WellCare Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.5
Ken Burdick

Pros
  • Can work from home in most positions (in 7 reviews)

• Steady hours and good benefits package (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is not a valued concept (in 12 reviews)

• No work/life balance, the culture is to get things done without concern for quality (in 6 reviews)

1. Sr Business Technical Analyst

Current Employee - Technology Analyst in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Technology Analyst in Tampa, FL

I have been working at WellCare

Pros

Gym on campus, Flexible work hours, Competitive salary + bonus, nice campus, latest technology

Cons

limited growth opportunities, bureaucratic in some departments, growing company operating as a small shop

System and Reporting Analyst

I have been working at WellCare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company is going through measured growth. This means there are many chances to advance within the company. The campus is a very nice place to work.

Cons

Some areas in the company are poorly managed and work people to death due to large workloads. This results in high turnover and loss of knowledge.

Advice to Management

Offer more development to employees. Provide the budget to areas that are overworked like Enrollment. Spend a little more to retain good people. The costs of constantly retraining and of lost knowledge are too great.

3. Could be better

I have been working at WellCare

Pros

Salaries (unless you're hourly), on-site cafeteria, parking garage so you don't get wet when it rains, and really I have nothing else to add here.

Cons

Poor leadership, extremely unsupportive management and coworkers, the health insurance completely sucks, they keep adding work to my docket yet they don't allow me to work overtime, my boss is a complete jerk, I had zero training when I started so I've had to learn everything on my own, no one ever helped despite asking questions, and everyone seems to get away with ordering me around. I've had several issues with a few business partners who have made my life a living hell and despite expressing my concerns to management they've done absolutely nothing about it. I've never experienced such a strong lack of support and teamwork as this place. Plus I've tried moving to another team but I don't even get called for an interview so it makes me wonder if my boss is blocking me since they have a messed up policy where your boss is notified once you apply to somewhere else. Also someone keyed my car in the garage. I've been called the B word by a stranger to my face too. It's incredible how rude people there are. In all, this is a horrible place to work. I'm sure you'll have a better experience than me cause maybe it's just the team I'm on that sucks. Good luck with WellCare.

Advice to Management

Get your crap together and stop constantly reorganizing cause guess what you're not making things better, and perhaps actually listen and take your employees' concerns seriously. Make sure you hire managers who will actually support their team members. Beef up your training programs too for those like myself who've been forced to learn all on their own.

5. Happy overall, with caveats.

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Tampa, FL

I have been working at WellCare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Compensation is competitive. The short-term incentive program is fair for those that work hard to earn it. The company is stable and provides a sense of security. Typically fast moving with technology--it's nice to keep up with the latest and greatest. I am not over worked, and I am not over stressed.

Cons

Benefits have become more and more scarce over the years. Healthcare and other package items have been picked clean for every place they can cut back. I.T. reorganization after reorganization has make it very difficult to get a clear understanding of direction, and frequently work has to be redone just to bring the newest "regime" up to speed. A recent lack of consideration for employees career paths and overall goals has been felt.

Advice to Management

Pick a management structure and put the right managers in place. Pick a vision, and run with it. See it through to the end. Changing up half way through is far more disruptive than anything else.

Meh, too

Former Employee - Contract Specialist in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Contract Specialist in Tampa, FL

I worked at WellCare (More than 3 years)

Pros

Had two great female managers in a row - very unusual. They were fair and good about bonuses when they saw you were working above and beyond. Then I got a promotion to another department and was told that what I was making would affect the new salary; I did and I was out about $5,000

Cons

I had a GREAT manager. Then one day was overlooked for was overlooked for a promotion Then one day Manager A (more serious, someone who had a MHA,and was very fair and nice) had been passed over for a promotion by Manager B (someone who barely had a GED).. When she passed over for the promotion, she quit and rightly so. Then they brought in a new manager who was a nightmare and made me the target of everything he hated about the company. His first week on the job, had a one-on-one discussion with everyone and I wasn't allowed to speak back to him. Complete and utter JERK.

