Welk Resort Group Reviews

Updated March 26, 2015
58 reviews filtered by
3.3
Jonathan Fredricks

Pros
  • The Welk Resort is a great place to find work while you are looking for a career elsewhere (in 9 reviews)

• There is a lot to learn in any aspect of a corporate or business setting; from HR to specific operations of supporting departments (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • No real sense of loyalty/appreciation on behalf of the company (in 5 reviews)

• It is so obvious that these are written by upper management, especially using the scripted wannabe Welk phrases and robotic tales (in 5 reviews)

1. Time Just Fly's!

I have been working at Welk Resort Group full-time

Pros

We have an amazing upper management Team both at our Corporate Office along with the Resort. If you get the opportunity to speak with them you will find out very quickly that they have all been part of the Welk Family for many years. This to me speaks highly of the organization. Coming from a large Corporation and getting the opportunity to join this Family has been a giant blessing. The Employees within my department and those departments that I work with have all made this transition easy-they are all very friendly and approachable and have always offered help when needed.
    The offer great benefits for the Employees that include medical, dental, vision, 401K (most companies no longer offer this) and most of all the Employee Stock Option (when was the last time anyone offered this). Welk offers wonderful discounted meals to the associates along with the discount at our Starbucks (I know all the associates love this). Upon hire they had a wonderful Safety Recognition Event for all the associates where they gave away a TON of GREAT prices.
    The internal training that they offer to the Employees has been exciting and helpful. This organization has so much wonderful history that it truly makes it feel like a Giant Family. The days have just flown by since I joined this wonderful organization and I look forward to many more years of wonderful growth and opportunities.

Cons

Would like to see a menu for employee meals with "specials" that change often. I know employees like this sort of stuff and currently we just offer a discount off the regular menu.
    You will definitely need to be a hard worker that can work in a fast paced environment-this is just the industry and can be very rewarding if you put your all into it.

Advice to Management

Continue to work with those Employees that want to be here and that want to grown with the organization. These are the people that will help the company continue to Grow in a position light.

2. A promising company that values their associates

Current Employee - Satisfied Employee in Escondido, CA
    Current Employee - Satisfied Employee in Escondido, CA

I have been working at Welk Resort Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have been privileged to be an associate of Welk Resorts for the past five years. What is most appealing to me about this company is their investment in their associates. While associate compensation may be lower than others in our industry, the investment made in their associate’s balances what we might not be receiving in “dollar bills.” For example, a pro-active, companywide Wellbeing Program that promotes associates participation in their personal wellbeing through nutrition programs and presentations, physical wellbeing challenges, and yoga/breathing sessions, ON THE CLOCK! My favorite thus far, was when they brought professional masseuses’ to our locations. This is an incredible investment to our own health and wellbeing. In addition to this, we have very reasonable employee rates for Employee reservations at our Welk Resort locations. Furthermore, we have company events in which all associates come together to either be informed on what is going on within the company (All Associates meetings, Leadership summits) or events in which we celebrate our company's successes (50th Anniversary, Holiday parties, WIG Celebration). The list continues with Associate courses hosted by Shutopa Das that enhance us as Welk Associates by familiarizing us with our company culture, values, history, our service standards and even our Leadership standards. We cannot forget our associate recognition programs such as the quarterly “President’s Club Award” luncheon/awards and the bi-annual safety raffles in WRSD, in which employees have an opportunity to win lavish prizes. Through this type of associate investment I am reminded that I can trust our Executive Leadership team to continue to devote in the ones that dedicate their 40 hours a week (or much more, if you are an exempt associate) in the success of this company. That is why this is the company I have chosen to stay and grow in.

Cons

As briefly mentioned above- I have to admit, compensation is lower than other competitors, however, as also mentioned above, I am perfectly content, with the compensation I get, along with the Associate investment I am receiving on a day to day basis. Including my own leaders that invest their time in my personal growth and development. I would rather have that, than work for a competitor that pays me more, but keeps me stagnant with no investment on my growth.
    The only other CON I would have to share is the integrity and honesty of our Sales team. I believe our Company would have an even higher success rate if there was a clear line of trust as well as clear and honest communication between Sales and Operation associates. I think as a result Welk would be known as a more credible and favorable brand. If our own associates question the integrity of our Sales team, then how do we expect our prospects to trust our brand?

