WellPoint Reviews in Indianapolis, IN

Updated August 4, 2014
Updated August 4, 2014

3.3

Joseph R. Swedish

Pros
  • I work from home which is very nice as I don't have to fight traffic every day (in 97 reviews)

• Good level of work/life balance, it's definitely a 9-5 environment (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • They demand a lot and do not take work/life balance into consideration very often (in 22 reviews)

• This forced an extremely strong and ethical senior management out of the company (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

43 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Worked there a long time

Former Employee - Finance Ops  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Finance Ops in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at WellPoint full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

good benefits, nice facilities, flexible work schedules

Cons

too much re-org, does not promote from within

keep employees in jobs they are good at

Not Bad

Former Employee - Senior Underwriter  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Senior Underwriter in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at WellPoint full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexible work schedule and hours

Cons

fear of getting cut at anytime

It was a paycheck

Current Employee - Claims Processor  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Claims Processor in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at WellPoint full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It was steady work but the pay was sub par for the industry. There were opportunities fo work from home only it did not interest me There were periods of mandatory overtime that could sometimes be excessive but it would look good on the paycheck.

Cons

There was always risk of being downsized. I worked there for over six years and one day they virtually downsized my entire department with the exception of a few people.

Management does not lead by example. Take do not the time to get to know the employees and humanize the team concept.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sometimes a company is just too big....

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at WellPoint full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The biggest pro for Wellpoint is the stability and strength of the company. Great benefits and pay.

Cons

There are a few negatives that stick out... It is an employment environment that is built on bullying by management. For instance, I worked in a group that was primarily all MBA's from a specific school. I was actually belittled by my direct manager with comments like "You won't understand this, it's something we learned in our MBA program" and other such comments... The privacy factor stands out as a big downfall, so while fully understandable, it makes working at Wellpoint very difficult....

Teach management skills... Both within HR to notice issues and with managers.

Smoke and mirrors

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at WellPoint full-time for less than a year

Pros

Competive salary, telecommuting, weight watchers

Cons

Constant changing processes with little training and the only focus is "production and quotas". They don't slow down for any learning curve adjustments. They offer"production credits" but give a full workload daily knowing you may have to work over to get it done on time. Salary people are expected to work 45 hrs per week. The flexible job hours are going away along with the part time positions. The areas within are so diverse that one area may have an easy job with no stress and another area feels like a sweat shop.

Support your employees, especially the ones you know are hard workers.

Once good company continuing to slide down-hill

Former Employee - IT Manager  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - IT Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at WellPoint full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Have a good competitive salary, bonus, time off policies. Virtual nature of the business accomodates some work-from-home opportunities as well.

Cons

The reaction to the Affordable Health Care Act was to remove virutally all value-add programs and focus on simply processing claims. This forced an extremely strong and ethical senior management out of the company. The company is still struggling to find it's identity or set the positive direction for as a market leader.

Review your goals and objectives from prior leadership teams and ensure you have strong / knowledgeable leaders who can move you forward, not just leftovers from a by-gone era.

Welcome to the Jungle

Current Employee - Director Technology  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Director Technology in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at WellPoint full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good pay, flexible about time and work location (this may be changing). There are some parts of the company's approach to the market that are brilliant and will make WellPoint a profitable business for years to come. There are many talented people

Cons

Constant management turnover. Senior management has convinced themselves that constant changes to the players will somehow benefit the company. Much of this can be attributed to complete dependence on consultants for every decision. The result is an environment where job #1 is trying to keep your job and teamwork is a lost art.

Pay attention to employees ideas instead of the consultant that wines and dines you, promises a big job when the inevitable happens and you lose your WellPoint gig

Legal Department that values business minded attorneys / Need to focus more on engaging and promoting top talent

Former Employee - Attorney  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Attorney in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at WellPoint full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

WellPoint's Legal Department, under the direction of its former GC, supports attorneys efforts to integrate themselves into their client's business operations and processes. There were always a number of opportunities to step up and take on interesting work and potentially, a leadership role within Legal.

Cons

Legal Department, like the company, has evolved based on acquisitions. Some dead weight that should retire or be set free. Power houses, work horses and innovators in the Legal Dept are easily identified, but may not be promoted over senior peers (lack of meritocracy and more seniority based)). Company is constantly reorganizing. Legal has historically reorg'd to align with business, which sometimes doesn't make sense based on the expertise or institutional knowledge of certain lawyers.

Assess Legal Department talent to ensure that they are being sufficiently challenged and interested in their work. If not, then consider reassigning your top talent to areas that will keep them engaged and feeling valuable.

Layed Back very supportive management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at WellPoint as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Upper Management is very supportive, helpful when needed. Provided challanging assignments to grow. Peers are very cooperative and responsive to get the job done as a team.

Cons

Some of the divisions in WellPoint are not as efficient where I work. It take them forever to resolve critical issues, thus: our work are on hold. They are slow with responses too.

Be ready for constant change

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at WellPoint full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Benefits, many opportunities for advancement if willing to work hard.

Cons

Leadership is sometimes out of touch with the general population of associates. A lot of change without explanations.

Worked for WellPoint? Contribute to the Community!