WellCare

Updated December 10, 2014
Updated December 10, 2014
2.5

Dave Gallitano

Pros
  • Great paying job with opportunities to work from home (in 7 reviews)

• Good Benefits, friendly people, nice main campus but they moved us out (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • The work hours are extreme and the work life balance is not even a consideration (in 12 reviews)

• No work-life balance, management is mostly concerned with numbers and not how to help you reach your productivity goal (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

It's getting better.....

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Tampa, FL

I have been working at WellCare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of change is happening so it is very interesting and exciting to see. If you can get into the right position, there is a ton of potential to shine and grow.

Cons

A lot of change is happening, so job security is not the best at the moment.

Great Company

Current Employee - QI Care Gap Coordinator in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - QI Care Gap Coordinator in Tampa, FL

I have been working at WellCare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

great pay, great location, parking is great, switch departments in 9 months

Cons

HR. accrued pto time is difficult at time

Clinical rph

Current Employee - RPH in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - RPH in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at WellCare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great workers. Like like like

Cons

Unstable. Hard to find security

Raises are good. Or more vacation pay

New leadership, new culture, new opportunities

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at WellCare full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I've been with WellCare several years and have seen MANY changes - some good and some not-so-good. In the last 12 months, we've had a complete turnover in exec leadership - for the better, in my opinion. We now have clear, measurable and manageable expectations, plus a first-time-ever leadership development program which holds all people-managers to a high degree of accountability for themselves and their teams. PTO, compensation and benefits are all satisfactory, plus the current leadership really means it when they say that it's important to have a healthy work-life balance (used to be just lip service).

But most of all - the people who receive their healthcare coverage from WellCare are the best reason of all to work here. Whether you're a claims analyst or a case manager or a customer service rep, you know you are doing something to help someone who needs you to do your job and do it well.

Cons

Tight budget = very little wiggle room; historical inconsistency of expectations depending on which department you're in; still fighting some of the "but that's the way we've always done it" mentality. Working our way into the 21st century from the tech perspective, and employee training still has a long way to go but it's improving.

Keep up the good work on culture change, transparency and top-down accountability.

Disorganized Health Plan

Former Employee - Senior Technical Project Manager-IT PMO in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Technical Project Manager-IT PMO in Tampa, FL

I worked at WellCare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good salaries, Good location, Covered Parking. Many of the people you work with will share your frustrations. Fairly good with time off. You can take it no matter what you have to get done.

Cons

Executives are not thought leaders, they are command and control supervisors in over their heads. Promotions and advancement based on schmoozing not skill. Draconian IT security policies, they don't know you can't impose good behavior by fiat. Complete lack of technical design capabilities leads to buggy software they use object oriented programming languages to write code procedurally. SPAGHETTI CODE EVERYWHERE!

Hire thought leaders and followers of best practices. Seat of the pants management is costly

The money was great upper management was out of touch with employee day-to-day tasks.

I worked at WellCare

Pros

The income potential was great.

Cons

The company did not deliver on benefits to clients which made the sales process difficult.

It all depends what department your in and who your manager is. Literally. It's the luck of the draw.

Current Employee - Provider Relations in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Provider Relations in Tampa, FL

I have been working at WellCare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of PTO, paid holidays, most managers understand child care problems.

Cons

if you are in a department with quotas, I'm sorry for you and you may work massive overtime. Raises are once a year and pretty low.

Develope your employees, make them WANT to come to work.

New Culture, New Management same bosses

I have been working at WellCare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The new culture and management at the tippy top does not reflect the real culture in the middle and bottom. If you are in department that has a vice president or director that survived the last year-and-a-half the "new" is more like the old. Nice to know though that the new management at the very top thinks you should hire the best people, let them do their jobs and then measure them on success and failures.

Cons

There is a management disconnect between the top, middle and bottom. Inability to measure success at all levels and failure to promote change outside of a good speech. Allowing vice presidents and directors from the old to administer their areas the way they see best is leading to highly questionable employment practices. Everything is still judged and the negative except for vice presidents, directors and senior management.

Hire a management consultant and start going through a top to bottom review of the company, its processes and its leadership at all levels. You'd be surprised at how unhappy the employees are and how incompetent senior management really is as managers. 30 and 40 year olds have no business being vice presidents or earning close to a million dollars a year. Experience is thin, knowledge is low and management styles are erratic.

Toxic

Former Employee - Service Coordinator in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Service Coordinator in Honolulu, HI

I worked at WellCare full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

No pros for this company.

Cons

Unappreciative, low-paying, dishonest slave-drivers. Administration favors their pets, others are treated as replaceable. I waited too long, but we know how that goes: You think someone or something is going to change - and of course, they don't. Ohana Health Plan/Wellcare is not going to change. The culture of the company has been & will always be degrading.

You've contributed very well to America's downfall of the middle class. My advice: Treat & pay your employees like the hard-workers they are. Respect ALL employees. Playing favorites lost the company many great employees along the way. All companies' crap comes from the top & trickles down. I doubt Wellcare's bad culture will ever change - especially here in Hawaii. One star is too many.

Info

I have been working at WellCare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Benefits, amenities, ot, cafe, campus

Cons

Ole boy system, discrimination in full effect

Appreciate those that make you look good

WellCare Photos

Campus of WellCare Health Plans, Inc.

+ Add Photo