Wellington Management
www.wellington.com Boston, MA 500 to 999 Employees

Wellington Management Reviews

Updated Apr 11, 2014
Wellington Management – Boston – “Lobby of the Boston HQ”

Wellington Management President, CEO, and Managing Partner Perry Traquina

Perry Traquina

Pros:
  • "genuine acceptance and encouragement of work/life balance from management; pre-2008 benefits plan"
    in 6 reviews
  • "great benefits, nice new offices, mostly friendly colleagues"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "long hours, tough work/life balance"
    in 8 reviews
  • "The concept of a work/life balance seems foreign to IT management"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Very talented, capable, hardworking people around and consensus and collaborative approach for meeting client goals

I worked at Wellington Management full-time

ProsVery fast paced and collaborative environment
There is never a dull moment
Some flexibility is offered but mostly need to be in the office
Always surrounded by smart and talented people

ConsSometimes collaborative approach slows things down
Growth is limited
As company has grown, new people finding difficult to assimilate with culture
More corporate culture is kicking in which was never there before

Great company

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at Wellington Management full-time for more than 3 years

ProsManagement is interested in developing their employees
Lots of great perks

ConsPromotions are promised then given to others as favoritism.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon' t make promises that you cannot keep. It creates a hostile work environment.

A diverse and amicable culture

I have been working at Wellington Management full-time

ProsEveryone is very easily accessible and there is a lot of horizontal movement within the firm as well as vertical.

ConsThe compensation could be higher

no quality wotk

I worked at Wellington Management

ProsIt is ok. no work most of the time

Consthey can fire you canytime without notice even if you go on planned vacations like marriage or sick, No heart at all...

It's a Meat Grinder

Keeps Changing (Current Employee)
Marlborough, MA

I have been working at Wellington Management as a contractor for less than a year

ProsExposure to many technologies, good place to build on your resume, if you can stand it.

ConsThey have adopted a model of filling out the workforce with "consultants" and few actual full time employees. Most likely this is done because it's cheaper, the company saves on not having to provide benefits of any kind. The basically creates a cast system, consultants are expendable; there is consistent turnover that never allows for a team environment to fully develop. They work you to death. Sick? work from home, snowstorm? work from home. Child needs an appointment? when can you log on later? They provide only what they have to, chairs seems to have been purchased from one of those stores that specialize in selling furniture from companies that go out of business. It's a lot like how the armies of World War 1 approached trench warfare, just through bodies at the problem, there's plenty to go around.

They also most likely have deals with the various recruiters to keep salaries of the consultants low to yet save more money. If your an employee however, your golden. Yearly bonuses, great 401K and a big party at the end of the year. That is, if you can stand being abused for 5 or 6 six years until you are blessed with permanent employment. There is a credo that they love to promote: "Client, Firm, Self". In actuality, it's "Firm, Firm, Firm". I would not recommend working here to anyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire people, provide some consistency to the people you claim or the most important. Your an investment firm, make an investment in people for once.

Good in Certain Areas... for now.

I have been working at Wellington Management full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPeople are generally very smart and equally nice
pay is good
office space is very nice
firm is a great line on your resume
culture is strong

ConsNow they get an army of temps/consultants to do a lot of work by saying they'll eventually get the chance to be a full time employee. Unfortnately, many are still temps after several years.

The big firmwide message going forward is "do more with less" so you're often doing work of 2 or 3 people with no sign of help on the horizon.

The firm image from the outside is slowly turning into "Oh yeah, I heard it USED to be good to work there." Unfortunately, there's also a slow but growing stream of people starting to leave the firm. This is often because they're told to take on more work with no pay/title increase.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou can only push expansion so far before you overwork people. Judging by current employee sentiment, you're pushing up to that limit.

Stop hiring so many temp/consultants just to save money - it's ruining the Wellington culture / reputation. The firm is very ambitious and makes a lot of money so there's no reason not to hire some good full time people for the future. Give the good temps and consultants full time roles - they work just as hard as everyone else and deserve more than an hourly wage. It'll be good for the company morale and growth.

Data Analyst

Data Analyst () (Former Employee)
Boston, MA

I worked at Wellington Management as a contractor for more than a year

ProsTeam work environment, smart and articulate management, opportunities for growth, open door policy to speak with not only your team members, but also members of other teams and management

ConsCulture can be a shock to many. The suit and tie on an every day basis can make a dent on many new college grad employees. Lack of training for the role you'll be working on

Advice to Senior ManagementAdequate training structure based on the needs of the team or internal clients

great place to work

I have been working at Wellington Management

Prosgreat place to work - awesome culture and people

Conslong hours, tough work/life balance

Fantastic work environment. Great people, flat company, true meritocracy.

I have been working at Wellington Management full-time

ProsMany opportunities for learning and development.

ConsMust have a few years of experience prior to joining firm (typically).

Losing its way?

I worked at Wellington Management full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFabulously profitable company so great if you are a Partner (3-4% of employees) - average to below otherwise. Nice offices.

ConsSlow moving organization with few opportunities for development and advancement, especially for younger professionals, who are typically incredibly overqualified for their jobs.Increasingly siloed and political (like most big companies).

Advice to Senior ManagementWalk the walk. The doublespeak stifled open idea sharing and created a sense of insiders and outsiders.

Worked for Wellington Management? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Wellington Management reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Wellington Management CEO Perry Traquina. All 75 reviews posted anonymously by Wellington Management employees.