WellCare

Updated November 9, 2014
Updated November 9, 2014
2.5

Dave Gallitano

Pros
  • Great paying job with opportunities to work from home (in 7 reviews)

• Good Benefits, friendly people, nice main campus but they moved us out (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • The work hours are extreme and the work life balance is not even a consideration (in 12 reviews)

• No work-life balance, management is mostly concerned with numbers and not how to help you reach your productivity goal (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

New leadership, new culture, new opportunities

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at WellCare full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I've been with WellCare several years and have seen MANY changes - some good and some not-so-good. In the last 12 months, we've had a complete turnover in exec leadership - for the better, in my opinion. We now have clear, measurable and manageable expectations, plus a first-time-ever leadership development program which holds all people-managers to a high degree of accountability for themselves and their teams. PTO, compensation and benefits are all satisfactory, plus the current leadership really means it when they say that it's important to have a healthy work-life balance (used to be just lip service).

But most of all - the people who receive their healthcare coverage from WellCare are the best reason of all to work here. Whether you're a claims analyst or a case manager or a customer service rep, you know you are doing something to help someone who needs you to do your job and do it well.

Cons

Tight budget = very little wiggle room; historical inconsistency of expectations depending on which department you're in; still fighting some of the "but that's the way we've always done it" mentality. Working our way into the 21st century from the tech perspective, and employee training still has a long way to go but it's improving.

Keep up the good work on culture change, transparency and top-down accountability.

It all depends what department your in and who your manager is. Literally. It's the luck of the draw.

Current Employee - Provider Relations in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Provider Relations in Tampa, FL

I have been working at WellCare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of PTO, paid holidays, most managers understand child care problems.

Cons

if you are in a department with quotas, I'm sorry for you and you may work massive overtime. Raises are once a year and pretty low.

Develope your employees, make them WANT to come to work.

New Culture, New Management same bosses

I have been working at WellCare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The new culture and management at the tippy top does not reflect the real culture in the middle and bottom. If you are in department that has a vice president or director that survived the last year-and-a-half the "new" is more like the old. Nice to know though that the new management at the very top thinks you should hire the best people, let them do their jobs and then measure them on success and failures.

Cons

There is a management disconnect between the top, middle and bottom. Inability to measure success at all levels and failure to promote change outside of a good speech. Allowing vice presidents and directors from the old to administer their areas the way they see best is leading to highly questionable employment practices. Everything is still judged and the negative except for vice presidents, directors and senior management.

Hire a management consultant and start going through a top to bottom review of the company, its processes and its leadership at all levels. You'd be surprised at how unhappy the employees are and how incompetent senior management really is as managers. 30 and 40 year olds have no business being vice presidents or earning close to a million dollars a year. Experience is thin, knowledge is low and management styles are erratic.

Toxic

Former Employee - Service Coordinator in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Service Coordinator in Honolulu, HI

I worked at WellCare full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

No pros for this company.

Cons

Unappreciative, low-paying, dishonest slave-drivers. Administration favors their pets, others are treated as replaceable. I waited too long, but we know how that goes: You think someone or something is going to change - and of course, they don't. Ohana Health Plan/Wellcare is not going to change. The culture of the company has been & will always be degrading.

You've contributed very well to America's downfall of the middle class. My advice: Treat & pay your employees like the hard-workers they are. Respect ALL employees. Playing favorites lost the company many great employees along the way. All companies' crap comes from the top & trickles down. I doubt Wellcare's bad culture will ever change - especially here in Hawaii. One star is too many.

Disorganized Health Plan

Former Employee - Senior Technical Project Manager-IT PMO in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Technical Project Manager-IT PMO in Tampa, FL

I worked at WellCare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good salaries, Good location, Covered Parking. Many of the people you work with will share your frustrations. Fairly good with time off. You can take it no matter what you have to get done.

Cons

Executives are not thought leaders, they are command and control supervisors in over their heads. Promotions and advancement based on schmoozing not skill. Draconian IT security policies, they don't know you can't impose good behavior by fiat. Complete lack of technical design capabilities leads to buggy software they use object oriented programming languages to write code procedurally. SPAGHETTI CODE EVERYWHERE!