Advice to Management

Hire or promote from within. Give the people better educational opportunities.

Meh

Current Employee - Systems and Reporting Analyst in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Systems and Reporting Analyst in Tampa, FL

I have been working at WellCare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay and benefits; good work life balance

Cons

Hard to move to higher position; surprising number of incompetent coworkers

Advice to Management

Do more to retain talented workers who actually care about doing a good job and advancing their career

Watch Your Alignments

I have been working at WellCare

Pros

If you know how to play the game and not trust most as far as you can throw them, it's great. Those colleagues I do trust, I'll do whatever I can to assist them...and vice versa.

Cons

Having several years with the company, it's still just as disheveled but my immediate colleagues are fantastic. Huge issues with the QI and UM departments - disorganized and needs a serious overhaul. Too many of the same people keeping dragging morale and accreditation scores down.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the poor excuse of leadership in certain areas of corporate - read these so called surveys that HR sends.

HR MANAGER

Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Tampa, FL

I have been working at WellCare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Demonic, corrupt, racist, high turn over company. Do not work here! Run for your lives and believe the negative reviews! There are no processes, managers scam the customers and things change daily with no input or collaboration. HR has been through 39 different leaders and IT keeps turning over daily. Run!!!!!

Cons

There is not 1 thing good to say about this company. You will commit suicide if you work anywhere in this company. The leaders in HR are the stupidest people I've ever worked with. Turnover takes place daily. Staff just quits due to the intimidating and harassing culture. Blacks are not welcomed anywhere in this company. Working here will be career suicide to your resume as the reputation is abhorrent. There is so much backstabbing and the HR leaders don't take accountability. They blame everyone else for their ignorance and inability to develop and retain associates. The reviews are true! Save yourself. See how low the score is? The score tells you a lot about the company and its practices. WellCare had a major scam several years back and they have never been able to recover. They are going under fast!

Advice to Management

Close this corrupt, customer scamming, hostile and abusive employee treating company. This is the most unethical company on earth. Every talent acquisition, IT and HR leader needs to start their career over and be fired. Clearly if you are working at WellCare, you are trash. Quit turning over employees and having layoffs. I wish I could give a zero score!!!!

10. Pharmacy technician data-entry seasonal

Former Contractor - Pharmacy Technician in Tampa, FL
    Former Contractor - Pharmacy Technician in Tampa, FL

I worked at WellCare as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Wellcare's location is easy to get to and easy to leave with the veterans expressway, I-4 and 275 ramps. They company is well secured with very strict access.

Cons

Be prepared to be treated with disrespect. Management has bad attitudes towards one another and it is quite apparent.

Advice to Management

Smile and say Thank you once in awhile it won't harm you.

Poor leadership at the top level

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Analyst in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Analyst in Tampa, FL

I have been working at WellCare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Large company and good at cost management(see con section)

Good if you are coming in at a VP level - you get short term bonus, long term bonus and incentive bonus, stock options, preferred benefit plan which are not available if you are a regular employee.

Cons

HR will hire you only:
    1. If you tell them you are out of a job.
    2. If you tell them you are looking for a career change.
    3. If you have been let go from previous job.
    4. If your salary expectation is already below what they are willing to offer.

The reason being - if you fit the above then they will bring you on-board by paying you less than the market rate.

Management has a "lets micro-manage" employees otherwise we are not doing out job motto especially female managers.

Being a healthcare company, you would think your medical premiums would be competitive but alas, check premiums before accepting a job especially if you have dependents.

HR has a "if you get fired or part of layoffs then you don't get your earned PTO"

Several on-going layoffs that's not made public and they call it cost reduction activities or MEI(Medical Expense Initiatives)

Advice to Management

This is advice to the board of directors - wake up and do your job! Put a lid on pay/bonus on VPs and above so employees below have breathing room and they can get decent pay raises.

RSS Feed </> Embed