Wellesley College
www.wellesley.edu Wellesley, MA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Wellesley College Reviews

Updated Apr 30, 2014
Wellesley College – US – “sunset over Lake Waban”

Wonderful!

ProsGreat work environment and supportive co staff.

ConsNothing! I loved it all.

Amazing female powered organization

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWorking in this all female environment is empowering, engaging, and fun! Everyone is very helpful and wants to help you succeed in whatever you are doing. It's a pretty laid back atmosphere, but you know important work is being done there.

ConsNone for me except maybe traveling to get there since it outside of Boston, it isn't as appealing to potential visitors as it might be if it were located in the city.

Very low morale. Huge gap between the have's and have not's

Proshmm. There are decent health benefits. Vacation benefits.

For some, there are great "work from home" benefits. If you are not one of those people you go into the office every day and it builds resentment when you don't see people for literally months at a time. To the point where you forget that they "work" at all. There's little indication or proof that they do anything.

ConsNo advancement. Little support. Very low pay. Little trust or belief in the "higher-ups." Because of all this, there seems to be very low morale. I have worked around people who have worked at Wellesley and left for other jobs. Typical comments from them are "It used to be nice working here. I used to enjoy coming to work, but it hasn't been like that in five years." and after they have left "I don't miss it there at all. I should have left a few years ago."

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer more support for people who would like to learn and grow in their careers. More training or mentorships. Maybe give raises every now and then.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It used to be a nice place to work.

ProsThe campus is a very beautiful place to be. The staff, faculty, and students are all wonderful people and make the work more meaningful each day.

ConsUnfortunately, financial cutbacks are once taking a toll on administrative staff. There are going to be fewer staff to do the same (if not more) work. The stress levels have already increased.

Great place to work

Visiting Lecturer (Former Employee)
    Wellesley, MA

ProsExcellent salary and benefits, even for part-time lecturers (3-5 classes per semester). Strong students. Friendly, inclusive atmosphere.

ConsStudents can be a bit entitled at time (demand extra office hours, practice problems, etc.).

Working in a campus lab

Research Assistant (Current Employee)
    Wellesley, MA

ProsHousing is included, good community, fun environment, there is a nurturing learning experience, you grow closer with professors and colleagues.

ConsIf you live on campus without a car, it is difficult to go anywhere, including the grocery store if you need to provide your own food. While living on campus there is very little social interaction outside of work. Often, employers think that you will work outside of your normal hours because you live on campus.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeparate work from home life for students. Don't expect your employees to leave for the day and go home to work from their rooms.

Great place to work

Student Worker (Current Employee)
    Wellesley, MA

ProsFlexible schedules, good atmosphere, understanding supervisors

ConsSometimes there are too few hours

Incredible work environment! Wonderful people!

Student Assistant (Former Employee)
    Wellesley, MA

ProsAs a student worker, I loved getting to work at Wellesley. Faculty and staff are always a pleasure to work with, and drama is generally kept to a minimum. Faculty/staff were always understanding if something important comes up, or if you're sick and unable to work. I always felt as though everyone was looking out for me.

ConsThe one con I have, is that in trying to set up my direct deposit, there was an incompetent woman in the HR dept. who took weeks to set it up for me!

Great place to work while you are a student there!

Student Assistant (Former Employee)
    Wellesley, MA

ProsWellesley is full of nice and compassionate employees. I felt valued and like I made a difference, even though I was a student and only worked part-time.

ConsThere aren't too many downsides that I can think of. The pay is not amazing, but when you are a student it is not a bad option.

Like the flexible hours for students, dislike the low wages

IS Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsExtremely flexible schedule, pretty good supervisors, fairly relaxed environment, convenient location, mostly friendly coworkers, beautiful building to work in, not a high pressure job

ConsLow wages that are really stagnant, menial labor gets repetitive and doesn't really require technical skills, not really any opportunity for advancement

Worked for Wellesley College? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Wellesley College reviews and ratings. All 17 reviews posted anonymously by Wellesley College employees.