Welch's

Updated October 12, 2014
Updated October 12, 2014
2.3

Brad Irwin

An educational and enriching experience.

I worked at Welch's as an intern

Pros

My supervisor trusted me to work on my own, I was given valuable tasks that made a difference to the company, and the people I worked with were friendly and helpful professionals who made me feel like I was a real member of their team.

Cons

The biggest con was that the staff was largely unfamiliar with new technology, so that I found myself having to repeatedly explain how to use the company software even as I was still learning how to use it.

It felt like there was a lot of distance between the departments and between management and the employees, so fostering the growth of communication and friendships within the company might make employees more relaxed and open to collaboration.

Accounting and finance

Former Employee - Finance Manager in Concord, MA
    Former Employee - Finance Manager in Concord, MA

I worked at Welch's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good people, good benefits, good products

Cons

Turn over in senior management led to lots of uninformed por decisions.

Learn your business and develop your strategies based on the input of long term employees rather than bringing in consultants and making double blind decisions.

Great learning experience not enough room to grow

I have been working at Welch's

Pros

Very close relationships with co-workers, small company feel, knowing your work matters for the owners of the company, lots of diverse experiences, great career starter.

Cons

As a small company they are very risk adverse and slow to change, limited ability to invest in new ideas, lack of movement due to long tenured employees.

Good place to work despite struggle with old school culture

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Concord, MA

I worked at Welch's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The flexible work schedule was literally a life saver for me. Co-workers were great. Pay and benefits were competitive. Brand is great.

Cons

There was a disconnect between what upper management said and what they did, creating a lack of credibility. The management and marketing were behind the times. Culture was mainly old school.

There is only one way, the Welch Way

I worked at Welch's full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great Benefits for exempt and non-exempt individuals

Cons

While the company is progressive when it comes to benefits, probably because it is headquartered in MA, it was the most sexist company I have ever worked for, women need not apply for anything at the plant level. Sure there are some token women in managerial positions but it was clear that it was a boys club. Men get the promotions; men make the big bucks. Any ideas that you brought to the table from other experiences? Forget it, there was only one way to do things. An attitude of superiority in the marketplace, quality and manufacturing, but their ideas were old and out of touch. Many people in high places, who have spent almost their entire career with one company, willing to let the front line supervisors take the fall for their inadequacies.

Wake up to the inequity in salaries and treatment of women or you might find yourself in a lawsuit someday. Stop thinking about your bonuses and try and remember that you have real people not robots working for you. Fix the "work-life" balance!

I never felt valued by upper management as an employee for my knowledge and contributions to the company.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lawton, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lawton, MI

I worked at Welch's full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The pay and benefits were great for the area. A lot of the employees were close friends and after awhile they became extended family.

Cons

Too much overtime and a seemingly lack of concern for family and quality of life outside of work by management. Always felt as if we weren't valued as people but rather only as bodies to run machines.

Put yourself in the shoes of your employees. Do their job for a week, forced and last minute overtime included. Talk to them and treat them as if they are family. After all, you spend as much daily time with them as you do with your family. Listen to them, don't just hear them talk. They have a lot of pride and have a lot to contribute to the success of the company.

From lean to bone

Former Employee - Drone in Concord, MA
    Former Employee - Drone in Concord, MA

I worked at Welch's

Pros

Great, dedicated people who really believe in what the brand name means to their family and community, more so than the management does it seems. We have (had) some really solid performers in front-line supervisors on the plant level and a mixture of die-hards and new people to the organization to keep fresh ideas and experience blended.

Cons

There's only so much "lean" you can take before you start to cut to the bone. Top level management changed so often it was a revolving door and those who weren't cut were fearful for their jobs. Since they were nice people, they didn't fingerpoint, but the lack of decisionmaking was just as harmful. The ability to make decisions on a lower level, even so much as to mail a package, required authorization and signatures. And since no one wanted to make a decision, they brought in the analysts from Bain and followed their instructions blindly. The job cuts in the plants and the corporate facilities were too much, too fast to allow for the right turnover process.

Stop listening to third parties and lead the company, that is what the leadership team is supposed to do. Pay more attention to the impact your decisions have on the safety of your employees and what the exhaustion is doing to them. Lead for the long term and stop thinking in terms of two year paybacks as if you think the company is going to be gone in 24 months. If you keep this up, it will be.

And

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Welch's

Pros

Friendships, great brand, outstanding mid level managers

Cons

Poorly executed project planning! Needs improvement

Weak CEO and Senior Leaders

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Concord, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Concord, MA

I have been working at Welch's

Pros

CPG company just outside Boston, MA.
    Half-day Fridays in the summer and winter hours.
    Well-known consumer brand with a larger brand name than sales (although beware that the current CEO and leadership team does not know how to rectify).

Cons

Welch's is a small company (<200 HQs employees and <$800M) that has NONE of the positive traits of a small company (nimble, innovative, collaborative, decisive) and MOST/ALL of the negative qualities of a large company (slow, hierarchical, risk-adverse). The CEO and senior leadership team does not have a vision or corporate strategies to guide the rest of the company and they are indecisive when teams ask for approvals to invest, launch, etc. In addition, the CEO does not have a charismatic leadership style that engages and inspires employees to follow him. Employees do not believe that the CEO is leading the company towards greatness or even, at the very least, growth! Welch's is a "family-farmer owned" company but the culture is anything but family-friendly. The CEO has no interest in transforming the Welch's culture into a family-oriented company, let along a great place to work.

Develop a vision for the company and corporate strategies that can cascade throughout the company. You appear to be expecting the strategies to come from the bottom up. Care about your employees as much as you care about the growers. When you recognize employees who simply "manage up" rather than getting their work done and leading teams effectively, you are sending a message that the "do-ers" will not succeed at Welch's. Do you really want to reward people who say what you want to hear and regurgitate what others have already said, not new ideas or what is the truth of the current business situation?

Reorganization

I worked at Welch's

Pros

Great Location, USED to have passionate people, Tremendous Brand with storied history, strong marketing presence, ability to work in almost every area of the business, now has plenty of elbow room.

Cons

Very poor execution of recent reorganization
    3rd rate senior management team
    Terrible communication program
    Computer systems support from senior management non existent (just MAKE it work attitude)
    Senior management with no industry/business organization experience with no intent to learn.

Sometimes the best course of action is to admit a mistake or poor judgment, then work to correct it. The attitude has been that once they make a decision, they're going forward with it regardless of the outcome. The reorganization was the most poorly executed I've ever seen. The business process re-engineering that was promised never occurred, so the work load on those left increased exponentially.
    Decisions were made with no input from the existing employees that understood the complex operating structure of the company, so many critical success factors for continued operations were missed.
    The ERP system DOES NOT WORK!!! And telling people to make it work will not fix the problem. Roll up your sleeves, sit with your employees at lowest level of the business and understand the business, the institutional environment, the cooperative system, and your business model before making changes. Your history of making change and promising to deal with the problems then falling down on that are going to kill the company!!
    Board of Directors - Challenge your senior management team!!! Find out what they're doing and verify that it will work in your line of business, with your business paradigms. Remember, although it's still a business that needs to compete against other businesses in the same industry, your company was set up as a cooperative for a reason. There are benefits and costs that come with that structure and you can't ignore them when your senior management (who has no idea what those benefits and costs are) act with blinders on against the mandates of a cooperative!!!!