WellCare

Employer Engaged

Clinical rph

Current Employee - RPH in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - RPH in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at WellCare full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great workers. Like like like

Cons

Unstable. Hard to find security

Raises are good. Or more vacation pay

New leadership, new culture, new opportunities

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at WellCare full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I've been with WellCare several years and have seen MANY changes - some good and some not-so-good. In the last 12 months, we've had a complete turnover in exec leadership - for the better, in my opinion. We now have clear, measurable and manageable expectations, plus a first-time-ever leadership development program which holds all people-managers to a high degree of accountability for themselves and their teams. PTO, compensation and benefits are all satisfactory, plus the current leadership really means it when they say that it's important to have a healthy work-life balance (used to be just lip service).

But most of all - the people who receive their healthcare coverage from WellCare are the best reason of all to work here. Whether you're a claims analyst or a case manager or a customer service rep, you know you are doing something to help someone who needs you to do your job and do it well.

Cons

Tight budget = very little wiggle room; historical inconsistency of expectations depending on which department you're in; still fighting some of the "but that's the way we've always done it" mentality. Working our way into the 21st century from the tech perspective, and employee training still has a long way to go but it's improving.

Keep up the good work on culture change, transparency and top-down accountability.

Run, Run, Run--Far Away!

I worked at WellCare full-time (more than a year)

Pros

nice campus, salary OK (but not worth it)

Cons

Just about everything. This is the shadiest company I have ever worked for, and I've been around. They spend countless manhours doing lip service to compliance, when the leadership of the company are some of the worst offenders in the industry. They consistently say, "We're changing, it's different now, new leadership." And it never makes one bit of difference. Rotten to the core. And though they go on about how important their members are to them, that is another big lie--it's the almighty dollar. And not for you, me or your colleagues, but for their shareholders and top executives. If you want to hate yourself every day, by all means go ahead and work here. If you want to wake up and look at yourself in the mirror and be OK with your job, run, run, run far away.

No advice, they don't listen, they do exactly what's best for them and have no interest in the people who actually do the work in the company.

Work experience was not pleasant at all because of incompetent management

Former Employee - Benefits Consultant in Metairie, LA
    Former Employee - Benefits Consultant in Metairie, LA

I worked at WellCare

Pros

good compensation plan, good product, Easy sell to public, good training, update technology

Cons

too much politics and back stabbing gossiping among management and cliquish office-office politics. Perfect example of the political atmosphere of this office, the office was a part of a national sales reduction because the company lost its contract with CMS. However, when the company returned to good standing the local office did not recall former employees to employment especially those who were furloughed (had separation agreements that stated employees with this agreement would be given precedence or priority in rehiring) the local manager hired new personnel without giving a call to those who were furloughed This kind of insensitivity was pervasive in this company

Management should consider to be more professional and less juvenile. Management should consider placing priorities on the work and performance rather than the manager;'s insecurities and office politics

Disorganized Health Plan

Former Employee - Senior Technical Project Manager-IT PMO in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Technical Project Manager-IT PMO in Tampa, FL

I worked at WellCare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good salaries, Good location, Covered Parking. Many of the people you work with will share your frustrations. Fairly good with time off. You can take it no matter what you have to get done.

Cons

Executives are not thought leaders, they are command and control supervisors in over their heads. Promotions and advancement based on schmoozing not skill. Draconian IT security policies, they don't know you can't impose good behavior by fiat. Complete lack of technical design capabilities leads to buggy software they use object oriented programming languages to write code procedurally. SPAGHETTI CODE EVERYWHERE!

Hire thought leaders and followers of best practices. Seat of the pants management is costly

Toxic

Former Employee - Service Coordinator in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Service Coordinator in Honolulu, HI

I worked at WellCare full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

No pros for this company.

Cons

Unappreciative, low-paying, dishonest slave-drivers. Administration favors their pets, others are treated as replaceable. I waited too long, but we know how that goes: You think someone or something is going to change - and of course, they don't. Ohana Health Plan/Wellcare is not going to change. The culture of the company has been & will always be degrading.

You've contributed very well to America's downfall of the middle class. My advice: Treat & pay your employees like the hard-workers they are. Respect ALL employees. Playing favorites lost the company many great employees along the way. All companies' crap comes from the top & trickles down. I doubt Wellcare's bad culture will ever change - especially here in Hawaii. One star is too many.

The money was great upper management was out of touch with employee day-to-day tasks.

I worked at WellCare

Pros

The income potential was great.

Cons

The company did not deliver on benefits to clients which made the sales process difficult.

It all depends what department your in and who your manager is. Literally. It's the luck of the draw.

Current Employee - Provider Relations in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Provider Relations in Tampa, FL

I have been working at WellCare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of PTO, paid holidays, most managers understand child care problems.

Cons

if you are in a department with quotas, I'm sorry for you and you may work massive overtime. Raises are once a year and pretty low.

Develope your employees, make them WANT to come to work.

Unfortunate truth

Current Employee - Medicare Benefit Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Medicare Benefit Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at WellCare full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Corporate training is ethical and informative - we learned well to pass the NY Health Insurance license exam and at the time corporate training for the Medicare Products we sold were generally pretty thorough. That being said, we never covered anything other than plans for the dual eligible population and it was unclear to me whether the company also sold gap plans and Rx plans. I was not there long enough but it seemed like if you're a fairly good sales person there have to be opportunities to move up in the company because you'll find low level directors are not very good at their job. I was 18 and out of college at the time and they decided to give me the opportunity to work there. I will never forget how grateful I am that they gave me a chance to step into an industry I still thrive in today.

Cons

Low level directors were out of touch with the sales person's experience in the street. It was unclear to me by my training that all my sales would be on the street in front of an RV approaching seniors. In the nearly one year I was there, there was only one structured community outreach event oriented towards engaging the community in a holistic approach rather than what we did at the time which was stand in front of an RV and offer seniors "food boxes." I found that there was such a strong emphasis put on the numbers that there was no concern as to the techniques being used to induce a sale. Many sales people would just process apps to get the commissions in the door it was a real churn type operation.

Hire managers that are concerned with the ethical treatment of seniors. Realize the cultural nuances of the communities you serve, this is not say Manhattan but it is Spanish Harlem/Washington Heights, Harlem, Upper West Side etc it is important to realize that a microtargeted marketing strategy is key to winning over demographics with unique cultural sensitivities. In the neighborhoods I served - older Hispanic neighborhoods - it would've been beneficial to community awareness of the brand to host events that feature classic music, games etc rather than just street marketing in front of a food bank. I understand that people have to make money and that you know where the money is and you go there but at the time a USP is to be recognized in the community as a partner and gaining the trust of the constituency. Focus less on perks like food boxes for MAP's and instead find creative ways to contract the hospitals/doctors that people want to go to.

Your experience depends on your boss and your department!

Current Employee - Ancillary Coordinator in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Ancillary Coordinator in Tampa, FL

I have been working at WellCare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay, new CIO should be great for WellCare's future, if you get a great manager that will develop you, you'll love it here. Bad manager or in a department with daily quotas? You're gonna hate life.

Cons

Hard to switch departments, immature people, one bad manager can drive you to quit for lack of development and daily help, you could be stuck in the same position for years and years.

Managers need to have more goals to develop and promote from within.

WellCare Photos

Campus of WellCare Health Plans, Inc.

+ Add Photo