Advice to Management

Based on the con mentioned above, my only advise would be to consider the disconnect between Sales/Operations and how we can become ONE UNITED team Welk!

3. Great Company

Current Employee - Marketing Agent in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Marketing Agent in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Welk Resort Group

Pros

pay and values are fantastic

Cons

really can't think of any

Advice to Management

none

5. Family oriented company

I have been working at Welk Resort Group

Pros

Great place to work. They care about employees.

Cons

Fast paced, Location could be better

6. A great company that is growing!

I have been working at Welk Resort Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Leadership - Welk Resort Group is filled with great leaders from top to bottom. That being said, I feel my department has the best department head in the company. She is fair to all employees and she is not a micro manager like some other managers. She also gives us the freedom to make important decisions which makes for a much more efficient department. She is also a great mentor who is willing to take the time to teach us new things to help us grow in our careers.

Perks - Some of the perks of working with Welk are they offer 401k matching, have an ESOP, provide a comprehensive benefits package, annual appraisals and they have special events at least 2-3 times a year for the employees and their significant others and sometimes their families.

Welk Resort can be a very desirable place to work for someone looking for a great career. It is especially good for someone who starts off at an entry level position and wants to work their way up. I myself started off at an entry level position and have moved up multiple times since starting work here. The company has been growing year after year. The continued growth is not only good for the company but the growth also means there are many more opportunities to move up within the company. In the long term, I believe this is a very stable company to pursue a career with.

Cons

Compensation - Although compensation is fair,I believe it is not on par with other companies in the region.

HR - A few bad apples can spoil the bunch so to say. Overall, I think HR does a great job with promoting culture along with many other things HR typically does. However, I am not sure if they are understaffed, overworked or they are not happy with where they are at in their careers, but I think a few of their employees at the resort could be friendlier and more resourceful. HR is a great department though and they really do a lot of great things for the employees and they really do a good job with promoting Welk culture.

Tools/Resources To Work With: Many companies have their challenges with staying up-to-date on the latest software, networking, etc., but I think Welk is really lacking in this area. I feel that one of the programs we use on a daily basis(TSW) is beyond out of date and desperately needs an update. Some of the software/servers we do use crash on a regular basis because it can't handle everyone using it at once. This is a recurring thing month after month, it has been for a while and I feel like its not being addressed to everyone's satisfaction. Having these issues with software/servers crashing regularly really inhibits efficiency and productivity.

Advice to Management

Overall, Welk is truly a great company to work for and I would recommend it to anyone pursuing a long lasting career.

7. Great company - with growing pains!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Escondido, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Escondido, CA

I worked at Welk Resort Group full-time

Pros

Great people. Good benefits. Nice environment.

Cons

Amount of support staff is not adequate for the rapid growth of the company.
    Work-Life balance is addressed but not supported.

Advice to Management

Need to be more cohesive between divisions.

Working for Welk was a bit of a drag

Former Employee - OPC/Lead Generator in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - OPC/Lead Generator in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Welk Resort Group part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Getting to go to the events for free was very cool. I got to go to monster jam, and watch a NASCAR race for the first time.

Cons

Having to drive all over the place for work and no compensation. Most companies Compensate the cost of travel.

Advice to Management

Please reconsider some kind of gas compensations for your employees.

9. Good Company

I have been working at Welk Resort Group

Pros

Good Company to work for

Cons

The company is moving to a timeshare mentality.

10. Admin Assistant

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Marcos, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Marcos, CA

I worked at Welk Resort Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Company values for inside and outside the workplace

Cons

Were not able to provide me with a long term position

Welk goes above and beyond to take care of their associates.

I have been working at Welk Resort Group full-time

Pros

As long as you are ethical and give an honest days work, Welk is a great place to grow and plan on a career.

Cons

I am at a lost for a con, being that I am not a disgruntled entitlement type person, I cant find a con.

Advice to Management

Continue to work hard and don't forget the little guys and what they do for the company. They are the backbone of the resort