WellPoint

www.wellpoint.com

WellPoint Reviews in Thousand Oaks, CA

Updated May 22, 2014

Joseph R. Swedish

Pros
  • I work from home which is very nice as I don't have to fight traffic every day (in 97 reviews)

• Good level of work/life balance, it's definitely a 9-5 environment (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • They demand a lot and do not take work/life balance into consideration very often (in 22 reviews)

• This forced an extremely strong and ethical senior management out of the company (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights
20 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

It manager

IT Manager (Current Employee) Thousand Oaks, CA

ProsGood salary base, work at home is a plus

ConsLots of re-org does not make an emoter feel safe

Advice to Senior ManagementNa

Lack of planning caused too many last minute rush jobs

Marketing Manager (Current Employee) Thousand Oaks, CA

ProsFlexible work schedule/work from home options

ConsLack of planning caused too many last minute rush jobs in crucial enrollment period

Going downhill fast.

Senior Business Systems Analyst (Current Employee) Thousand Oaks, CA

ProsI work from home which is very nice as I don't have to fight traffic every day.
    The rank and file people I work with are knowledgable and friendly.

ConsSenior Management has no clue about how things work.
    Senior Management likes to chase shiny objects and doesn't concentrate on the things that matter to a business.
    Benefits for the rank and file have been slowly chipped away.
    Medical, Pharmacy and Vision benefits are a joke. Seems like we should have the best insurance but the PPO plans are not affordable and the deductibles are outrageous. Senior Management should be ashamed of themselves.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart treating the people that allow you to get your 8 figure salaries with the respect they deserve.
    Provide decent benefits and pay market rates.
    We used to get a holiday party, not anymore.
    We used to get a pension, not anymore.
    We used to get decent benefits, not anymore.
    We used to be respected, not anymore.

Saying one of your goals is to double the stock price in 5 years should NOT be a goal. If you take care of the fundamentals the stock will take care of itself.

Most important, LIVE YOUR VALUES! Right now the values that Anthem/WellPoint has are just words on paper. They don't seem to care about their employees or their members.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Could be a great company, if not for the dysfunction, disorganization waste of human and other capital.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Thousand Oaks, CA

ProsSalary and benefits are relatively competitive. The work is interesting and challenging. I have a flexible work arrangement.

ConsWasteful - contracts are signed that commit payment to vendors, however the items on the contracts are never used. Company doesn't walk it's talk: it's not easy to do business within WellPoint, the processes are a mess, tons of layoffs mean a change in direction every three months, especially in IT which is a huge part of the organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop firing executives. Fix the processes. Invest in your employee development.

Developer I

Developer II (Current Employee) Thousand Oaks, CA

ProsWell work life balance.
    Nice office location.

ConsToo slow in process anything.

It was a good ride, while it lasted

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Thousand Oaks, CA

ProsCash flow positive employer with good benefits

ConsWith the constant downsizing, the remaining staff are overworked. California employees are the step-children of the Ohio and Indiana team and are required to work many hours while the other states have work life balance

Advice to Senior Managementyou pay for what you get. California employees do earn more due to cost of living, however the competitive market schools and education result in highly trained people that are typically not replicated in the other states where WellPoint is present.

Mixed Bag

Project Manager (Former Employee) Thousand Oaks, CA

ProsThrived under good management
    Customer focused, ethical and diversified business
    Dedicated and experienced employees
    Fair benefits and compensation package

ConsSuffered under bad management
    Abusive, threatening and lacking work-life balance
    Non-existent professional development

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees like me care and work hard. We should not have to suffer the slings and slights every day that abusive managers like to dole out and we should be allowed to take time off to care for ourselves when we are ill especially. Overall, I would have stayed if this had been the case. Also would have been so much more motivated if the environment promoted respect, collaboration and opportunities for personal and professional development.

No room for advancement

Finance Director (Current Employee) Thousand Oaks, CA

ProsLarge company but limited opportunities since corporate moved over to Indianapolis. They have 3 office locations in so cal.

ConsLimited movement for opportunities. They have eliminated many positions and trying increase shareholder value. Limited focus on employee development.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook to develop your employees

Enjoyed my time there...good company

Learning Consultant Senior (Former Employee) Thousand Oaks, CA

ProsMany opportunities are available for associates

ConsMust live closer to corporate office to have better advancement opportunities

A caring, collegial atmosphere

Director (Current Employee) Thousand Oaks, CA

ProsFlexible working arrangements, managers that are considerate of their teams. Adequate technology to support requirements for work. easy travel policy, helpful expense filing.

ConsMany shared decision making processes. risk averse, very large organization which makes connecting to the right person difficult at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnhance entrepreneurial processes.

Worked for WellPoint? Contribute to the Community!