WellCare

Updated December 17, 2014
Updated December 17, 2014
2.5

Dave Gallitano

Pros
  • Great paying job with opportunities to work from home (in 7 reviews)

• Good Benefits, friendly people, nice main campus but they moved us out (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • The work hours are extreme and the work life balance is not even a consideration (in 12 reviews)

• No work-life balance, management is mostly concerned with numbers and not how to help you reach your productivity goal (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

HORRIBLE!!!!!

Current Employee - Anonymous in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Louisville, KY

I have been working at WellCare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great co workers, location, benefits are pretty good but a little pricey

Cons

Poor management, expectations are UNreal and they are reactive instead of proactive. NO room for growth or promotion. Very unorganized and the ones REALLY doing the work get over looked TOTALLY!

Please listen to your employees sometimes, we are the ones doing the work. Micromanaging is not healthy and don't set expectations on others that you could not do yourself.

Poorly Managed

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at WellCare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Opportunity to learn how not to run a public sector managed care company

Cons

Individual departments work as separate silos and are only concerned about their individual performance. This results in redundancy and the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing. No work/life balance, the culture is to get things done without concern for quality.

Hire a CEO and senior management with a diverse public sector health care background

The MarCom Department rocked!

Former Employee - Copywriter/Editor in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Copywriter/Editor in Tampa, FL

I worked at WellCare as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I worked there as a temp during their busy seasonal rush to publish customer information for the annual open enrollment period. My job title was copywriter/editor. It was the best job ever. And I've had a lot of jobs. The department leadership were professional, supportive, and creative. They welcomed my hard work and innovative thinking. First time ever that a corporation took me seriously and recognized my value. In all, I loved working there.

Cons

It was a temp position, and I was hired through a temp agency, so there was disparity on pay. Temps who were hired through another agency made several dollars an hour more than I did, even though I had more experience and a stronger work ethic. I will say though, that they had permanent positions opening up all the time, and I was encouraged to apply. I did apply for the permanent version of my job, but the competition was strong. They hired someone who had a longer relationship with the company.

Keep doing what you are doing. One thing I would change if I were you is to locate your temps closer to the people they are supposed to be supporting. Being isolated made it harder to keep on the same page with project managers.

Run from this company

Current Employee - Case Manager in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Case Manager in Tampa, FL

I have been working at WellCare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Paychecks are regular and PTO is ample. Not much to say about pros. Can work from home in most positions. Good medical benefits, but you pay fopr them at a high premium.

Cons

Everything...worst supervisors ever, all cliques and games, nothing is ever positive, just look for negatives. Rules regarding exempt employees should be the same for asll exempt employees, not at the discretion of the supervisors whether or not time taken for a Dr appointment should be made up or not. Not addressed in the Handbook, left to each department to decide who what how why and when.

Learn to do the job you are supervising and try to encourage your employees, recognize excellent work and reward it. Don't choose who to promote based on personal likes or avoid because of jealousy. Try to smile now and then. Worst is targetting certain employees because they do their job very well and pose a threat. Supervisors should not have less education then their staff.

going great

Current Employee - Systems and Reporting Analyst in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Systems and Reporting Analyst in Tampa, FL

I have been working at WellCare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great chance for growth within company

Cons

training and some smelly people

Good and Bad

I have been working at WellCare

Pros

Growing company with potential opportunity for growth, depending on your location can work with some really great people.

Cons

Disconnect between corporate leadership and local health plan management. Compensation is not equitable. Company reported banner year and then shortchanged employees on raises. Unacceptable.

take care of your employees. Don't claim a banner year and then offer 1% raises. That is unacceptable. Make your employees your first priority, as they are the one's who deliver the product. If you short change your employees, you will have high turnover, unhappy employees and that will impact your product.

Network Management

I have been working at WellCare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Competitive Salary. That is it.

Cons

No real direction with management.
    Top heavy.
     Lay offs happen every year.
    Fraud in reporting

Leadership in local market is not effective. Looks for outsiders with new ideas for Sr. Director and COO positions. Listen to the all associate surveys, they are the truth.

All levels of Staff are rediculously overpaid for the work that is done.

Former Employee - Manager in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Manager in Louisville, KY

I worked at WellCare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great paying job with opportunities to work from home.

Cons

Difficult to move up, poor management training, Senior leaders live in a glass house and provide great lip service. This company continually will reduce workforce to meet end of year budgets also allowing them to eliminate positions of people that don't fit into a yes sir mold.

"When the Fed's come marching in....."

Former Employee - Project Manager - IT
    Former Employee - Project Manager - IT

I worked at WellCare as a contractor

Pros

It's a paycheck, that is about it.

Cons

Unorganized Executive Management. Stress full working environment.

Managers getting kick back from vendors.

Disfunctional....unorganized....will always be a mom and pops shop on dale mabry....

Former Employee - Senior Manager
    Former Employee - Senior Manager

I worked at WellCare full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

They will let you come and go as you please....if no one is watching you like the other back stabbing depts. sad that u sneak around to leave early

Cons

Let's see no life no sleep no weekends never use PTO and they want more more more til you drop dead. Oh wait some have drop dead and they laugh...

Close the doors and start fresh.... And truly represent a Fortune 500 company and set standards everyone sleeping with everyone to get to the top...

WellCare Photos

Campus of WellCare Health Plans, Inc.

+ Add Photo