WellPoint

Updated January 28, 2015
Updated January 28, 2015
3.3

Joseph R. Swedish

Pros
  • I work from home which is very nice as I don't have to fight traffic every day (in 107 reviews)

• Good level of work/life balance, it's definitely a 9-5 environment (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • They demand a lot and do not take work/life balance into consideration very often (in 28 reviews)

• This forced an extremely strong and ethical senior management out of the company (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

WellPoint... take a closer look and be very careful...!

I worked at WellPoint

Pros

I thought long and hard but could not come up with any Pros; well they allow some work from home, but that's on the decline...

Cons

Not very diverse. For a company of its size and national breadth, you could count the leaders of color at the VP level (approx. 200 people at these levels) and higher on ONE HAND. the current diversity numbers are achieved in the contact centers, lower wage areas.

The Business Operations (Service Operations) is not very progressive. Over the past decade the business has used every excuse to not make progress, usually blaming IT, and as a result the IT Org has flipped multiple times over the past decade.

The spent much of the past 3 years fight health care reform and the President (instead of focusing on winning in the new environment)

You will be low-balled on pay; the bonus program was recently ‘adjusted’.

I don’t know how we were able to fool accounts like Google and FedEx to join us.
    The running joke internally was that WellPoint was a shiny Mercedes on the outside, but underneath not more than a Chevy Vega.

If you join, get the top base salary that you can and set your expectations accordingly. Perhaps Joe Swedish can effect some change going forward.

stop focusing on being the low cost provider; truly invest in IT AND FORCE your business operations to live in the new world. Add formal language in the performance objectives to diversify at the Director and above levels.

Constant changes, restructuring, culture of pointing fingers and blaming others!

I worked at WellPoint full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work schedule flexibilities.

Cons

Poor health benefits particularly from a health-insurance provider. Ok PTO benefits and holidays. Average 401K match for this size company. Upper management provide no support to lower level employees. Meetings to resolve issues were consumed by finger pointings and accusations against each other. Some people were hired as full time employees only to be let go within months due to reorgs. Do not expect to have job security here.

Evaluate long term strategies and stop acting reactively. Give time for changes to settle before implementing yet another change. Support your employees at all levels.

Initiation into for profit enterprise

I worked at WellPoint

Pros

Excellent interfacing of nursing experience with computer databases; Learning experience of integrating Milliman criteria with nursing skills; good benefits for single employee

Cons

Job description during interview did not correlate with reality; emphasis placed on productivity, not on patient advocacy; Exempt but required to be on phones from 8:30 to 5:00, except for hour lunch; mandated to remain until cases completed without compensation; unreliable computer system

Invest in updated electronics and services; initiate education and training prior to mandating changes in systems and procedures

Unprofessional, Depressing Environment

I worked at WellPoint

Pros

Salary was competitive, ample time off, experience working for a huge player in health insurance, several modes of communication are available across departments (phone, email, live chat, SharePoint, etc), Decent benefits, lots of good training opportunities (online)

Cons

I worked for a subsidiary company, so my experience may have been a little different. Management was highly unprofessional - had obvious favorites who they socialized with outside of work hours. The work environment was unclean. The dress code was casual (to the point of pajama looking clothes in the office at times). They played music over the loud speaker that often played inappropriate lyrics or religious Christmas music. Also, I found our culture in my group was quite anti-college, I was the one of the only ones with a degree, and had snarky comments made to me regularly.

Middle management should be held to higher standards, and senior leadership should be more careful about who they hire in those positions. With the large company, our VP was several states away. He never got to see what the office was "really like" when he wasn't there. Middle management ran the show, which was scary!

Don't do it

Current Employee - Information Technology in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Information Technology in Richmond, VA

I have been working at WellPoint full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Salary and Bonus, potential to work from home.

Cons

Management is dysfunctional. Environment is what's known in the IT industry as a "sweat shop"..churn'em and burn' em. You're a"resource" to be" loaded up" with work(whether you've been trained or not) not a human.
    Our department constantly operates in crisis mode. No on-boarding process to properly train new employees. No documented processes. Old timers who would rather do it themselves than train someone.(job security...but I don't want your job). Not sure how the managers got their positions with no experience in the field or technology that's being used, plus they can't even manage people properly?
    One of the worst places I've ever worked.
    You know a job is bad when you first start and they ask you every day.."so you decided to come back" .

Get rid of ineffective managers.

Be VERY Cautious if You are Looking to Work Here

Former Employee - Customer Care Representative in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Care Representative in Houston, TX

I worked at WellPoint full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The company's benefits are the only justifiable incentive for seeking employment there. Sadly, the cons are more evident than the pros.

Cons

This company's call center is the most unprofessional establishment I have ever set foot in. The managers are loud, obnoxious and exceedingly uneducated. Upper level management supports lower level management in this type of behavior because as long as they are behaving like fools, they are not at risk of taking their jobs. The culture of the company is similar to that of an inner city project apartment. If you have any desire to interact with intelligent and cultured individuals while at work, look elsewhere. However, if you would like a job where you are treated like a minimal intelligence, lower-level subordinate in an adult day care setting, this company is for you.

You should encourage your subordinates to behave in a way that is not detrimental to the overall image of the company. Additionally, you should refrain from treating your employees is such a disrespectful and dismissive manner.

Development advisor

Former Employee - Development Advisor in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Former Employee - Development Advisor in Thousand Oaks, CA

I worked at WellPoint full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible, good culture,ideal location,training's and salary

Cons

They dont respond on time for open postions

None

Terrible, Terrible

Former Employee - Administrative in Albany, NY
    Former Employee - Administrative in Albany, NY

I worked at WellPoint full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Pay was great! But worked a lot of hours for it

Cons

Leadership and management were the worst I ever worked for! Lying right to you.

Incompetent! Look at each other!

Awsome

Current Employee - HEALTH PLAN ADVISOR
    Current Employee - HEALTH PLAN ADVISOR

I have been working at WellPoint as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Great training and great management

Cons

Personally I don't think there are any

Not a recommended place to work

I have been working at WellPoint full-time

Pros

Work from home arrangement for many jobs.

Cons

Highly politicized work environment. Limited mobility if you are a minority.

WellPoint Photos