WellPoint Reviews in Thousand Oaks, CA

Updated August 14, 2014
Updated August 14, 2014
3.4

Joseph R. Swedish

Pros
  • I work from home which is very nice as I don't have to fight traffic every day (in 99 reviews)

• Good level of work/life balance, it's definitely a 9-5 environment (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • They demand a lot and do not take work/life balance into consideration very often (in 26 reviews)

• This forced an extremely strong and ethical senior management out of the company (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

21 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

It manager

Current Employee - IT Manager in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Thousand Oaks, CA

I have been working at WellPoint full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good salary base, work at home is a plus

Cons

Lots of re-org does not make an emoter feel safe

Na

Toe the line, play the game and you'll be ok.

Former Employee - Business Information Analyst in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Former Employee - Business Information Analyst in Thousand Oaks, CA

I worked at WellPoint full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A big company with lots of hiring opportunities all over the country. Good benefits and flexible work schedule. If you are lucky enough to have a good manager then you'll be happy.

Cons

The company is continuously evolving and transforming causing an out with the old, in with the new scenario. While always hiring, Wellpoint continues to lay people off. I've known people who had been with Wellpoint from the beginning only to be let go after the sale to Anthem was completed. I have seen quarterly reports posted to the wall showing sizable profits only to hear about layoffs in the following weeks because the profits were not as much as promised to the stock holders.

If you happen to have issues with your manager accept the fact that you have no recourse, legal or otherwise, but to go along with the program. The Human Resources department is there to support management and keep the company from getting sued. If you are let go you can never go back. They have very expensive legal council and
    cover all their bases.

Also, whatever salary you go in with you will be stuck with. Star performers received 4% merit/cost of living increases, 2-3% was the norm. The annual bonus is nice but is not given to those put on probation. If you are one of those who can become a drone and not let the verbal abuses and lack of professional attitude from your manager get to you then you can survive this place. If you're not this type of individual then save yourself the stress, sleepless nights and hypertension and look elsewhere.

Really it is pointless to advise management of anything because they think they know everything. What motivates them is the quarterly Wall Street report which shores up their bonuses and stock options. American corporations spend millions of dollars to hire the brightest and best people only to consummately try to pull the wool over their eyes after they are hired.

Lack of planning caused too many last minute rush jobs

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Thousand Oaks, CA

I have been working at WellPoint full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule/work from home options

Cons

Lack of planning caused too many last minute rush jobs in crucial enrollment period

Going downhill fast.

Current Employee - Senior Business Systems Analyst in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Business Systems Analyst in Thousand Oaks, CA

I have been working at WellPoint full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I work from home which is very nice as I don't have to fight traffic every day.
    The rank and file people I work with are knowledgable and friendly.

Cons

Senior Management has no clue about how things work.
    Senior Management likes to chase shiny objects and doesn't concentrate on the things that matter to a business.
    Benefits for the rank and file have been slowly chipped away.
    Medical, Pharmacy and Vision benefits are a joke. Seems like we should have the best insurance but the PPO plans are not affordable and the deductibles are outrageous. Senior Management should be ashamed of themselves.

Start treating the people that allow you to get your 8 figure salaries with the respect they deserve.
    Provide decent benefits and pay market rates.
    We used to get a holiday party, not anymore.
    We used to get a pension, not anymore.
    We used to get decent benefits, not anymore.
    We used to be respected, not anymore.

Saying one of your goals is to double the stock price in 5 years should NOT be a goal. If you take care of the fundamentals the stock will take care of itself.

Most important, LIVE YOUR VALUES! Right now the values that Anthem/WellPoint has are just words on paper. They don't seem to care about their employees or their members.

Could be a great company, if not for the dysfunction, disorganization waste of human and other capital.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Thousand Oaks, CA

I have been working at WellPoint full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Salary and benefits are relatively competitive. The work is interesting and challenging. I have a flexible work arrangement.

Cons

Wasteful - contracts are signed that commit payment to vendors, however the items on the contracts are never used. Company doesn't walk it's talk: it's not easy to do business within WellPoint, the processes are a mess, tons of layoffs mean a change in direction every three months, especially in IT which is a huge part of the organization.

Stop firing executives. Fix the processes. Invest in your employee development.

Developer I

Current Employee - Developer II in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Current Employee - Developer II in Thousand Oaks, CA

I have been working at WellPoint full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Well work life balance.
    Nice office location.

Cons

Too slow in process anything.

It was a good ride, while it lasted

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Thousand Oaks, CA

I worked at WellPoint full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Cash flow positive employer with good benefits

Cons

With the constant downsizing, the remaining staff are overworked. California employees are the step-children of the Ohio and Indiana team and are required to work many hours while the other states have work life balance

you pay for what you get. California employees do earn more due to cost of living, however the competitive market schools and education result in highly trained people that are typically not replicated in the other states where WellPoint is present.

Mixed Bag

Former Employee - Project Manager in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Thousand Oaks, CA

I worked at WellPoint full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Thrived under good management
    Customer focused, ethical and diversified business
    Dedicated and experienced employees
    Fair benefits and compensation package

Cons

Suffered under bad management
    Abusive, threatening and lacking work-life balance
    Non-existent professional development

Employees like me care and work hard. We should not have to suffer the slings and slights every day that abusive managers like to dole out and we should be allowed to take time off to care for ourselves when we are ill especially. Overall, I would have stayed if this had been the case. Also would have been so much more motivated if the environment promoted respect, collaboration and opportunities for personal and professional development.

No room for advancement

Current Employee - Finance Director in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Current Employee - Finance Director in Thousand Oaks, CA

I have been working at WellPoint full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Large company but limited opportunities since corporate moved over to Indianapolis. They have 3 office locations in so cal.

Cons

Limited movement for opportunities. They have eliminated many positions and trying increase shareholder value. Limited focus on employee development.

Look to develop your employees

Enjoyed my time there...good company

Former Employee - Learning Consultant Senior in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Former Employee - Learning Consultant Senior in Thousand Oaks, CA

I worked at WellPoint full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Many opportunities are available for associates

Cons

Must live closer to corporate office to have better advancement opportunities

WellPoint Photos