Wellbridge

Updated Apr 2, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Ed Williams

Corporate Values don't reflect high customer experience

I have been working at Wellbridge

ProsFun group of people
great facility benefits

Conspoor compensation
budget constraints
felt under valued

Advice to Senior ManagementLook to employees as assets. Money is a means, not an end.

Cool place to work, not lot of hours though, good for college kids.

Front Desk (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Wellbridge part-time for more than 3 years

Prosthe people you get to meet

Conswhat you have to deal with for little pay

I worked as a Summer Camp Counselor the Bel Air, MD location for two summers.

Summer Camp Counselor (Current Employee)
Bel Air, MD

I have been working at Wellbridge full-time for more than a year

ProsMy superiors were great to work with and the job is great for students as the camp only operates in the summer months. Also, the hours are consistent and full-time.

ConsDue to the weather conditions in the summer months, the job can be difficult to manage as a large portion of the day is spent outside.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome of my peers were unprofessional so I would suggest closer monitoring of the counselors.

a great place to work

I worked at Wellbridge

Prosgreat people to work with. customer service oriented. Always looking to please the guests!

Consearly mornings were always a killer. hard to get overprivleged guests to adhere to policies

Advice to Senior ManagementTim Forrest was the best! Bring that guy back :)

Worked as the General Manager for one year

I worked at Wellbridge full-time

ProsThe people were fantastic. Everybody. The members were generally very pleasant and friendly. The staff were all consummate professionals, which is generally unheard of in the fitness industry. It was a joy to come to work. (unless corporate was in town)

ConsWellbridge is clustered in Colorado and New Mexico. All other locations operate in individual cities. Marketing strategies and dollars were spent and made sense for the clusters and made no sense for us. When I asked to do unique marketing that hadn't been done before I was always told no. My club operated on an island that corporate just didn't comprehend.

Spreadsheets. They have spreadsheets for spreadsheets sake. The sheer hours spent on spreadsheets is unconscionable. Meetings about the spreadsheets. Meetings to review the same information over and over. All time spent away from servicing customers.

Pay Structure. It was posed as a position with 20K in bonus potential. I hit in most departments well over 90% of the time and earned 6K. The bonus numbers they sell you and the ones that are attainable don't add up to real $

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out of the way and let people do their jobs.

Part Timer

Personal Trainer (Former Employee)
Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Wellbridge part-time for more than 5 years

ProsHours were flexible, and I could set my schedule enough to balance work & life

Management was approachable and professional

Working harder increased commission and pay

ConsPressure to sell is high, but no more so than any other personal training/sales job

VP of Sales

Sales (Former Employee)
Denver, CO

I worked at Wellbridge full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat team in the club

ConsPoor upper management, wage freeze for 5 years, low pay for work

Advice to Senior ManagementYour team is the most important, take care of them

Lack of Career Advancement

Sales Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at Wellbridge full-time for more than a year

ProsWorking in the fitness industry is always a perk - the company values health and wellness. You get to meet awesome members and clients on a daily basis. It is a decent place to start a sales career, if you have zero experience.

ConsThe compensation is extremely low and the opportunities for advancement are limited. The attrition rate was high, so as a sales staff we saw increased pressure to meet goals even though our resources were limited. We were often overtasked and overworked. If you are a good sales rep, you can make much more money at a different company.

Often, management would ask us to work long hours or stay at work until 8 pm at night just to have the illusion of facetime. We were micromanaged and there was very litle autonomy. I never really felt like the compnay cared about my development or my work life balance.

Gag

I worked at Wellbridge

ProsDecent facilities, fun customers (members). If you're lucky, you can hide from the regional idiots.

ConsArrogant, ego-driven, paranoid, and oh yes, mediocre talent at the top. Shameful treatment of key staff. At one time, very long ago, this company may have cared about members and staff. Not now.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou've burned through immense talent at all levels. Your software is ridiculous; the 'contacts' from sales staff are set so high (and appointments, Mandatory! six each day, are not realistic. So everyone lies. Everyone. Pitiful.

Poor Pay, Poor Management, and Repeated Reminders of How Expendable We Are

I have been working at Wellbridge part-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat co-workers, fairly good members, decent sales staff. great trainers, free membership, used to have flexible hours. The Children's Services staff are amazing and the Front Desk is awesome at bearing the brunt of others' mistakes and fielding general complaints. House-keeping staff is incredible. And pretty funny.

ConsI have worked here for over ten years and I have only received a raise once, back in 2005. I currently make significantly less than new employees for the same position because the starting rate is now higher. How are reliable employees with experience less valuable than new employees? Upper management does not know how to work with employees: we receive consistent berating without ever receiving any positive reinforcment. Moral is at an all-time low.Turnover is also very high. The front desk department has a new staff every three months. Front desk is not allowed to work any less than 15 hours a week or they are told they must pick up more hours or "find an end date to [their] employment at the club," regardless of years of service. In the past 8 years, we have had 6 general managers, all with different visions for the club, meaning that the employees have to bend to meet that vision. Hard to do every year. Members are constantly wondering who the current general manager is. Employees are also "flagged" if they go into overtime and are fired if they go into overtime more than twice. But we are also expected to work close to full time if we have the hopes of keeping our jobs, so it is fairly oxymoronic. We are constantly reminded how expendable we are, so it is clear how little (if at all) we are valued. Member events have increased, which is great for the club community, but they are poorly run and employees are expected (or directed) to work these additional events. I do NOT feel respected by management at my club. The only hope we have of ever seeing a raise is when minimum wage is raised in 2015.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut yourself in your employees shoes. They are the front lines of the club and should be treated with the respect that comes with that postion. And use civility when speaking to your staff. Understand that having an established, experience staff and fostering a community of respect is the greatest tool at your disposal and you consciously choose not to.

Worked for Wellbridge? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Wellbridge reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Wellbridge CEO Ed Williams. All 24 reviews posted anonymously by Wellbridge employees.