WellPoint

Updated December 15, 2014
Updated December 15, 2014
3.3

Joseph R. Swedish

Pros
  • I work from home which is very nice as I don't have to fight traffic every day (in 107 reviews)

• Good level of work/life balance, it's definitely a 9-5 environment (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • They demand a lot and do not take work/life balance into consideration very often (in 28 reviews)

• This forced an extremely strong and ethical senior management out of the company (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Enjoyable place to work

Current Employee - Developer Advisor in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Developer Advisor in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at WellPoint full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

While this may vary team to team:
    Realistic deadlines
    Very flexible for schedule
    Great work/life balance

Cons

Gets busy towards the end of year

Unprofessional, Depressing Environment

I worked at WellPoint

Pros

Salary was competitive, ample time off, experience working for a huge player in health insurance, several modes of communication are available across departments (phone, email, live chat, SharePoint, etc), Decent benefits, lots of good training opportunities (online)

Cons

I worked for a subsidiary company, so my experience may have been a little different. Management was highly unprofessional - had obvious favorites who they socialized with outside of work hours. The work environment was unclean. The dress code was casual (to the point of pajama looking clothes in the office at times). They played music over the loud speaker that often played inappropriate lyrics or religious Christmas music. Also, I found our culture in my group was quite anti-college, I was the one of the only ones with a degree, and had snarky comments made to me regularly.

Middle management should be held to higher standards, and senior leadership should be more careful about who they hire in those positions. With the large company, our VP was several states away. He never got to see what the office was "really like" when he wasn't there. Middle management ran the show, which was scary!

Current full-time employee for nearly 10 years

Current Employee - Clinical in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Clinical in New York, NY

I have been working at WellPoint full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Work from home. Pay appears to be on par with the competition, not much room for growth within the department.

Cons

work/life-family balance does not exist. Many relatively new employees promoted to team-lead and/or manager status creating some tension and mistrust from folks who have been with the company. Expectations are often unrealistic and major changes are rolled out with short or no notice at all affecting effectiveness and efficiency of my unit. Complaints seem to stop at immediate manager's level and are not escalated to upper management.10-16 hours on the job, with multiple weekends (just for catching up, not overtime pay). Burnout among seasonal employees is high, and if it was not for work at home options many would have moved on.

There are many functions which could be passed on non-clinical personnel such as keeping and reporting stats, calls out to providers/members, and general administrative, non-clinical issues and compliance. We simply need more people to do the job, especially in the field where turnaround time is mandated.

Room for Improvement

Current Employee - Bus Info Analyst II in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Bus Info Analyst II in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at WellPoint full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Ample time off. Legacy Wellpoint offers telecommute option, though this policy does not necessarily filter down to its subsidiary companies. Culture which is a focal point of the CEO is highly dependent on which department you are in. So some departments are highly dysfunctional, others not so much and part of the reason for that is the company is an amalgamation of different companies acquired over time.

Cons

Limited opportunity for growth. Managers pick their favorites. Pay is subpar. ESPP could be better. The norm is 15% off the market price for ESPP participants but WLP offers a much lower percentage than this.

Listen to the employees.

Don't do it

Current Employee - Information Technology in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Information Technology in Richmond, VA

I have been working at WellPoint full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Salary and Bonus, potential to work from home.

Cons

Management is dysfunctional. Environment is what's known in the IT industry as a "sweat shop"..churn'em and burn' em. You're a"resource" to be" loaded up" with work(whether you've been trained or not) not a human.
    Our department constantly operates in crisis mode. No on-boarding process to properly train new employees. No documented processes. Old timers who would rather do it themselves than train someone.(job security...but I don't want your job). Not sure how the managers got their positions with no experience in the field or technology that's being used, plus they can't even manage people properly?
    One of the worst places I've ever worked.
    You know a job is bad when you first start and they ask you every day.."so you decided to come back" .

Get rid of ineffective managers.

Pros and Cons

Former Employee - Customer Care Representative III in Albany, NY
    Former Employee - Customer Care Representative III in Albany, NY

I worked at WellPoint full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The pay is good in comparison to other companies and depending on the time of year overtime is also offered and you may be able to work overtime for another area.

Cons

Frustrating calls with little to no support from management. If you're a good representative management will sometimes hold you back from advancing within the company.

Support associates more

Claims Analyst

Current Employee - Claims Representative in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Claims Representative in Houston, TX

I have been working at WellPoint full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Constantly working. Room for growth.

Cons

Sometimes your operations expert might be in another state, getting immediate help with work can be challenging because they are also busy with so many things.

Good company dependent upon what division you're in.

I have been working at WellPoint full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible hours and ability to telecommute.

Cons

Lack of work life balance

Be VERY Cautious if You are Looking to Work Here

Former Employee - Customer Care Representative in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Care Representative in Houston, TX

I worked at WellPoint full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company's benefits are the only justifiable incentive for seeking employment there. Sadly, the cons are more evident than the pros.

Cons

This company's call center is the most unprofessional establishment I have ever set foot in. The managers are loud, obnoxious and exceedingly uneducated. Upper level management supports lower level management in this type of behavior because as long as they are behaving like fools, they are not at risk of taking their jobs. The culture of the company is similar to that of an inner city project apartment. If you have any desire to interact with intelligent and cultured individuals while at work, look elsewhere. However, if you would like a job where you are treated like a minimal intelligence, lower-level subordinate in an adult day care setting, this company is for you.

You should encourage your subordinates to behave in a way that is not detrimental to the overall image of the company. Additionally, you should refrain from treating your employees is such a disrespectful and dismissive manner.

Lots of Leaders Doing Very Little Leading!

I worked at WellPoint full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Most of the IT people I worked with worked remote.

Cons

10 to 14 hour days were the norm. Lots of outdated requirements little decision making from how to deal with these issues.

Get rid of the middle management layer as they hear complaints and suggestions and fail to drive them up. There is no work life balance because the culture is one of be seen online and 14 to 16 hour days make you look like you're working hard rather than exposing there's an issue with people who aren't skilled enough to be in some of the decision making positions! Working remote was a god send, but it shouldn't mean 12 hour plus work days!

WellPoint Photos