Wellesley College

Updated November 11, 2014
3.1

CEO

Student & Employee

I worked at Wellesley College part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay for students was really fair! I also learned a lot about the bureaucracy of the College and the hours are flexible enough if you plan ahead.

Cons

Disagreeing with the administration's decisions or opinions (especially if they were your boss or boss's boss) while working in the administrative offices was difficult.

Listen to your students! Also, a lot of offices are undergoing internal conflicts that will make it harder for them to adequately serve their students, so that should be a number one priority.

Difficult work environment, great benefits

Current Employee - Administration in Wellesley, MA
    Current Employee - Administration in Wellesley, MA

I have been working at Wellesley College full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great school and academic community, beautiful campus. Good benefits and overall quality of life. Best if you work in a smaller, somewhat independent department. Wonderful cultural opportunities, like lectures, art exhibits, music and theater performances.

Cons

Very silo-ed and hierarchical administrative structure. Low salary scale. It's a little out of the way, and getting there via mass transit is very difficult, so you need a car.

Work on internal communication and get competitive with salaries.

Incompetence is rewarded

I worked at Wellesley College full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

beautiful campus, smart students, dedicated faculty, good benefits, pay is competitive

Cons

many, many staff are promoted beyond their abilities -- think part-time administrative assistant to director in 18 months due not to ability, but to massive turnover and long-term vacancies. the inability to maintain good employees (who often leave for lesser money at other organizations) contributes to the severely low morale on campus. lots of bad PR this fall have lead to a community in crisis.

bring in outside consultant to right-size the staff, properly evaluate individuals' effectiveness, and root out nepotism and favoritism

Ship is sinking

I have been working at Wellesley College full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good Benefits, Flexible hours, Sick and Vacation days are numerous, Beautiful Campus, Free Parking.

Cons

The current IT environment is in bad shape. Exodus of good employees ongoing. Poor Management. CIO out of touch with staff.

Not all the recent changes are bad, but they have been too many and too fast with little regard for workload. Management has lost the personal connection to the employees and it shows.

Has been a good experience that has allowed me to build new skills that will will hopefully lead me to the next level.

I have been working at Wellesley College full-time

Pros

The location of the school is great and they are right up the road from commuter rail so commuting from the city would be easy. Free parking on camps and plenty of places to eat on site. Beautiful campus setting that has plenty of places to walk during the day. Great benefits package for full time/half time employees.

Cons

Has not been able to recover from market crash and continues to have to keep a tight rein on the budgets. Has been a lot of turn over as a result.

Beautiful place to work.

I worked at Wellesley College full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Collegial staff, good work-life balance

Cons

Communication within department is lacking.

More transparency and organization.

Mixed

I have been working at Wellesley College (more than an year)

Pros

Beautiful Environment, top notch college, bright staff and students, opportunity to make a difference.

Cons

Silo environment, high turnover currently, very poor on boarding process for new hires once hiring is permitted (positions stay open for a long while)

Be more in touch with the morale of the staff; look at long term and broad impact of decisions rather than the short term.

Wonderful!

I have been working at Wellesley College

Pros

Great work environment and supportive co staff.

Cons

Nothing! I loved it all.

Amazing female powered organization

I worked at Wellesley College part-time

Pros

Working in this all female environment is empowering, engaging, and fun! Everyone is very helpful and wants to help you succeed in whatever you are doing. It's a pretty laid back atmosphere, but you know important work is being done there.

Cons

None for me except maybe traveling to get there since it outside of Boston, it isn't as appealing to potential visitors as it might be if it were located in the city.

Very low morale. Huge gap between the have's and have not's

I have been working at Wellesley College full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

hmm. There are decent health benefits. Vacation benefits.

For some, there are great "work from home" benefits. If you are not one of those people you go into the office every day and it builds resentment when you don't see people for literally months at a time. To the point where you forget that they "work" at all. There's little indication or proof that they do anything.

Cons

No advancement. Little support. Very low pay. Little trust or belief in the "higher-ups." Because of all this, there seems to be very low morale. I have worked around people who have worked at Wellesley and left for other jobs. Typical comments from them are "It used to be nice working here. I used to enjoy coming to work, but it hasn't been like that in five years." and after they have left "I don't miss it there at all. I should have left a few years ago."

Offer more support for people who would like to learn and grow in their careers. More training or mentorships. Maybe give raises every now and then.

Wellesley College Photos