WellPoint
www.wellpoint.com Indianapolis, IN 5000+ Employees

WellPoint Reviews

Updated Apr 12, 2014

Joseph R. Swedish

Pros:
  • "I work from home which is very nice as I don't have to fight traffic every day"
    in 70 reviews
  • "Good level of work/life balance, it's definitely a 9-5 environment"
    in 28 reviews
Cons:
  • "They demand a lot and do not take work/life balance into consideration very often"
    in 19 reviews
  • "Senior Management does not even show respect of managment/ The VPs change every 6 months"
    in 12 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

DSU

I have been working at WellPoint

ProsCONCERNED advancement no micromanagement team

Consovertime benefits days off sch

Layed Back very supportive management

Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at WellPoint as a contractor for more than a year

ProsUpper Management is very supportive, helpful when needed. Provided challanging assignments to grow. Peers are very cooperative and responsive to get the job done as a team.

ConsSome of the divisions in WellPoint are not as efficient where I work. It take them forever to resolve critical issues, thus: our work are on hold. They are slow with responses too.

Be ready for constant change

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at WellPoint full-time for more than 10 years

ProsBenefits, many opportunities for advancement if willing to work hard.

ConsLeadership is sometimes out of touch with the general population of associates. A lot of change without explanations.

Unprofessional

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I worked at WellPoint full-time for more than a year

ProsThe ability to work from home at times was very nice. The fact that they support diversity is great!

ConsUnprofessional upper management. HR is no help they just cover up problems. Senior staff talks to you like you are less and offer very little training.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the "little people" we are the closest to your consumers.

Smoke and mirrors

Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at WellPoint full-time for less than a year

ProsCompetive salary, telecommuting, weight watchers

ConsConstant changing processes with little training and the only focus is "production and quotas". They don't slow down for any learning curve adjustments. They offer"production credits" but give a full workload daily knowing you may have to work over to get it done on time. Salary people are expected to work 45 hrs per week. The flexible job hours are going away along with the part time positions. The areas within are so diverse that one area may have an easy job with no stress and another area feels like a sweat shop.

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport your employees, especially the ones you know are hard workers.

Legal Department that values business minded attorneys / Need to focus more on engaging and promoting top talent

Attorney (Former Employee)

I worked at WellPoint full-time for more than 8 years

ProsWellPoint's Legal Department, under the direction of its former GC, supports attorneys efforts to integrate themselves into their client's business operations and processes. There were always a number of opportunities to step up and take on interesting work and potentially, a leadership role within Legal.

ConsLegal Department, like the company, has evolved based on acquisitions. Some dead weight that should retire or be set free. Power houses, work horses and innovators in the Legal Dept are easily identified, but may not be promoted over senior peers (lack of meritocracy and more seniority based)). Company is constantly reorganizing. Legal has historically reorg'd to align with business, which sometimes doesn't make sense based on the expertise or institutional knowledge of certain lawyers.

Advice to Senior ManagementAssess Legal Department talent to ensure that they are being sufficiently challenged and interested in their work. If not, then consider reassigning your top talent to areas that will keep them engaged and feeling valuable.

Used to be a great place to work

I have been working at WellPoint

ProsFantastic work from home policy, you can work full-time from home, which enables you to get a somewhat better work life balance; benefits are decent but coverage could be better since we are a health insurance company after all-seems our customers get offered better plans; great at over communicating what is going on in the company & industry; yes annual associate survey is taken seriously; growth opportunities are there but at a certain point you seem to hit a ceiling-lots of jobs available (if you have the right skillset)

ConsEnvironment appears to be getting cut-throat; lots of CYA occurring; cannot make a mistake; cannot miss a deadline/date/commitment-no excuses; management wants the "A Team"/"All-Stars"; want to "upgrade talent"; numerous reorganizations-year after year; change is constant therefore you can never settle in which makes it difficult to have a consistent team; if your in management then it is difficult to build a team & keep it together more than a year and a half because a reorg will probably occur and you have to start all over again; in general hard to keep track of who is doing what since the company changes players often ; work life balance if you are in Information Technology is a nightmare-not uncommon to work during their scheduled time off-be called while on vacation and/or be sent an email while on vacation and be expected to look at it and get on a call if needed. Many people in their positions for extended periods of time (like 10 years). Hard to get promoted; glass ceiling very real; hard to move up without knowing the right people.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeriously think about how you are treating people; this is a service company after all nothing-nothing tangible is being produced/manufactured a such people ARE your most important assets so treat them with respect.

Welcome to the Jungle

Director Technology (Current Employee)

I have been working at WellPoint full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood pay, flexible about time and work location (this may be changing). There are some parts of the company's approach to the market that are brilliant and will make WellPoint a profitable business for years to come. There are many talented people

ConsConstant management turnover. Senior management has convinced themselves that constant changes to the players will somehow benefit the company. Much of this can be attributed to complete dependence on consultants for every decision. The result is an environment where job #1 is trying to keep your job and teamwork is a lost art.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to employees ideas instead of the consultant that wines and dines you, promises a big job when the inevitable happens and you lose your WellPoint gig

Nice place to work

I have been working at WellPoint

ProsTwice a week work from home facility

ConsNot suitable for aggressive candidates

Actuarial Analyst

Actuarial Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at WellPoint full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood study program. Great learning opportunities

ConsTeammates may be spread out all over the country, which might not be good for associates at junior level.

Worked for WellPoint? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at WellPoint reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for WellPoint CEO Joseph R. Swedish. All 423 reviews posted anonymously by WellPoint employees.