WellPoint Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

1. Good company dependent upon what division you're in.

I have been working at WellPoint full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible hours and ability to telecommute.

Cons

Lack of work life balance

Good pay but lackluster benefits and culture

I have been working at WellPoint

Pros

Pay is great, people are generally nice, constant learning, flexible scheduling

Cons

Work-life balance is nonexistent at every level in some departments, especially on the Medicare side of the business. Resources are not aligned with management's expectations of the work that needs to be done. Burn-out is obvious among the best employees, which is a shame. Because the learning curve is so steep, turnover is very difficult to manage among remaining staff and new hires.

Advice to Management

Hire more people, train them better, and give them attainable goals so they can maintain some semblance of satisfaction in their professional and personal lives. They'll be better positioned to perform well for you.

Excellent Pay and Benefits, Insane Expectations

Current Employee - Developer Advisor in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Developer Advisor in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at WellPoint full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company culture, people, and work environment are great. The pay and benefits are above average except they are skimpy with PTO.

Cons

The workload is insane. (I work in IT.) Projects are promised based on what will make the managers look good, not on what is realistic. We never have time to do anything right, so we frequently have to make time to do it over. And that time comes out of our personal lives, those of us who have managed to hang on to one at all. We knew going in it wasn't a 40 hour week, but it has gone from the occasional 45-50 hour week to 10 x 6 or 8 x 7 as the norm, and we are on salary. We get resources too late in the project to train them to be much good, and training them takes time away from the time we can spend doing everything because we have no time to train!

Advice to Management

Add capacity much earlier and plan for training time. Dropping contract developers into a highly specialized environment doesn't permit us to get the best use from either the experienced FTEs or the contractors. Hire at the beginning of the project so they can be fully up and running when the pace picks up, and have extra capacity. In the end it will cost less in terms of productivity, deadlines met, and turnover reduction. I have seen three FTE developers come and go in two years and they all said the same thing--"this is too much work for one person to handle." Also, enforce some discipline on the requirements process. We have gotten last-minute requirements changes and scope creep on nearly every project, and it is always IT that gets blamed for missed deadlines.

5. I love my job

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative III in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative III in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at WellPoint full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Everyone is held accountable for the work they do. And, the fact that I get a bonus 4 times a year doesn't hurt.

Cons

Career advancement is hard to achieve

Started out great...5 years later, not so much

Current Employee - Claims Representative in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Claims Representative in Columbus, OH

I have been working at WellPoint full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working from home, Paid time off

Cons

Lack of training, poor management and executive leadership, set their operations employees up for failure, unreasonable expectations

Advice to Management

Consider how your decisions affect those under you; management is about more than logistics, it involves being a good people person as well.

7. Terrible company to work for.

Former Employee - Customer Care Representative I in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Customer Care Representative I in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at WellPoint full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice facilities in VA. Coworkers are nice.

Cons

Management could care less what you think ; promotions are a joke. Training is a waste of time. Three week training period consist of reading a book and filling in the blanks.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your employees.

Neutral pros and cons with co

Current Employee - Operations in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Operations in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at WellPoint full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Advancement Opportunities for the assoc in the company that want to go to the next level. Has to work hard to

Cons

Customer and Provider Satisfaction expectations are a little high. The associates have to take verbal abuse and disrespect on the phones but remain professional. Insurance for employees copays and out of pocket too high

Advice to Management

Focus on development for associates

Mentally Taxing

Former Employee - Project Manager in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at WellPoint full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Other employees made the time here enjoyable. Flexible work arrangements and competitive benefits.

Cons

Will hire managers with no experience to lead seasoned employees causing internal conflicts.Work-life balance is touted but not obtainable. In a leadership or salaried position you will run the risk of burn out by attempting to keep up with the demands of a dept.

Don't do it

Current Employee - Information Technology in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Information Technology in Richmond, VA

I have been working at WellPoint full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salary and Bonus, potential to work from home.

Cons

Management is dysfunctional. Environment is what's known in the IT industry as a "sweat shop"..churn'em and burn' em. You're a"resource" to be" loaded up" with work(whether you've been trained or not) not a human. Our department constantly operates in crisis mode. No on-boarding process to properly train new employees. No documented processes. Old timers who would rather do it themselves than train someone.(job security...but I don't want your job). Not sure how the managers got their positions with no experience in the field or technology that's being used, plus they can't even manage people properly? One of the worst places I've ever worked. You know a job is bad when you first start and they ask you every day.."so you decided to come back" .

Advice to Management

Get rid of ineffective managers.

Telephonic Nursing Case Management & Utilization Review

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at WellPoint full-time

Pros

Sometimes when we have last minute staff meetings at lunchtime we got pizza. When the work unit was small and self sufficient with good initial management.

Cons

Then it got too big too fast with mid- level supervisors and QA that audited you to death! Daily audits, weekly audits AND monthly PERFORMANCE plans, just for starters. Listening in to calls, reviewing our screens, we are PROFESSIONALS for Pete's sake. Should have let us do our job with your guidelines.

Advice to Management

Lead, follow, or GET OUT OFTHE way. Unit failed.

RSS Feed </> Embed