Wellesley College Reviews

CEO

1. Great Way to Get Laboratory Experience While In School

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Wellesley, MA
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Wellesley, MA

I worked at Wellesley College (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of attention & guidance from your PI, Great experiences learning the ropes, Trusted w a lot of responsibility bc there are very few post-docs

Cons

No cons that I can think of

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

2. Flexible and friendly

I have been working at Wellesley College full-time

Pros

Flexible schedule, with telecommuting (1 day a week) and flex time in the summers (4 day workweek with 30 min lunch).
    Friendly and knowledgeable team. More women than you usually see in development!
    Good health insurance, retirement package, vacation/personal/sick time, and other perks like free on-campus physical therapy and fitness classes.

Cons

Like any higher ed job, this pays less than the industry average. Wellesley tries to stay competitive with the other prestigious liberal arts colleges, though.
    Things are starting to get more modern, but until recently, they used a lot of older or highly customized technology.
    Not the highest morale among employees, people generally seemed stressed, but people are still able to unplug and be with their families at home and are very rarely required to work overtime.

Advice to Management

Not enough collaboration across teams/departments

3. Student Tutor

I worked at Wellesley College part-time

Pros

Each week, student tutors are required to be available to work for at least 5 hours, which is easily balanced with a full workload during the school year. Tutors may choose when they hold their private tutoring sessions, help room, etc, which makes working hours very flexible.

Cons

This is not directly related to working at Wellesley, but more about the position of student tutor. Training sessions for tutors seemed very pointless, as most of the information given was common sense. More instruction should be given on how to use Tutortrac.

Advice to Management

Students tutors should be taught how to mass sign-in students into TutorTrac, as is it tedious to log-in students one by one when many students come to help room. At tutor training, tutors are given a thick binder full of information that is almost never looked at by tutors. Instead of taking the time to print out and put together dozens of copies of the tutoring manual, management could save time and paper by simply making it available online.

5. Library Workers

I have been working at Wellesley College part-time

Pros

good balance to school work, not stressful

Cons

Pay still seems very low for the amount of training and know how they expect us to have

Advice to Management

Pay your student workers more

6. Unfortunately, a sinking ship

I worked at Wellesley College full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, generous vacation and sick time, beautiful campus, lots of cultural/academic events made available to staff

Cons

Poor morale, very high turnover over the past few years, few opportunities for career advancement for young professionals, hard work isn't always acknowledged

Advice to Management

As a starting point, acknowledge that morale amongst administrative staff is very poor. Pretending that the issue doesn't exist just lowers morale even more!

7. Great place to build your career

Current Employee - Info Tech
    Current Employee - Info Tech

I have been working at Wellesley College

Pros

Generally a great place to work with a lot of like-minded people. There is ample opportunity to be involved in academic related events. The summer months are a great time to be at Wellesley.

Cons

Competitive salary and senior management's inability to take into account staff needs and ideas.

Advice to Management

Better evaluation of technological needs, technology is not a "one size fits all" model. Simply because something works at another institution does not mean it should automatically be adopted at Wellesley.

Great potential, but an overall disappointment

I have been working at Wellesley College

Pros

Interesting and dynamic work environment. Great co-workers.

Cons

Real decision making power is only in the hands of a few.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees.

9. Great Experience as a Student Employee

I worked at Wellesley College part-time

Pros

I worked at the art library during my time here as a student. It was great! The sense of community was wonderful. The work environment was very supportive - our supervisors were friendly, the work hours were flexible, and all the students would help each other as needed. I gained valuable work experience and was glad to get to know the people I worked with over the years.

Cons

It may take some time to find a job to start out with during your first year. The best thing to do is get out there and talk to people about the different opportunities available to learn about jobs you might want. I think the only option is part-time for student workers, but I wouldn't recommend working full-time as course workloads increase.

10. Exciting, Supportive work environment

Current Employee - Student Assistant
    Current Employee - Student Assistant

I have been working at Wellesley College

Pros

Great team dynamic, flexible work environment, leadership growth, strong impact on people's lives

Cons

Very few challenges here. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time.

Advice to Management

Great place to work

11. Very positive experience; gained many core skills and confidence.

Former Employee - Library and Technology Services (RIS) Student Consultant in Wellesley, MA

I worked at Wellesley College

Pros

Overall positive experience. It was a fun place to work and I miss it. The library staff are incredibly friendly, helpful, and show that they actually care. There were many opportunities for training and promotion and I really felt I gained an immense amount of skills and confidence. There was always a collaborate and team-oriented feel to working. I enjoyed my job, which can't be said of many places.

Cons

More interaction between students and staff would help a great deal. When first starting as a new hire, it can be difficult to speak up and ask for help if not comfortable with those working around you on the same shift.

Advice to Management

Keep the great work culture growing and ask and listen to students' feedback because student employees are on the front lines in terms of providing desk service. Make sure they are welcome to talk with staff and are appreciated as more than just worker bees.

RSS Feed </> Embed