Weizmann Institute of Science

4.7
CEO

1. Intern - Neuroscience

I worked at Weizmann Institute of Science

Pros

Top-notch research, all institutions in the US I've been working for valued my experience at the Weizmann very high (e.g. Cornell's Psych Department)
    Very open and diverse atmosphere

Cons

I was quite content with my experience, also the treatment as international was unexpected good (e.g. Accommodation were newly renovated, Institute gave me Cafeteria Card with unlimited covered meals)
    But I have no idea or experience about payment or retention plans

2. Best research in Israel

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Rehovot (Israel)
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Rehovot (Israel)

I have been working at Weizmann Institute of Science full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Without an exception, the best place in Israel to do science. Great people, lots of funding opportunities, research services are top notch.

Cons

The living arrangements are not easy, Israel is an expensive place to live in.

3. a great place for science and application

Current Employee - PhD Student in Rehovot (Israel)

I have been working at Weizmann Institute of Science full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Weizmann ensures great working environment, especially for students and foreign post-docs.You don't have to worry about anything else - just do your job.

Cons

Israel is not an easy country to live in sometimes. The payment is average european, but leaving is a bit more expensive then in Europe.

5. I have been working at Weizmann Institute of Science full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Weizmann is a world leading institute for science. It offers students a very supportive environment to work in. The stipends are the highest in the country.

Cons

Due to the fact that the income is recognized as a stipend (for tax purposes) we do not receive social benefits such as health insurance or pension.

6. great place to work at

Current Employee - Post Doc in Rehovot (Israel)
    Current Employee - Post Doc in Rehovot (Israel)

Pros

great place, educational and scientific environment, lots of lectures from all kinds are available on a daily basis. good equipment in departments. great people

Cons

available meals (which you have to pay for) are not so good

7. Great experience

Former Employee - Intern in Rehovot (Israel)
    Former Employee - Intern in Rehovot (Israel)

I worked at Weizmann Institute of Science full-time

Pros

Friendly people, with a passion for science.
    One of the leading scientific research institutions.
    Truly scientific environment.
    No formal requirements.

Cons

If you are not hard-working might not be the place for you. Lots of independent work. Need to be a person that can stay motivated and want to work hard.

8. Physics Ph.D. at Weizmann Institute

Former Employee - PhD Student in Rehovot (Israel)
    Former Employee - PhD Student in Rehovot (Israel)

I worked at Weizmann Institute of Science full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The research is done at a very high level, with a very helpful atmosphere. If you choose your research group well, you will have almost unlimited funds for research equipment, which I think is the most important thing for experimental physics. There are a lot of opportunities for conferences (in Israel and outside), and different collaborations. Salary is very good, though you are not allowed to complement it with outside work or scholarships.

Cons

It is possible to choose groups and professors unwisely, so a lot of research in advance should be done (read recent papers, talk to students). However, if you start with an M.Sc., the whole first year is spent on (sometimes very hard) courses, so you have the time for it.

9. Excellent place to study and evolve

Current Employee - PhD Student in Rehovot (Israel)

Pros

Excellent core facilities that have staff that teaches you and helps you in your research. A relatively high pay check. Most importantly the Feinberg School is run in a way that tries to help the student be all he can.

Cons

The education program is a bit lacking in the investment of time to get a coherent study flow. Most courses repeat every two years so you could have the first year a course in advanced immunology and in the next year the basic course.

Advice to Management

Make a course schedule in which fundamental courses repeat every year.

10. a fantastic place for people with passion to science

Current Employee - MSC Student in Rehovot (Israel)
    Current Employee - MSC Student in Rehovot (Israel)

Pros

The faculty is world class, the environment is super-friendly, there's a truly scientific environment, there aren't a lot of formal requirements and you can really focus on researching the things that interest you. No tuition for MSc/PhD students and a nice stipend.

Cons

A lot of independent work so you really have to stay motivated and work on your own to succeed (no one will push you). In some areas research areas are quite narrow.

Advice to Management

More emphasis on gradually mentoring the students into the research world.

11. CS Postdoc at WIS

Former Employee - Postdoctoral in Rehovot (Israel)
    Former Employee - Postdoctoral in Rehovot (Israel)

I worked at Weizmann Institute of Science full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People in the department are very friendly, administration has a very positive atmosphere. Cookie breaks every day, beer every week, and a nice stipend in Israeli standards. They were very easygoing about when I start the postdoc and when I end it, and everything was well arranged, that is, when you arrive you have an office and a computer waiting for you, not something standard in Israel.

Cons

Relatively small group. Very little contact with undergraduate students, which is both a blessing and a curse. Very few formal requirements - again a blessing and a curse.

RSS Feed </> Embed