Hire thought leaders and followers of best practices. Seat of the pants management is costly

The money was great upper management was out of touch with employee day-to-day tasks.

I worked at WellCare

Pros

The income potential was great.

Cons

The company did not deliver on benefits to clients which made the sales process difficult.

If you consider yourself a professional sales person stay away. I wish I could rank it 0 stars.

Current Employee - Medicare Benefit Consultant
    Current Employee - Medicare Benefit Consultant

I have been working at WellCare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There is no pros I can think of. The cons are so bad that any pro I list would not be worth the horrific cons.

Cons

Disorganization. Lack of field training. No integrity If you have ever seen the children's show ,Rudolph the red nose reindeer , you will remember the island of misfit toys. For those of you who haven't, this is where all the unwanted and broken toys that kids DONT want go to "live". Well that is what WellCare is for. Those people who can't get a job or succeed at good quality companies. For those of you who think I am a disgrunteled employee ,I am not. I have lasted longer than any of the other employees in my training class. I hung in there longer then any one else in hopes that it could change. I began to try to be an agent of change. Making formal suggestions to fix broken processes. All I received was back lash and false accusations. I can write at least three pages of storys that would make your skin crawl. I will spare you the long read. I can some it up by a conversation I had with a doctor who really cares about his patients.He said he would never recommend WellCare" because you are dangerous to the lives of my patients".

You must take alot of medication to sleep at night. Unless your concious is so seared that you don't care. Pay the price and stand up for what is right instead of worrying about losing your job.

OMG!! What did I get myself into!!

I have been working at WellCare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pay and Benefits can be flexible

Cons

Management incompetent, no structure, buddy system, no good training

Train your staff

Unfortunate truth

Current Employee - Medicare Benefit Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Medicare Benefit Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at WellCare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Corporate training is ethical and informative - we learned well to pass the NY Health Insurance license exam and at the time corporate training for the Medicare Products we sold were generally pretty thorough. That being said, we never covered anything other than plans for the dual eligible population and it was unclear to me whether the company also sold gap plans and Rx plans. I was not there long enough but it seemed like if you're a fairly good sales person there have to be opportunities to move up in the company because you'll find low level directors are not very good at their job. I was 18 and out of college at the time and they decided to give me the opportunity to work there. I will never forget how grateful I am that they gave me a chance to step into an industry I still thrive in today.

Cons

Low level directors were out of touch with the sales person's experience in the street. It was unclear to me by my training that all my sales would be on the street in front of an RV approaching seniors. In the nearly one year I was there, there was only one structured community outreach event oriented towards engaging the community in a holistic approach rather than what we did at the time which was stand in front of an RV and offer seniors "food boxes." I found that there was such a strong emphasis put on the numbers that there was no concern as to the techniques being used to induce a sale. Many sales people would just process apps to get the commissions in the door it was a real churn type operation.

Hire managers that are concerned with the ethical treatment of seniors. Realize the cultural nuances of the communities you serve, this is not say Manhattan but it is Spanish Harlem/Washington Heights, Harlem, Upper West Side etc it is important to realize that a microtargeted marketing strategy is key to winning over demographics with unique cultural sensitivities. In the neighborhoods I served - older Hispanic neighborhoods - it would've been beneficial to community awareness of the brand to host events that feature classic music, games etc rather than just street marketing in front of a food bank. I understand that people have to make money and that you know where the money is and you go there but at the time a USP is to be recognized in the community as a partner and gaining the trust of the constituency. Focus less on perks like food boxes for MAP's and instead find creative ways to contract the hospitals/doctors that people want to go to.

Your experience depends on your boss and your department!

Current Employee - Ancillary Coordinator in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Ancillary Coordinator in Tampa, FL

I have been working at WellCare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay, new CIO should be great for WellCare's future, if you get a great manager that will develop you, you'll love it here. Bad manager or in a department with daily quotas? You're gonna hate life.

Cons

Hard to switch departments, immature people, one bad manager can drive you to quit for lack of development and daily help, you could be stuck in the same position for years and years.

Managers need to have more goals to develop and promote from within.

WellCare Photos

Campus of WellCare Health Plans, Inc.

+ Add Photo