WellSpan Health
www.wellspan.org York, PA 5000+ Employees

WellSpan Health Reviews in York-Hanover, PA

Updated May 19, 2014
WellSpan Health – York – “York Hospital”

WellSpan Health President Bruce M. Bartels

Bruce M. Bartels

16 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Phenomenal Employer

6 Job Titles In 20 Years of Employment (Former Employee)
    York, PA

ProsWellSpan Health values its employees by offering competitive salaries, excellent benefits and a committment to work-life balance. When making decisions about its services, WellSpan Health considers the health care needs of the community, the current economic climate in health care in general and the welfare of its employees. It's never an easy juggling act, but WellSpan does an exceptional job!

ConsBecause WellSpan Health is such a fantastic employer, people tend to work for them for a long time. On occasion, this can lead some employees to avoid change and growth in favor of "the way we've always done things around here." This resistance to change can sometimes make WellSpan a challenging work environment when you have some employees who embrace change and others who dig in their heels and avoid change. Also, because employees do tend to stay with WellSpan for a long time (I worked there over 20 years), there is less opportunity for advancement that there would be in a company with a higher turnover rate.

Advice to Senior ManagementSometimes individuals can't see the broader picture or take a long-term view. They think only of how something will impact them now. I would encourage WellSpan Management to continue it's forward-thinking approach to the evolution of the services WellSpan provides. Employees may rail at the changes in the short-term, but when they realize that the decisions made are in the higher good of all concerned (community, employees, the fiscal welfare and viability of the organization), they will settle down, adapt, grow, and become better health care providers in the long run.

Horrible company that doesn't care about employees or patients

Nurse (Current Employee)
    York, PA

ProsHealth benefits that's it! Otherwise they suck

ConsI could write a book! I was employed for ten yrs, I had to take a leave due to health condition, I was told I was still an employee, but when I called hr to come back they sent me a letter of termination. I endured harassment and had to change positions. I could go on and on but this large company really doesn't care about their employees they only care about how much money they're raking in.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood luck ever getting a hold of someone in upper management! Hr people are rude and no one ever returns your calls

Huge company...small pay

Lab Tech (Former Employee)
    York, PA

ProsSome of the employees were sincere and friendly.

ConsMost of the employees are caddy back-stabbers. The pay did not meet the needs for what they expected from me. I was doing the work of a health information technology specialist, for which involves a 2-4 year college degree. I only had a diploma for medical billing; 9 months of school. They clearly were getting the work done for half the cost. An when mistakes are made, one gets dismissed.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe salary should weigh with the job duties, not the title.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nice to work for but in the last couple years a real downfall!!!

POCA (Former Employee)
    York, PA

ProsBenefits the hospital is the best part of Wellspan because the doctors are state if the art!! Doctors are the best part of Wellspan.

ConsManagement in medical group is poor and some of them very unprofessional in their appearance and their speech!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to evaluate the medical group management teams they look and act very unprofessional! When I started with Wellspan I choose the particular medical group for the fact that office manager was extremely professional in appearance and manner when she left you hired within and the office manager now her appearance is the laughing stock of the med group it was an embarrassment to us not only appearance but her choice of words leaves you in meetings thinking am I at a physicians office or in the inner city housing projects!

Expect to be unappreciated

RN (Former Employee)
    York, PA

ProsBenefits are comparable to other health care systems.

ConsUnderstaffed, supervisors are biased and play favorites with those they socialize with outside of work, no real recourse for legitimate complaints, suggestions for service improvement are ignored. It is all about the money, not the patient. Senior staff is replaced with inexperienced entry level (read lower paid) staff. Experience and knowledge is not important or valued. Errors are hidden and violations ignored.

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate your staff and value their knowledge, experience and initiative.

The benefits are good with this company. The merit increases are not good despite years of excellent reviews on eval.

Medical Group Float Staff (Current Employee)
    York, PA

ProsGood reputation through out the community. The insurance plan available to employees is great along with the other benefits provided.

ConsPay rate increase is not good. Continuous cuts of positions yet millions given to CEO.

I am finally home and amongst peers. Working as one!

York, PA

ProsI have worked for a handful of healthcare entities in the past and have found myself disappointed and somewhat jaded by my fellow workers in terms of professionalism and overall experience. When I joined Wellspan, I held my breath for months waiting for people to become unlikable or untrustworthy. I have been here for almost a year and I am proud to say just the opposite, nearly every healthcare worker I work with day to day is kind, compassionate, professional, dedicated to thier job. In a word, human. I feel I am with like people, and I do not feel like an outsider working here just because I care about my job. It is said that if everyone brings a dish to the table, we can all eat. I found a feast at Wellspan.

ConsI have a long commute, but it's worth it. If you have been here less than 5 years and work during the daytime, you must park a few blocks away and take a shuttle in. For the job, even that is worth it. I wish I was paid more for my level of responsibility, but I believe (for my particular accolades, YMMV) you are paid according to your credentials and not the demands of the job itself.

Good organization, terrible management

Applications Analyst (Former Employee)
    York, PA

Prosgood competitive salary and benefits

ConsDepartment managers and directors were awful, most not qualified to be in a managerial position.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow the employees to review their managers.

Great place to work

York, PA

ProsGreat benefits and pay, extremely strong company who respects it's employees

ConsAs with any company this size...politics

Advice to Senior Managementkeep doing what you're doing.

Staff RN

Staff RN (Former Employee)
    York, PA

Prosmajority of staff are skilled, compassionate, and passionate about what they do. vast opportunities for learning and growth

ConsSome management very unprofessional, reminiscent of a clique in high school.

Worked for WellSpan Health? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at WellSpan Health reviews and ratings in York-Hanover, PA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for WellSpan Health CEO Bruce M. Bartels. All 16 reviews posted anonymously by WellSpan Health employees.