Wellesley College

3.4

CEO

Great Experience as a Student Employee

I worked at Wellesley College part-time

Pros

I worked at the art library during my time here as a student. It was great! The sense of community was wonderful. The work environment was very supportive - our supervisors were friendly, the work hours were flexible, and all the students would help each other as needed. I gained valuable work experience and was glad to get to know the people I worked with over the years.

Cons

It may take some time to find a job to start out with during your first year. The best thing to do is get out there and talk to people about the different opportunities available to learn about jobs you might want. I think the only option is part-time for student workers, but I wouldn't recommend working full-time as course workloads increase.

Exciting, Supportive work environment

I have been working at Wellesley College

Pros

Great team dynamic, flexible work environment, leadership growth, strong impact on people's lives

Cons

Very few challenges here. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time.

Great place to work

Very positive experience; gained many core skills and confidence.

Former Employee - Library and Technology Services (RIS) Student Consultant in Wellesley, MA

I worked at Wellesley College

Pros

Overall positive experience. It was a fun place to work and I miss it. The library staff are incredibly friendly, helpful, and show that they actually care. There were many opportunities for training and promotion and I really felt I gained an immense amount of skills and confidence. There was always a collaborate and team-oriented feel to working. I enjoyed my job, which can't be said of many places.

Cons

More interaction between students and staff would help a great deal. When first starting as a new hire, it can be difficult to speak up and ask for help if not comfortable with those working around you on the same shift.

Keep the great work culture growing and ask and listen to students' feedback because student employees are on the front lines in terms of providing desk service. Make sure they are welcome to talk with staff and are appreciated as more than just worker bees.

Incredible school, but difficult for administrative staff

I have been working at Wellesley College

Pros

amazing faculty, great students, beautiful campus

Cons

low salary (for administrative staff), little room for advancement (for administrative staff), cumbersome processes to move initiatives forward, elusive decision-making processes

Student Worker

I have been working at Wellesley College

Pros

The staff are great and supportive.

Cons

Sometimes finding open positions could be a bit difficult. That is, unless you you knew a classmate that worked in the office.

Good starting point for career

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wellesley, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wellesley, MA

I worked at Wellesley College full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits. Lots of time off available (although you might not be allowed to take it). Beautiful campus. Lots of support for additional training and learning new skillsets.

Cons

Bureaucratic and stagnant to a ridiculous degree. Management does not listen to complaints and gives little support -- as a result morale is very low. Compensation (other than benefits) is also lower than the market. Opportunities for advancement are limited unless you can switch departments. Most talented staff seem to leave within a few years for better positions elsewhere and take a long time to be replaced.

Give more freedom and leeway for staff to try new ideas. Less micromanagement would also be extremely helpful. Freedom to work from home needs to be increased. Staff need to be motivated via opportunities and compensation rather than just expected to continue taking on additional work.

Difficult work environment, great benefits

Current Employee - Administration in Wellesley, MA
    Current Employee - Administration in Wellesley, MA

I have been working at Wellesley College full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great school and academic community, beautiful campus. Good benefits and overall quality of life. Best if you work in a smaller, somewhat independent department. Wonderful cultural opportunities, like lectures, art exhibits, music and theater performances.

Cons

Very silo-ed and hierarchical administrative structure. Low salary scale. It's a little out of the way, and getting there via mass transit is very difficult, so you need a car.

Work on internal communication and get competitive with salaries.

Incompetence is rewarded

I worked at Wellesley College full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

beautiful campus, smart students, dedicated faculty, good benefits, pay is competitive

Cons

many, many staff are promoted beyond their abilities -- think part-time administrative assistant to director in 18 months due not to ability, but to massive turnover and long-term vacancies. the inability to maintain good employees (who often leave for lesser money at other organizations) contributes to the severely low morale on campus. lots of bad PR this fall have lead to a community in crisis.

bring in outside consultant to right-size the staff, properly evaluate individuals' effectiveness, and root out nepotism and favoritism

Ship is sinking

I have been working at Wellesley College full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good Benefits, Flexible hours, Sick and Vacation days are numerous, Beautiful Campus, Free Parking.

Cons

The current IT environment is in bad shape. Exodus of good employees ongoing. Poor Management. CIO out of touch with staff.

Not all the recent changes are bad, but they have been too many and too fast with little regard for workload. Management has lost the personal connection to the employees and it shows.

Has been a good experience that has allowed me to build new skills that will will hopefully lead me to the next level.

I have been working at Wellesley College full-time

Pros

The location of the school is great and they are right up the road from commuter rail so commuting from the city would be easy. Free parking on camps and plenty of places to eat on site. Beautiful campus setting that has plenty of places to walk during the day. Great benefits package for full time/half time employees.

Cons

Has not been able to recover from market crash and continues to have to keep a tight rein on the budgets. Has been a lot of turn over as a result.

Wellesley College Photos