WellPoint

Updated January 14, 2015
Updated January 14, 2015
3.3

Joseph R. Swedish

Pros
  • I work from home which is very nice as I don't have to fight traffic every day (in 107 reviews)

• Good level of work/life balance, it's definitely a 9-5 environment (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • They demand a lot and do not take work/life balance into consideration very often (in 28 reviews)

• This forced an extremely strong and ethical senior management out of the company (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

22 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

20 years in the business

Current Employee - Senior Business Consultant in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Business Consultant in Richmond, VA

I have been working at WellPoint full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits such as insurance, 401k, PTO, on-site gym and other fringe benefits are very competitve for the market. Salary is pretty good. Bonuses are given each year and can be low one year and high the next but much appreciated. Been able to move around the company in different roles. People here are friendly and smart. Company values work-life balance although I have heard complaints about some managers pushing their associates to work more when time off is needed. One of the top leaders in the health insurance industry.

Cons

Lack of diversity in management is a definite con. Company has a diversity program but there is no follow through where management is concerned. You see diversity in the lower levels but definitely not in middle/high management. Another con..but not much of one...if you don't use your PTO because you are working all of the time, you can stop accruing it...which is a problem because then you take PTO and still end up working.

Better one to start your technical career

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Richmond, VA

I have been working at WellPoint as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

One could learn more technical and domain knowledge here. This company is more process oriented and well organised. As it deals with large number of people and data, good place to start the career.

Cons

We can expect a loads of work and always monitored. One might feel tough to bring in the new ideas as everything is done based on single framework

Don't do it

Current Employee - Information Technology in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Information Technology in Richmond, VA

I have been working at WellPoint full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Salary and Bonus, potential to work from home.

Cons

Management is dysfunctional. Environment is what's known in the IT industry as a "sweat shop"..churn'em and burn' em. You're a"resource" to be" loaded up" with work(whether you've been trained or not) not a human.
    Our department constantly operates in crisis mode. No on-boarding process to properly train new employees. No documented processes. Old timers who would rather do it themselves than train someone.(job security...but I don't want your job). Not sure how the managers got their positions with no experience in the field or technology that's being used, plus they can't even manage people properly?
    One of the worst places I've ever worked.
    You know a job is bad when you first start and they ask you every day.."so you decided to come back" .

Get rid of ineffective managers.

Shady Business Practices

Former Employee - Account Manager in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Richmond, VA

I worked at WellPoint full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Ability to work from home

Cons

IT systems so antiquated half the time the programs don't work and they take millions of dollars from customers for programs that have no value. Account Executives and upper mgt cover it up and support NOT giving customers refunds because that impacts their bonus.

Be honest - listen to the little people instead of just Account Execs.

"Until something better comes along" type of job

Former Employee - Customer Care Representative in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Customer Care Representative in Richmond, VA

I worked at WellPoint full-time (more than a year)

Pros

My coworkers were great. They made the job less miserable. The benefits were a plus also.

Cons

Extremely micromanaged. You can barely take a 3 minute bathroom break without someone coming to your desk wondering where you are. The PTO policy sucked. The job was very demanding and the salary didn't even come close to matching the duties that were expected. The company doesn't seem to care about their employees and instead want to get as much out of them with as little pay as possible. They treat the employees like children instead of adults.

Advancement is pretty slim. If you're just in desperate need of a job OR if you're fresh out of high school and wanting to gain some experience, this might be an option. (If you don't mind busting your butt while being unappreciated and underpaid.) I finished my Bachelor's program and ran the heck out of there and now working for a company I love with excellent benefits. If you have other options, take it. I don't see this company lasting much longer.

Micromanaging your employees comes across as if you don't trust your employees. If you hired them, expect them to do their jobs without you being on their back every second of the day. Also, treat your employees like human beings and not like robots. Show a little appreciation for the ones who are "the face" of your company.

You learn a great deal of information through the entry level program giving you the tools needed to succeed

Current Employee - Claim Analyst in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Claim Analyst in Richmond, VA

I have been working at WellPoint full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The growth. You are able to succeed in any area of the health insurance industry.

Cons

The start out pay is not good at all.

N/A Management is very orderly and caring.

Interesting

Former Employee - Content Editor in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Content Editor in Richmond, VA

I worked at WellPoint as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

The people I worked with directly.

Cons

The associates weren't exactly friendly towards contractors. Still not sure to this day if our team made progress in the endeavor.

none

So far so good

Current Employee - Claims Processor in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Claims Processor in Richmond, VA

I have been working at WellPoint full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Communication is very good in the hiring process

Cons

No cons that I can think of...Will update later

work life balance, whats that ?

Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Richmond, VA

I worked at WellPoint as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

The company is getting bigger and better everyday and there is a good chance to learn new things at work.

Cons

only work - no personal life, Pantry doesn't even have a coffee machine.

Please treat employees as human beings and do not put their life at stake for company's prosperity.

Do NOT Contract for them, and don't agree to work for them unless you're in management (and not even then!)

Former Employee - Analyst in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Richmond, VA

I worked at WellPoint as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun environment, GREAT benefits if hired full time and GREAT company environment with many fun days and activities.

Cons

Operates like a sinking ship. Went through 3 CEOs in my short time there. TOO MANY shakeups at the upper level, will axe and rehire large amounts of workers seemingly random, now offshoring large parts of the lower levels of the company overseas (Antigua, Argentina, Manila, Panama, India, Uruguay and more) and its now depressing to walk in the once bustling buildings that are now ghost halls.

No communication. Not even to other management teams. Axed the whole IT dept stateside, moved it to Uruguay and noone was sure what was going on aside HR.

WellPoint Photos