WellPoint Reviews

Updated September 18, 2014
Updated September 18, 2014
3.3

Joseph R. Swedish

Pros
  • I work from home which is very nice as I don't have to fight traffic every day (in 97 reviews)

• Good level of work/life balance, it's definitely a 9-5 environment (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • They demand a lot and do not take work/life balance into consideration very often (in 22 reviews)

• This forced an extremely strong and ethical senior management out of the company (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work

I worked at WellPoint full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The salary was very good for my geographic area. We had flexible work schedules and were able to work from home. The benefits were good. This was a great place to work and the people were wonderful.

Cons

The company was bought by another , causing the closure of this office. Outsourcing of certain services was done several years before we merged and this caused layoffs.

Good pay, excellent benefits - CSR III

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative III  in  Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative III in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at WellPoint full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexible schedules, good pay. Excellent benefits. Work at home possible. Easy work, despite stress of talking to people all day long. Relaxed attire approved.

Cons

Hard to move up. Stressful at times when dealing with irate callers. Not all positions allow work at home. Been here 6.5 yrs, very repetitive.

Stressful at times, could use more time off.

I am WellPoint

Current Employee - Pharmacist
    Current Employee - Pharmacist

I have been working at WellPoint full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work-life balance. Benefits, work from home, use clinical and functional skills about how Rx get processed to help real people troubleshoot issues. Use everything I know and encouraged to keep learning. Always looking to improve.

Cons

Huge company, people's experience relies a lot on their direct manager and that management branch. It also relies on their understanding of how what they do helps people, many people do not understand this. This is not unusual. Always looking to improve, upper management changes can really swing direction at times.

Keep in mind it is great customer service that inspires loyalty and great inter team work and understanding of healthcare as a whole that fuels great customer service. Our members are our families... Immediate and extended.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall great company.

Current Employee - Health Educator  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Health Educator in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at WellPoint full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work hours, tuition reimbursement, yearly bonuses, work from home options.

Cons

Lack of advancement opportunities within the company.

Merging of Cultures

Former Employee - Vice President Level
    Former Employee - Vice President Level

I worked at WellPoint full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very good people focused on making a difference in the lives of the people they serve. Great opportunities to show what you can do.

Cons

Due to the integration of multiple mergers and acquisitions, constant shifting of priorities and approval chains required to get the job done. Groups that were part of organizations that believed in de-centralized management struggled with the overhead and speed of progress from those looking to have everything centrally controlled. Death by Committee.

Increased communication and strategy and goal. Once set, empower the team to get it done and get out of the way.

The company overall, I would rate as a good place to work.

Current Employee - Associate Medical Director  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Medical Director in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at WellPoint full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The information I received was fair.

Cons

The information w as not what I was looking for.

The benefits are good.

RN

I have been working at WellPoint full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good salary and work from home.

Cons

No flexibility with schedule.

Toe the line, play the game and you'll be ok.

Former Employee - Business Information Analyst  in  Thousand Oaks, CA
    Former Employee - Business Information Analyst in Thousand Oaks, CA

I worked at WellPoint full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

A big company with lots of hiring opportunities all over the country. Good benefits and flexible work schedule. If you are lucky enough to have a good manager then you'll be happy.

Cons

The company is continuously evolving and transforming causing an out with the old, in with the new scenario. While always hiring, Wellpoint continues to lay people off. I've known people who had been with Wellpoint from the beginning only to be let go after the sale to Anthem was completed. I have seen quarterly reports posted to the wall showing sizable profits only to hear about layoffs in the following weeks because the profits were not as much as promised to the stock holders.

If you happen to have issues with your manager accept the fact that you have no recourse, legal or otherwise, but to go along with the program. The Human Resources department is there to support management and keep the company from getting sued. If you are let go you can never go back. They have very expensive legal council and
    cover all their bases.

Also, whatever salary you go in with you will be stuck with. Star performers received 4% merit/cost of living increases, 2-3% was the norm. The annual bonus is nice but is not given to those put on probation. If you are one of those who can become a drone and not let the verbal abuses and lack of professional attitude from your manager get to you then you can survive this place. If you're not this type of individual then save yourself the stress, sleepless nights and hypertension and look elsewhere.

Really it is pointless to advise management of anything because they think they know everything. What motivates them is the quarterly Wall Street report which shores up their bonuses and stock options. American corporations spend millions of dollars to hire the brightest and best people only to consummately try to pull the wool over their eyes after they are hired.

Want a life ? Don't work for Wellpoint.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Manchester, NH
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Manchester, NH

I have been working at WellPoint full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

That I can work from home.

Cons

Next to impossible to get time off . If you have a doctor's appointment and only need a couple of hours off,it's usually not approved. We as employees are not given sick days so if we take a day off due to being ill or have appointments,it's more than not considered "unscheduled" which counts against us. Wellpoint also provides lousy health care coverage for the employees.

Managers and other higher ups seem to have no problem getting their vacation time approved. All we are is a number to them . All the managers care about is what makes Wellpoint look good . They claim to care so much for their customers but really they don't care for their employees. What's my advise to Management?? Happy employees=happy customers!

Great company

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at WellPoint full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits and great leadership

Cons

Location is horrible due to traffic

Worked for WellPoint? Contribute to the Community!