Welch Allyn

Updated February 10, 2015
Updated February 10, 2015
3.1

Steve Meyer

Pros
  • Great Team and work environment (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Management seems to indecisive in some matters and there is certainly a lack of communication (in 3 reviews)

• Exports jobs, blames universal healthcare, but, is a medical device company (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Very fast, Very friendly

Former Intern - Co-Op in Skaneateles Falls, NY
    Former Intern - Co-Op in Skaneateles Falls, NY

I worked at Welch Allyn as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

-Lots of pivoting from project to project.
    -Social activities are great; company wide ultimate Frisbee and volleyball teams.
    -Lots of chance to get in touch with everyone including the CEO.
    -Lots of support for training
    -Access to any supplies you need to get a job done.
    -Whole place shuts down to do charity once a year.

Cons

-Middle of nowhere
    -Snow, lots of snow

Keep it up!

100 Year old Company trying to grow.

I have been working at Welch Allyn

Pros

Welch Allyn is a strong employer in the central New York area. There have been many changes which are moving WA from a family owned small company feel to being focused on growth and margins. This still leaves some of the old perks which many people remember.

Cons

The company is trying to grow and has been through a few failed approaches. Many functions are very top heavy in the organization and communication to employees is often unclear. So much of the decision making on a day to day basis is by consensus through meeting after meeting. WA is a medium sized company with all the problems of a large company.

Invest in your employees who add customer value. Take a hard look at what value is added by the senior manager, director and VP level employees. Finally follow a path of hard work and do not hope that the next short term shake up will result in the company growth you are looking for.

Great experience but becoming to much like ever other medical device company

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Welch Allyn

Pros

For the most part people are dedicated to their job's and work hard often going beyond what is required of them.

Cons

If you do not leave in the small town where the company is based you are an outsider.

Go public

Great people to work with

I worked at Welch Allyn part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I really enjoyed working with the people at Welch Allyn. I worked part time for a while and really enjoyed the projects I worked on. If you have a passion for medical products and helping others it is a great company to work for.

Cons

Hours were long near deadlines, which could be stressful.

Not a bad place

I have been working at Welch Allyn

Pros

-Good benefits
    - Friendly teammates
    - Good reputation in industry

Cons

- Rapidly dwindling trust in management
    - Not much effort to build software team

Profit is important but so is building good teams. Invest in good people don't just look for bottom line.

Working for Welch Allyn

I worked at Welch Allyn full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The people at Welch Allyn is what made the company a good place to work. A private company that for years looked long term 3 years ahead and not a quarter by quarter mentality. Always tried to do the right thing by its customers

Cons

Last three years leadership has changed the atmosphere away from its almost 100 year history. Just a different feeling of the organization in recent years. All corporate and much less family.

Get back to what made them a strong company for 100 years. Keep your good people and use their knowledge to help senior management make good decisions. Cant afford to continue to loose your most knowledgeable people.

Good heart

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at Welch Allyn full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company has a high ethical standard and takes great care to treat its employees kindly. It makes high quality products. Employment tends to be long-term, often greater than 20 years.

Cons

Promotions and significant pay increases are rare. This is partly due to the isolated location of the company headquarters, and partly due to slow turnover of employees (which is a good thing).

To increase the breadth of top management wisdom, bring more people from other regions and industries into upper management positions.

Too much reliance on the good old days

Former Employee - Analyst in Skaneateles Falls, NY
    Former Employee - Analyst in Skaneateles Falls, NY

I worked at Welch Allyn full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The on-site company gym is excellent. It's a friendly work environment where most people get along well and it isn't combative.

Cons

Promotions are extremely rare. Once you have your job, you're likely going to be in it for a long time regardless of performance. Most of the company has been there a long time and still think it should be the same way it was in the 80s. Most new employees (under 5 yrs of service) who I spoke with about this are miserable.

There's a culture of too much planning without execution in the inflated management ranks. This company is not as big as it's made out to be. The company runs on a dedicated few while the majority likes to coast because it's the safest thing to do.

Not a bad place to work at

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Skaneateles, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Skaneateles, NY

I have been working at Welch Allyn full-time

Pros

- Other employees I work with
    - some of the company policies and values
    - benefits and compensation

Cons

- Not much growth personally
    - some of the senior management
    - Don't care much about the software growth as its much of a manufacturing company tends to be implementing the manufacturing polices to the software side of it.
    - its become more about the senior managements profits than caring about the employees too

Treat your employees as such and stop blaming them or stop creating the toxic environment to work with.
    I agree that caring the customers is an important thing, but to do that you should start with caring about your own employees, if there is a problem doing that I am not sure we will be successful doing with outside customers.

Fantastic

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Welch Allyn as an intern

Pros

This was my best internship I've ever had. The culture is great, and employee morale is high. Management really cares about employees.

Cons

Can't think of any! It was a great experience.

All was great. Keep doing what you're doing!

Welch Allyn Photos