Welk Resort Group

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jonathan Fredricks

A small but powerful game changer in the hospitality industry

ProsA five star organization whose management is ethical, respectful and takes personal responsibility. In short, they walk the walk. Welk is the most rewarding, collaborative and nurturing environment I've encountered. It's not perfect, but it's challenging, fast-paced, growing, exhilarating and fun.

ConsWith as many moving parts as the sales, marketing, and resort operations teams have, sometimes the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. The results range from duplicated efforts to stalled projects.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to seek feedback and input from the team on the ground. Rely less on pricey and potentially out-of-touch outside consultants, especially as a response to minor crises. Require accountability for all new planning.

Fun, values oriented, dedicated leaders, growth with focus on talent development, learning & culture.

San Diego, CA

ProsGrowth with lots of opportunities. Leadership is remarkable. empowered employees. Focus on robust business outcomes and talent development.

ConsNone that is critical to mention.

Advice to Senior ManagementWay to Go! Thank you for fostering growth, talent, learning, leadership, process excellence and overall wellbeing!

Love Welk Resort Group

ProsI love the fact they are so into the well-being of the associates and have all the activities to prove it.

ConsThere are way too many bonuses given out to the sales and upper management and not enough to the people who help to keep the company going as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more timely when it comes to reviews and raises. Also distribute the wealth with all associates and not just the sales people and upper management. Every time I turn around, they are getting bonuses for something!

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Company needs to invest in what its believed to be about

Tour Host (Current Employee)
    Escondido, CA

ProsIts a vacation style work place , you have the opportunity to change peoples lives, everyday is different, and easy freeway access. I've worked for this company for eight years ...three in Marketing phone reservations , Member Relations and sales in Palm Springs, Escondido Member Relations and Sales... Love my co workers and the clients I've worked with in the years with this company...I also am an Owner. And love working there so what your about to read is not from sour lips. But to shed light onto the darkness that is swept under the rug for far to long...I know I might be let go after writing this but I feel it is for the good of the company....and will enhance the employment satisfaction where it is needed..

ConsThey offer ISOP only if you work for 4 years or more and this only starts j2013 your past work years are not taken into count..NOT ETHICAL ... the insurance fees are high, you only get paid twice a month in sales.. last day of the month and the 15th of the month ...the ( look out for number one attitude is so wrong ) in sales your numbers are what keeps you employed or terminates .. but if you have a client who just can not become an owner due to several reasons (no need to disclose) the rep shouldn't have that counted against them but it is...This company has so many good qualities about them yet over look the bread and butter of the company... for some reason its looked at as....The pay scale and bonuses are good so thats all they as a company have to offer.....and yes its true but the benefits are not just a given... ITS WORKED FOR WITH DEDICATION TENACITY AND DEVOTION BY THE REPS...

Advice to Senior ManagementThey do not invest in the workers who have years of dedicated time into the company. for some reason it is believed that letting go an employee is better then investing time to help them ... It is believed that hiring new employees and spending thousands on their training is better then investing time in dedicated employees retraining to update them and enhance their talents already known with the company ... I along with many employees feel this is great loss for the company...they rather throw away good talent then practice what they preach ( we are like a family) I along with several other employees have recommend this many times to the company manegment but it is always over looked....

Making guest connections has never been easier!

Activities Attendant/Host (Current Employee)
    Escondido, CA

ProsFlexible hours whether or not you are currently in school.
    Fun and engaging activities staff, very creative and always bringing something new to the table!
    Amazing work ethic from a majority of the staff, everybody is well rounded with a variety of talents coming left and right!
    Perfect job for extroverted people! A great place to learn to become a "social butterfly" and adopt a whole new lifestyle (must be willing to live a little).
    Challenging guest situations and requests keep you on your toes!
    Never the same experience, even if your duties are the same day after day.
    Very relaxed and welcoming environment, both within employees and guests.
    Stressful days and situations are rare.
    Great environment to challenge and improve your creativity, quick thinking skill, ability to multitask!
    Great place to work (when you ONLY have to work or deal with YOUR own department).

ConsSlight tension between NON-COMMUNICATING departments. (Sales dept is very... no one likes them)
    Due to lack of proper and effective communication between departments, guests are usually being misinformed, misdirected, situations misinterpreted.
    Great place to find a JOB... CAREERS, not so much.
    Employees are not valued enough. THERE IS SOME APPRECIATION, but not enough.
    Employees are... replaceable and undervalued. No real sense of loyalty/appreciation on behalf of the company.
    Understaffed, underfunded/under-budgeted, and poorly prepared/equipped...
    Engineering department USES DUCK TAPE TO FIX EVERYTHING, or practically does... really makes you wonder if they can actually get away with their position title.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to "lowly" employees more... they have great ideas and DO A LOT MORE THAN YOU KNOW.
    Prepare a better budget for the departments... almost everything breaks down weekly. That or get better tape!
    WORK ON COMMUNICATION (highly recommended), communication within a department is good, work on communication BETWEEN ALL DEPARTMENTS.

Great Company!

ProsPeople. Very family oriented. Benefits.

ConsPay is on the lower side in my opinion. If you want great help you need to pay to keep the associates.

Great Company to work for

ProsThere is major potential for growth, such support from management and I feel so supported every day

ConsNot all employees feel the same way, some people are very negative and can bring the vibe of the environment down

Could be a lot better.

Director (Current Employee)
    Vista, CA

ProsThere are some great benefits for upper management and corporate associates and some great outings for management/upper management and corporate.

ConsA lot of the key players, regular hourly full time and part time associates, that are undervalued and overlooked.
    If you're looking for a career in the hospitality field, use Welk as a learning tool and work somewhere else. Departments to stay away from are mainly HR and resort safety mainly due to the management styles.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would start with the overall appreciation of the people that keep the company running; you know what that means.

Harassment at its finest

RSO I (Current Employee)
    Escondido, CA

Prosthis is a great place to get a job, but not a career. there is a lot to learn, good and bad. if one is looking for a career in the hospitality field then this place can teach you what to do and what not to do.

Consin more recent months Welk has been instructing their associates to give positive feedback on Glassdoor; give 5 stars and positive outlook and feedback, even though it may not be the truth. "What's it matter, it can be anonymous."
    this is a great example as to why the managements role has been twisted and underhanded. I can't see being with Welk for long let alone the RSO department.

Advice to Senior Managementrevamp the rso department and its management. just because someone knows someone at corporate doesn't necessarily mean they should be put in a leadership role such as this.

Over-worked and Underpaid!

ProsEasy to get hired if you know somebody who works there. There's always job openings....maybe that's not a pro?

ConsResort pays below average, but expects high quality work. They offer health care, but most of us on an hourly wage can't afford the premium payments. The ethics of this company makes me cringe!

Advice to Senior ManagementThis company brags about their profit and buying new properties to build upon, but what about the employees? How about giving back to the employees.....and I'm not talking about your sales people. I'm taking about the ones working the front line. We are the foundation of this company! Give your good, hard workers the pay they deserve. We sacrifice time with our own families by giving up our weekends and holidays, so make it worth our while.

Worked for Welk Resort Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Welk Resort Group reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Welk Resort Group CEO Jonathan Fredricks. All 39 reviews posted anonymously by Welk Resort Group employees.