WellCare Reviews

Updated September 12, 2014
Updated September 12, 2014
2.6

Dave Gallitano

Pros
  • Great paying job with opportunities to work from home (in 7 reviews)

• Steady hours and good benefits package (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • The work hours are extreme and the work life balance is not even a consideration (in 12 reviews)

• No work/life balance, the culture is to get things done without concern for quality (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

It was good. very laid-back

Current Employee - Senior Quality Assurance Analyst  in  Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Quality Assurance Analyst in Tampa, FL

I have been working at WellCare as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

No micro management, friendly teams to work with

Cons

Worked as a contractor and too much competition to get a full time. And always wondering if that month will be your last

About average, I've seen better and worse

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Tampa, FL

I have been working at WellCare full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Location is great, people are not bad, pay is average. The new Vitality program is a lot of fun and will make me healthier.

Cons

A little cheap on taking care of their people or investing in the future, but not as bad as many companies.

Invest in your people.

Unfortunate truth

Current Employee - Medicare Benefit Consultant  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Medicare Benefit Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at WellCare full-time for less than a year

Pros

Corporate training is ethical and informative - we learned well to pass the NY Health Insurance license exam and at the time corporate training for the Medicare Products we sold were generally pretty thorough. That being said, we never covered anything other than plans for the dual eligible population and it was unclear to me whether the company also sold gap plans and Rx plans. I was not there long enough but it seemed like if you're a fairly good sales person there have to be opportunities to move up in the company because you'll find low level directors are not very good at their job. I was 18 and out of college at the time and they decided to give me the opportunity to work there. I will never forget how grateful I am that they gave me a chance to step into an industry I still thrive in today.

Cons

Low level directors were out of touch with the sales person's experience in the street. It was unclear to me by my training that all my sales would be on the street in front of an RV approaching seniors. In the nearly one year I was there, there was only one structured community outreach event oriented towards engaging the community in a holistic approach rather than what we did at the time which was stand in front of an RV and offer seniors "food boxes." I found that there was such a strong emphasis put on the numbers that there was no concern as to the techniques being used to induce a sale. Many sales people would just process apps to get the commissions in the door it was a real churn type operation.

Hire managers that are concerned with the ethical treatment of seniors. Realize the cultural nuances of the communities you serve, this is not say Manhattan but it is Spanish Harlem/Washington Heights, Harlem, Upper West Side etc it is important to realize that a microtargeted marketing strategy is key to winning over demographics with unique cultural sensitivities. In the neighborhoods I served - older Hispanic neighborhoods - it would've been beneficial to community awareness of the brand to host events that feature classic music, games etc rather than just street marketing in front of a food bank. I understand that people have to make money and that you know where the money is and you go there but at the time a USP is to be recognized in the community as a partner and gaining the trust of the constituency. Focus less on perks like food boxes for MAP's and instead find creative ways to contract the hospitals/doctors that people want to go to.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Billing

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at WellCare full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good company to work for

Cons

lack of training to move up.

WellCare will either love you or kill you

Current Employee - Network Representative  in  Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Network Representative in Tampa, FL

I have been working at WellCare full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They are very concerned with work/home life balance. Easy to get a day off if you want or need one. Being such a huge company, you can literally go in any career path you want and work your way up to CEO, or you can stay in your position the rest of your life. Once you get your foot in the door, it's near impossible to get fired. You honestly would have to cuss out the director of you department, moon a CEO, or just not show up for 2 weeks. Competitive pay, good insurance, fantastic cafeteria on site where you can very literally get any kind of food you can dream of.

Cons

If you get a bad manager your life will be hell. They will throw you in a position if they have to and you better adapt, quick! Hard to move from department to department. Famous for November mass layoffs.

General review of the company

I have been working at WellCare full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Carrer growth, Opportunity to learn

Cons

None that are different from other companies

too much variance in management chain

Former Employee - IT Programming  in  Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - IT Programming in Tampa, FL

I worked at WellCare full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

As the title indicates, it depends on who is in your management chain

Cons

Again, depends on management chain. I believe that some people in my management chain were getting kickbacks from the contracting company they were dealing with.

Get some inter-departmental consistency

Stuck in middle management slaving away

Current Employee - Director  in  Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Director in Tampa, FL

I have been working at WellCare full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good pay for IT and Finance. Lots of opportunity for advancement due to high turnover at management levels. Flexible schedule, decent benefits.

Cons

New senior management cares little about people. Work you to death and then lay you off. If your not Caucasian you don't stand a chance in IT, sadly this is supported by HR. You're not judged on performance or results, rather your charm, politicking and skin color. Very hostile cut throat work environment.

Sell the company already, what are you waiting for?

Load Runner Engineer

Current Employee - Load Runner Engineer  in  Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Load Runner Engineer in Tampa, FL

I have been working at WellCare full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

What they’re really saying here is: “You should be grateful that you’re employed during this bad job market and therefore shouldn’t complain about any conditions of your employment.” Bosses who think and say this don’t know how to deal with problems or feedback constructively.

Cons

Managers do need to address problems told to them in confidence, but a skilled boss won’t focus on the anonymous report. Rather, he or she will concentrate on the problematic behavior

My manager did not care my hours working. I was working 50- 60 hours a week. Some people working less but they are know how to talk to manager.
    Senior manager does not control low manger.

Work you to death, little pay

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at WellCare full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent pay and it's a job. However, that's all I can say. You have a pretty good opportunity for paid time off. Trust me, you'll want to use it as you will eventually hate the company.

Cons

This is an incredibly negative work environment. Many workers will talk the company up TO GET THE REFERRAL BONUS. They are constantly cutting costs and staff to make life miserable for employees. The company grows but they don't hire. They have nearly no employee incentives for good work. I have never heard anyone, besides management, say they enjoyed working for the company.

Support your employees. The company is always built from the bottom up, and without that support there is no company. I've worked here for years and I don't feel appreciated at all. The HR department needs work. Employees feel as if nothing they do is good or appreciated.

WellCare Photos

Campus of WellCare Health Plans, Inc.

+ Add Photo

Worked for WellCare? Contribute to the Community!