WellCare

www.wellcare.com

WellCare Reviews

Updated Jul 11, 2014
WellCare – Tampa – “Campus of WellCare Health Plans, Inc.”

Dave Gallitano

Pros
  • Great paying job with opportunities to work from home(in 7 reviews)

• Steady hours and good benefits package(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • The work hours are extreme and the work life balance is not even a consideration(in 12 reviews)

• No work/life balance, the culture is to get things done without concern for quality(in 6 reviews)

Terrible sales management style with an equally terrible product.

Benefit Consultant (Former Employee)

ProsIts slightly better than collecting unemployment benefits.

ConsLow pay, confusing/unethical commission structure, dangerous neighborhoods is where the core customers reside, they constantly remind you that you are going to be fired if you don't sell more, bad product,

Advice to Senior ManagementI really wouldn't advise them. They have smart people running this company who have a certain approach to running a company. Their mission is not to have the best plan, network or customer service. They see the company's path to prosperity as enrolling as many low income, low information people as possible. Efficiencies are then created by not having to provide these "vunerable" populations with top tier providers, networks, and customer service.Meanwhile checks from the government keep rolling in. This is just one opinion formed over two years from inside the organization.

No support from management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsFlexibility to work from home at times. On site cafe.

ConsNo support from management to complete duties. No proper training. Employees unsupervised. Unrealistic goals

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to work on training, and not have favortisim

Schizophrenic

Health Services (Current Employee)

ProsPays well with decent benefits and pleasant co-workers

ConsNo room for advancement or for learning new skills beyond immediate job responsibilities. In fact, attempts to do so are squelched in my particular position. This is demoralizing. In my area they prefer to hire middle and lower management from the outside (who oftentimes do not have the basic social skills to manage others), rather than promoting qualified people from within. This results in a reinventing-the-wheel dynamic. New middle management comes in with supposedly innovative ideas which aren't effective in the environment because they aren't familiar with it. Ultimately, we go back to the old way of functioning because it wasn't broke to begin with. I don't understand why upper management allows this as it is completely counterproductive and certainly isn't good for business. Policies and practices in dealing with providers are inconsistent and constantly changing. This causes a lot of customer dissatisfaction, which is understandable. We "associates" then are on the receiving end of complaints and we agree the processes are provider unfriendly and inefficient, yet we have no power to make a reasonable change. Any rational ideas my immediate co-workers and I have offered are dismissed. Work/life balance is not a valued concept. In our area we are constantly understaffed, yet we are expected to work overtime or do whatever necessary to make sure the company honors its contractual agreements. I've not been on the receiving end of overtly negative interactions with supervisors or management, but I have seen other instances of punitive treatment of some co-workers..... I'm considering a move at this point. The environment has gotten progressively more dysfunctional.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis exercise is really fruitless, as it is against their nature to listen to employees in the first place. I don't get the point of an annual employee satisfaction survey when no changes are made as a result.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Provider Relations Rep

Provider Relations (Former Employee) Bowling Green, KY

ProsGood vacation time and benefits

ConsToo concerned about the bottom line

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on the members more. Less on the bottom line.

Enjoyed my WellCare Experience

Mid-Level Management (Former Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsGreat management team, great employees, everyone has a "place at the table", energy was very up-lifting and member-centric. Personally rewarding to have a positive impact on people's lives when they are most in need of help.

ConsFraud was occurring at the top level, federal investigation and prosecution followed...all cast a bad a light on the company and made it tough for those of us who were "putting the member first." RIF's followed and the company morale has not been the same since.

Not too good!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Tampa, FL

Prossalary - compensation is competitive
    benefit package is good

ConsVery poor management -inexperienced and lacking in people skills
    Senior management provides no leadership or guidance to middle management
    Work/life balance non-existent
    Very little work flexibility
    Chaotic work environment with little training or accessible management to provide clear goals/directions
    Extremely poor communication throughout the company from one area/department to the next.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in management training; increase/improve avenues for effective communication and implement a more flexible work schedule to address work/life balance issues.

OK place to work

Pros-good health benefits.
    -community involvement.
    -semi understanding manager

Cons-no unity among teams
    -senior management not friendly
    -unrealistic expectations
    - I have had better benefits else where

Ok for paying bills while you search for a real job

Business Analyst (Former Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsHave a lot of good people. You are neither asked nor encouraged to think and if you are a manager you will never actually be held accountable for anything.

ConsIT is a disaster. No leadership, no vision, and engaged in an internecine war with themselves as well as Business.
    No data management. They have lost control of Provider and member data with serious customer service and entitlement implications resulting in both Provider and Member abrasion.
    Claims management integrity is teetering on the edge. Have not been detecting fraudulent claims activity for over 2 years. Fraudsters must be making a fortune. They deal with rejected claim batches by simply turning off all adjudication edits and paying them, fraud and all.
    IT management knows all about this but does nothing. Culture not geared towards operational efficiency or problem solving.
    IT / operations not scalable which impacts profit potential. Along with anticipated growth and the ICD-10 fiasco hard to see this company going anywhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to manage by metrics and start asking the tough questions.

Misleading

Benefits Consultant (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsNone, no concern for the safety of it's sales staff

ConsLack of integrity and the means of obtaining customers

Advice to Senior ManagementRevamp your sales tactics

Great salary, unorganized company.

Benefits Consultant (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsSalary and benefits (although not the greatest) for agents in industry they are hard to come by working with clients with a need .

ConsWeirdest company I ever worked for no support from corporate every one even in team environment out to get the next person.

Advice to Senior ManagementHelp your employees and allow them to help your clients

Worked for WellCare? Contribute to the Community!