "Front End Monitor" &/or "Customer Service" desk position, & not those associates that have been there for 3-4+ years, even when letting the management know you'ld like to be trained for & be able to work those position(s), (like myself)!!!

Weekly paycheck & schedule, (schedule very rarely, (if ever), consistent, & not available to associates in advance, & occasionally changed/edited after put out, & some have checked & written down their hours, but never told of change(s)/edit(s) & then are blamed for not knowing & coming in to work)!

Associates MUST come in to PERSONALLY check & write (&/or enter hours in their mobile device, NOT ALLOWED to have CALL & get hours over phone). Hours NOT AVAILABLE through an "Employee Only" section of store's mobile app &/or store's website, or anything, (not even for advance, let alone same day, viewing). This makes scheduling/planning/setting up appointments, events, (family) get togethers/parties, vacations, choosing when to put for "Availability" if/when applying for another job, let alone when you'd be able to start the other job, etc. Especially when wanting to plan a few/couple months, or so, in advance. And, needing to put in a time-off request form, (signed by manager), in at least 2-3 weeks in advance. If swapping hours with someone a form must also be filled out, signed by both associates, include hours & day(s) swaped & signed by a manager before being handed in & accepted.

This is very inefficient, time consuming, stressful, infuriating, etc., both for the associates (& their family & friends), as well as for those with whom they're trying to make plans, appointments, events, get togethers, parties, etc.!

At times, there are too few cashiers/associates for the number of customers at certain times in the day, week, year, etc., causing lines to build up, & customers becoming upset with us cashiers, complaining to service desk/management, which then comes back around when the management tells us that they got a complaint about us, & say that WE have to make sure that we speed up & get people through quicker & more efficiently!

If they just scheduled/called in more/enough associates, (like those in desperate need of hours, (& allow them enough time to get ready & come in, before the rush they need more associates for is past)), then customers wouldn't have to wait so long, if at all. Work would be much quicker & more efficient, resulting in happier customers, fewer, (if any), complaints, & therefore happier associates, not to mention more repeat business & customers being much happier with having to come back & may even recommend the store, & the employees, to others, bring in new additional customers business!

I honestly love working for Weis. My coworkers, management, (most) customers, etc. Are really great & very friendly, fun, etc., kinda like a big family!

But the EXTREME CUTTING OF HOURS, (only 1 single day the last 3 weeks in a row, for myself & some fellow coworkers & friends at my store), has made me have to start applying at multiple other places, (including "Wegman's"), for both "Part Time" as well as "Full Time" positions. If I get a "Full Time" position elsewhere, I may have to leave "Weis Markets".

I DO NOT WANT to completely leave "Weis Markets", but if they do not clean up their act & fix these, & many other problem, (some that are just holding them back in past, due to their refusel & failure to adapt, evolve, update, modernize, adopt, bring in & make use of, etc., many new & current technologies, devices, tools, equipment, etc., (such as "Free Public WiFi" for customers to use our app "in-store" including a price check option in the app, (exactly like self price check scanner thoughout stores), put in "Self Price Check" devices throughout the stores for more efficient & simple ease of use for the customers (possibly even have checker show if & how many gas rewards they can get with the scanned item), provide EVERY cashier at EVERY store a handheld scanner for large/heavy/awkward items, so we can VERY EASILY & SAFELY scan them without removing from carts, etc.).

If "Weis Markets" does not fix their hour cutting problems that they have in all their stores, (& preferably most, (if not all), other problems).... They may continue to push me to have no other option than to just simply leave them, & never recommend them to others, or at the very least to warn others about Weis & to be very warey of them!

I used to be "Ya Ya Weis" & always recommend them to anyone looking for a job &/or needing to go shopping. But now, after this & their treatment & refusing to advance me, but always advancing new people barely a year, (if that), after starting. I have not done so in weeks, or maybe a month or so! I do not even want to SHOP AT WEIS personally, unless I really have to, & only buy Weis products for the 10% employee discount, since I'm VERY VERY TIGHT on money, due to their cutting of hours!!!

Heavy turnover/burn-out rate

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hillsborough, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hillsborough, NJ

I worked at Weis Markets part-time (more than an year)

Pros

90% of employees are local which makes for a special camaraderie. Have met and created friendships with many. Very nice customer base (many of which have gone back to their previous markets).

Cons

Store manager both mentally and verbally abusive, gender and age discrimination, no chance for advancement because of nepotism being alive and well, no reviews even after a full year of employment.

Spend a little time IN the store and ON the floor so that you KNOW who are truly your exceptional employees. Senior (head quarters) need not look any further then their store management to understand why they have such a high employee turn-over.

Within six months I am possibly being promoted

Current Employee - Produce Clerk in Laurel, MD
    Current Employee - Produce Clerk in Laurel, MD

I have been working at Weis Markets part-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you work hard and show initiative you can strive just about anywhere.

Cons

You start off low in pay but advancement is possible

Nothing they are great where I work. Security is the only complaint I have about Weis.

Mediocre working experience

Current Employee - Stock Clerk
    Current Employee - Stock Clerk

I have been working at Weis Markets part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours and good understanding when you need to call off, Good department level managers, friendly work environment.

Cons

Poor pay(3 years with the company, currently do work for four different departments, still making under $8 an hour), few advancement opportunities, middle to upper level management ranges from lazy to downright incompetent.

Understand better what goes into the day-to-day working of your stores and the roles of employees.

Close to Home, Friendly employees

Current Employee - NONE in Warminster, PA
    Current Employee - NONE in Warminster, PA

I have been working at Weis Markets part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I'm meeting some nice new people

Cons

I would like the store to be a little more busy

Good employer, flexible

Current Employee - Manager On Duty in Red Lion, PA
    Current Employee - Manager On Duty in Red Lion, PA

I have been working at Weis Markets part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible scheduling, good managers, good pay

Cons

Only part time positions available

Not a Good Place to Work

Former Employee - Produce Clerk in Camp Hill, PA
    Former Employee - Produce Clerk in Camp Hill, PA

I worked at Weis Markets part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice people. Everyone is friendly enough. The management is nice but not overly helpful. They are remodeling most of their stores so it feels like a good clean place to work.

Cons

low hours, low pay.
    They pay minimum wage with no bonuses and no health care for part time employees.
    You never really feel like you can move up in the company.