Wellesley College

Updated October 26, 2014
3.2

CEO

Student & Employee

I worked at Wellesley College part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay for students was really fair! I also learned a lot about the bureaucracy of the College and the hours are flexible enough if you plan ahead.

Cons

Disagreeing with the administration's decisions or opinions (especially if they were your boss or boss's boss) while working in the administrative offices was difficult.

Listen to your students! Also, a lot of offices are undergoing internal conflicts that will make it harder for them to adequately serve their students, so that should be a number one priority.

Ship is sinking

I have been working at Wellesley College full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good Benefits, Flexible hours, Sick and Vacation days are numerous, Beautiful Campus, Free Parking.

Cons

The current IT environment is in bad shape. Exodus of good employees ongoing. Poor Management. CIO out of touch with staff.

Not all the recent changes are bad, but they have been too many and too fast with little regard for workload. Management has lost the personal connection to the employees and it shows.

Does not value management

I worked at Wellesley College

Pros

Students, faculty, and alumnae are amazing. Smart, caring, generous.

Cons

Leadership is completely out of touch with staff. Massive budget cuts are taking place while senior administration is getting expensive perks (think multimillion dollar homes custom built for them, commuting costs from NYC and back for an employee who lives in NYC but works full time in Wellesley, etc.) and hiring of expensive consultants for everything from fundraising to NYC based design firms (guess there are no good firms in Boston). Board knows, college president knows....nothing changes. Massive turnover throughout staff -- IT especially, but not limited there. Morale is at an all-time low.

Has been a good experience that has allowed me to build new skills that will will hopefully lead me to the next level.

I have been working at Wellesley College full-time

Pros

The location of the school is great and they are right up the road from commuter rail so commuting from the city would be easy. Free parking on camps and plenty of places to eat on site. Beautiful campus setting that has plenty of places to walk during the day. Great benefits package for full time/half time employees.

Cons

Has not been able to recover from market crash and continues to have to keep a tight rein on the budgets. Has been a lot of turn over as a result.

Beautiful place to work.

I worked at Wellesley College full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Collegial staff, good work-life balance

Cons

Communication within department is lacking.

More transparency and organization.

Mixed

I have been working at Wellesley College (more than an year)

Pros

Beautiful Environment, top notch college, bright staff and students, opportunity to make a difference.

Cons

Silo environment, high turnover currently, very poor on boarding process for new hires once hiring is permitted (positions stay open for a long while)

Be more in touch with the morale of the staff; look at long term and broad impact of decisions rather than the short term.

Wonderful!

I have been working at Wellesley College

Pros

Great work environment and supportive co staff.

Cons

Nothing! I loved it all.

Amazing female powered organization

I worked at Wellesley College part-time

Pros

Working in this all female environment is empowering, engaging, and fun! Everyone is very helpful and wants to help you succeed in whatever you are doing. It's a pretty laid back atmosphere, but you know important work is being done there.

Cons

None for me except maybe traveling to get there since it outside of Boston, it isn't as appealing to potential visitors as it might be if it were located in the city.

Very low morale. Huge gap between the have's and have not's

I have been working at Wellesley College full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

hmm. There are decent health benefits. Vacation benefits.

For some, there are great "work from home" benefits. If you are not one of those people you go into the office every day and it builds resentment when you don't see people for literally months at a time. To the point where you forget that they "work" at all. There's little indication or proof that they do anything.

Cons

No advancement. Little support. Very low pay. Little trust or belief in the "higher-ups." Because of all this, there seems to be very low morale. I have worked around people who have worked at Wellesley and left for other jobs. Typical comments from them are "It used to be nice working here. I used to enjoy coming to work, but it hasn't been like that in five years." and after they have left "I don't miss it there at all. I should have left a few years ago."

Offer more support for people who would like to learn and grow in their careers. More training or mentorships. Maybe give raises every now and then.

It used to be a nice place to work.

I have been working at Wellesley College full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The campus is a very beautiful place to be. The staff, faculty, and students are all wonderful people and make the work more meaningful each day.

Cons

Unfortunately, financial cutbacks are once taking a toll on administrative staff. There are going to be fewer staff to do the same (if not more) work. The stress levels have already increased.

Wellesley College Photos