WellSpan Health

Updated October 27, 2014
2.6

WellSpan Health President Bruce M. Bartels
Bruce M. Bartels

Loved the job but, hated the office politics.

Current Employee - Registration Specialist in York, PA
    Current Employee - Registration Specialist in York, PA

I have been working at WellSpan Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The best insurance around. The benefits are the best.

Cons

Too much favoritism, if you're not in the click, you're not really part of the team. Salaries are not the best. Not much appreciation shown unless you're in the "click" Never have I had so much controversy with a group of co-workers in my life! The "go to people" who were in charge when the supervisor wasn't present were the worst, they talked about the other co-workers, was unfair and not professional at all. No respect was had. It was a joke. Thankless.

My advice....give the staff the ability to rate their supervisor in a confidential manner and really listen to the feedback and respond to it. If you receive a lot of complaints regarding a particular supervisor, then listen and take action. If a particular department has a huge turnover...there's a problem. PLEASE INVESTIGATE!!!!!!! A lot of people there are scared to speak out because of retaliation.

An excellent company that provides excellent health care services

Former Employee - Rehabilitation Technician in York, PA
    Former Employee - Rehabilitation Technician in York, PA

I worked at WellSpan Health full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Love the mission and philosophy that keeps this company thriving.

Cons

Co-workers can sometimes make the environment stressful, but that should be expected when you're working in a health care environment.

Keep up the great work!

Do not work here until Management changes

I have been working at WellSpan Health full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great Nurses and providers who provide amazing care! Overall good benefits for employees. The Emergency Department is receiving an overdue renovation.

Cons

This Health system is Top Heavy with very Incompetent Management. They are not experienced enough to run a health care system. We used to have shared decision making but now you are just told what to do with very little support.

This house of cards will start falling down unless you begin listening to your Providers and Nurses. It is shocking to see what has happened to Wellspan.

Incompetent management

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Ephrata, PA
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Ephrata, PA

I have been working at WellSpan Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great community. Co-workers are kind and hard working individuals but tend to get hired right out of school so they don't come with bad habits.

Cons

Failing equipment. incompetent management. Must be part of the "in crowd" to have your voice heard. Little room for career growth unless you kiss up to the right people.

Hire nurses who have experience. people in management positions should have ample experience in the area they manage. Med/surg should not be managed by a maternity nurse. Doctors and nurses should not be sleeping together in the hospital while on the clock.

Not very employee oriented

Current Employee - Nursing Assistant
    Current Employee - Nursing Assistant

I have been working at WellSpan Health full-time

Pros

Great benefits when it comes to health insurance

Cons

Because of the benefits your pay rate suffers, to the point where its hard to live off of. Being in a clinical position, the pay rate is not even REMOTELY close to what it should be for someone with the level of exposures we go through. Certain office positions which require no schooling get paid more than we do. Management when it comes to HR are very rude, almost like its a bother if you have an issue.

Get back to trying to help your employees. If you have happy employees you'll have happy customers. You cant sit there and pretend like you dont have the money to pay us all a little more.

Please don't apply here. Company is dishonest about compensation potential. Lower income than you can make elsewhere.

Current Employee - Physician in York, PA
    Current Employee - Physician in York, PA

I have been working at WellSpan Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits. Patients are great. Company is definitely having growing pains.

Cons

They advertise low physician turnover but that is simply not true. Very high turnover. Low morale. Lack of respect for physicians at every level from the office managers to nursing staff to administration. Poor leadership. Drastically changed compensation plan with 1 week notice.

Too many administrators. Recommend listening to your physicians and engage them in the changing healthcare environment rather than top down management. I have been very disappointed in my time here.

Terrible place to work with arrogant, overpaid senior leadership

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in York, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in York, PA

I worked at WellSpan Health full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Wellspan has a very good benefits package for its employees. It is affordable and gives plenty of options when selecting physicians.

