WellCare Reviews

Updated October 14, 2014
Updated October 14, 2014
2.6

Dave Gallitano

Pros
  • Great paying job with opportunities to work from home (in 7 reviews)

• Steady hours and good benefits package (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • The work hours are extreme and the work life balance is not even a consideration (in 12 reviews)

• No work-life balance, management is mostly concerned with numbers and not how to help you reach your productivity goal (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

It all depends what department your in and who your manager is. Literally. It's the luck of the draw.

Current Employee - Provider Relations in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Provider Relations in Tampa, FL

I have been working at WellCare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of PTO, paid holidays, most managers understand child care problems.

Cons

if you are in a department with quotas, I'm sorry for you and you may work massive overtime. Raises are once a year and pretty low.

Develope your employees, make them WANT to come to work.

Info

I have been working at WellCare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Benefits, amenities, ot, cafe, campus

Cons

Ole boy system, discrimination in full effect

Appreciate those that make you look good

OMG!! What did I get myself into!!

I have been working at WellCare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pay and Benefits can be flexible

Cons

Management incompetent, no structure, buddy system, no good training

Train your staff

Your experience depends on your boss and your department!

Current Employee - Ancillary Coordinator in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Ancillary Coordinator in Tampa, FL

I have been working at WellCare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay, new CIO should be great for WellCare's future, if you get a great manager that will develop you, you'll love it here. Bad manager or in a department with daily quotas? You're gonna hate life.

Cons

Hard to switch departments, immature people, one bad manager can drive you to quit for lack of development and daily help, you could be stuck in the same position for years and years.

Managers need to have more goals to develop and promote from within.

Unfortunate truth

Current Employee - Medicare Benefit Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Medicare Benefit Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at WellCare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Corporate training is ethical and informative - we learned well to pass the NY Health Insurance license exam and at the time corporate training for the Medicare Products we sold were generally pretty thorough. That being said, we never covered anything other than plans for the dual eligible population and it was unclear to me whether the company also sold gap plans and Rx plans. I was not there long enough but it seemed like if you're a fairly good sales person there have to be opportunities to move up in the company because you'll find low level directors are not very good at their job. I was 18 and out of college at the time and they decided to give me the opportunity to work there. I will never forget how grateful I am that they gave me a chance to step into an industry I still thrive in today.

Cons

Low level directors were out of touch with the sales person's experience in the street. It was unclear to me by my training that all my sales would be on the street in front of an RV approaching seniors. In the nearly one year I was there, there was only one structured community outreach event oriented towards engaging the community in a holistic approach rather than what we did at the time which was stand in front of an RV and offer seniors "food boxes." I found that there was such a strong emphasis put on the numbers that there was no concern as to the techniques being used to induce a sale. Many sales people would just process apps to get the commissions in the door it was a real churn type operation.

Hire managers that are concerned with the ethical treatment of seniors. Realize the cultural nuances of the communities you serve, this is not say Manhattan but it is Spanish Harlem/Washington Heights, Harlem, Upper West Side etc it is important to realize that a microtargeted marketing strategy is key to winning over demographics with unique cultural sensitivities. In the neighborhoods I served - older Hispanic neighborhoods - it would've been beneficial to community awareness of the brand to host events that feature classic music, games etc rather than just street marketing in front of a food bank. I understand that people have to make money and that you know where the money is and you go there but at the time a USP is to be recognized in the community as a partner and gaining the trust of the constituency. Focus less on perks like food boxes for MAP's and instead find creative ways to contract the hospitals/doctors that people want to go to.

Good company to work for.

I worked at WellCare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work life balance is good. On site gym and cafeteria. Opportunities to transfer between other departments. Enjoyed working with most of my coworkers.

Cons

On job training was lacking. Hard to get promoted if you are not friends with boss. No budget for off site training.

Managers need to address issues brought up to them by employees.

It was good. very laid-back

Current Employee - Senior Quality Assurance Analyst in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Quality Assurance Analyst in Tampa, FL

I have been working at WellCare as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

No micro management, friendly teams to work with

Cons

Worked as a contractor and too much competition to get a full time. And always wondering if that month will be your last

About average, I've seen better and worse

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Tampa, FL

I have been working at WellCare full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Location is great, people are not bad, pay is average. The new Vitality program is a lot of fun and will make me healthier.

Cons

A little cheap on taking care of their people or investing in the future, but not as bad as many companies.

Invest in your people.

confused Medicare plan tries to fool public into thinking plan will do what it says

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at WellCare full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Training, Brain washing, salary and bonus, car allowance, cell phone, computer etc.

Cons

Management has no clue how to communicate with employees! A crack whip environment. Drive to reach numbers by threats........need I say more

Learn how to communicate with your employees, seek their advice and input on how to handle situations and move away from corporate B.S. Come together as a unit and put family's first. The numbers will come when employees fell that they are a part of something bigger!!!!!!!!!!!

Stuck in the mud in neutral and waiting for a buyer.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at WellCare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Tampa is a great location. Lots to do here. Good beaches, lots of out door activities to take advantage of.

Cons

Poorly managed company. VPs making $1 million or so without any experience or competence. No one at the top understands the government programs they are charged to operate.

Sell to a company that knows how to manage a health insurance company dealing with medicaid and medicare

WellCare Photos

Campus of WellCare Health Plans, Inc.

+ Add Photo