Cons

Everything else! As part of leadership team for nearly two years, I saw corporate greed at its worst. Employees are treated unfairly and are grossly underpaid. Certain staff (techs) are generally seen as second-class citizens. Pressure is placed on leadership to meet unrealistic budget goals which can only be accomplished by cutting staff or purchasing cheap medical supplies that put patients at risk for infections. I made the worst career decision of my life by leaving another healthcare system to work for this joke of a company.

Leave! Wellspan will never be a quality employer, or company, until the majority of the leadership is gone. Everyone at the Vice President level and above should consider finding employment where their decisions can't negatively impact a patient. Too many decisions are made based solely on cost and not on the best interest of the patients. Leadership can find money to attend their annual retreat and for their quality forums which cost tens of thousands of dollars yet then decide to use new IV catheters that do not retract at an annual cost savings of $80K. This is crazy! How many employees will suffer from accidental needle sticks because you tried to cut a few dollars from the budget at, once again, your employees expense? Let the clinicians decide which products are best for the patients and safe for everyday use. Listen to your employees. Instead of doing a weekly newsletter telling employees what is going on, try asking them for their thoughts. Most are not as stupid as you tend to think. Most have the patients best interest in mind. Most would bend over backwards for the organization while senior leadership wouldn't do the same for them. Morale sucks at all your hospitals. Stop playing games. Stop citing policies to punish or terminate employees. Stop throwing employees under the bus for making a mistake. Stop encouraging managers to limit maximum pay raises for high performing employees. Stop telling employees how important they are and then mocking them in closed-door meetings. Stop the games. You have some really good people working for you. You have also had some very good people that you pushed out the door because they challenged your poor decision making. You owe it to York and Adams county to change your ways.

Lack of basic business management skills; frustrating place to work

Former Employee - Business Manager in York, PA
    Former Employee - Business Manager in York, PA

I worked at WellSpan Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are great. Access to and coverage of basic and specialty healthcare services is very good. Extras like free massages and accupuncture are great. Good matching for retirement accounts.

Cons

Everyone works 2-3 FTEs worth of responsibilities. As WellSpan continues to grow, the work to continues to pile on with no acknowledgement (much less compensation) that most managers are already stretched too thin. Demands for improved quality and volume of work are not accompanied by sound business planning or required resources. Many leaders in director and higher level positions seem to lack fundamental business skills, which leads me to believe that senior leadership doesn't get it either since they keep promoting these people.

Look to other industries for examples of innovative business practices and apply them at WellSpan. Healthcare isn't so special or unique that you can't tap into solutions that other industries developed a decade or two ago. If you hire someone from outside of the healthcare industry, give that person the benefit of the doubt that he/she might know a few tricks that you do not know. Stop burning out your most productive and innovative employees doubling up their responsibilities and shortening deadlines. Pick a small handful of important system-level objectives instead of dozens upon dozens with equal importance.

If you are an "outsider" be warned

I have been working at WellSpan Health

Pros

I really like the patient population. Kind polite people who are generally very easy to take care of.

Cons

Many people who work there have worked there their entire career and are very resistant to change and "newcomers"

Get some new blood in there! Pay more attention to your newer employees.

Meetings and micromanagement

Former Employee - Clinical nursing coordinator in York, PA
    Former Employee - Clinical nursing coordinator in York, PA

I worked at WellSpan Health full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Benefits and paid time off

Cons

Lower than average pay for the job and area, widespread micromanagement, over education with mandatory classes and way too many meetings

As a member of middle management upon hire I had no one to train me on my job duties. I figured them out by trial and error being chastised for not knowing them. When management was questioned on job duties they didnt know. Constant micromanagement and meetings. Mandatory classes were really great as they helped teach and exercise skills. Unfortunately with that there were a lot that were a waste of time. At the end I felt grossly underpaid for the amount of duties and wildly unsupported by management. The environment fostered a great deal of underhandedness and employees having to watch their own back.

WellSpan Health Photos