Wellmark

Wellmark Reviews

Updated Apr 10, 2014

John D. Forsyth

I enjoyed it, but 4 years later, there wasn't much progression

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Wellmark full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWonderful employee health program. Focus on wellness and excellent gym.

ConsResistant to change in some departments. Relied too heavily on the opinions of others who had been there for years and years, even if they were outdated. No upward mobility.

It was okay

Medical Claims Examiner/Processor II (Former Employee)

I worked at Wellmark full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFlexible schedule, opportunity to get experience with data entry, management was nice.

ConsNot paid that great
Drama, drama, drama
Cliques were formed and it fed into my drama complaint.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more aware of what goes on with people, being talked about behind someone's back is unprofessional. ESPECIALLY when it happens in the place of work. At least keep the issues at home.

I love working here!

Health and Care Management (Current Employee)

I have been working at Wellmark full-time for more than a year

ProsWellmark truly values its members. Every decision we make is based on the best way we can serve the member, in terms of utilizing the benefits the specific member has and alternatives that can be made. They also value their employees. Two great benefits include a contribution from the foundation to up to 5 non-profits of your choice in Iowa or South Dakota based on volunteer hours. 240 volunteer hours per year = $10000 contribution. There is also a $10000/year educational benefit that you can take advantage of as soon as you start. There is a big focus on happy, healthy engaged employees to help serve their community at large.

ConsJust when you think you have a policy down, it will change. Then the process will change. I think that is the "nature of the beast" when you are employed at any insurance company. Sometimes we have to make difficult decisions based on coverage.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management is very accessible; in fact you can often find the CEO eating breakfast in the cafeteria if he is in town, and welcomes anyone to come talk to him. Continue to be accessible with an open-door policy.

Great place to work

I have been working at Wellmark

ProsPositive environment, employee focused culture

ConsDemanding day-to-day work and challenging technical environment

Great company in most aspects

Technical Writer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Wellmark full-time for more than a year

ProsTuition reimbursement, friendly people, benefits and comfortable environment.

ConsPay starts at low-ball level until negotiated. Can't work from home. Management is very last minute with announcements. Cheap with budgets.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be great to let employees know things in the works rather than using last minute meetings. Cost savings is pushed too much when the company is well off.

It's a place to actually feel valued as an employee

Marketing/Communications (Current Employee)
Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Wellmark full-time

ProsGREAT facilities located in Downtown Des Moines - Supportive team leaders - An obvious commitment to innovation - Dedicated to Members

ConsOccasionally challenging deadlines (but that's everywhere) - An industry that's going through an unprecedented change, which can sometimes result in confusion

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to be open and accessible to employees on all levels.

Wellmark is the most humanistic company I've ever worked for.

Systems Administrator (Current Employee)

I have been working at Wellmark full-time for more than 5 years

ProsWorking at Wellmark can be rewarding if you want to be a part of a team of people who care about the work they do, and care about how their own personal health choices matter for their community and the industry.

ConsWellmark has a lot of fluctuation of their workforce. Due to government-mandated changes in the health insurance field there's a lot of uncertainty and change, which means a lot of temporary contract workers. That results in some instability in the employee culture.

Best company I have ever worked for -- Wellmark really cares about it's people

Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Wellmark full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe environment is very health focused, respectful and inclusive. The Des Moines offices are environmentally lean and green; offer an awesome fitness facility and health focused cafe. The benefit package is unparelleled - the tuition reimbursement program is best in class. WIth a commitment to learning, inclusion and innovation, it is an incredible place for opportunity.

ConsThe insurance industry is complex. With health care reform upon us, it has become even more of a challenge to educate customers and consumers about the changes. This isn't a bad thing -- just a reality that all insurance carriers are dealing with.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to invest your people!!

Recent shift from focusing on members to a highly negative culture that no longer recognizes and celebrates the good.

Middle Management (Current Employee)

I have been working at Wellmark full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBeautiful building and amenities. Great cafeteria.
Good location and parking
Education reimbursement is a helpful development mechanism.

ConsWeak leadership and communication
Negative work environment
Lacking execution against strategic objectives and constantly changing without communication

TERRIBLE experience!!!!!! Would NOT recommend to anyone!!!!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Des Moines, IA

I worked at Wellmark full-time for more than a year

ProsFriendly staff if you are in ''the click''. If you aren't, then you are SOL. Other pros? Free gym & parking garage parking, & benefits, that's about it. Oh ya, pretty building.

ConsThe hiring process is a complete JOKE. You wonder what HR does all day? Never told the same thing by people. They throw you around like a rag doll. You are just a number there. They lose more & more members each year. Some leaders have no clue what they are even doing. How did they get the position? The question is how much does staff of Wellmark actually care about their employees? Cafeteria is fattening & outrageously priced!! No wonder everyone is overweight there.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet it together. Actually care about your employees.

Worked for Wellmark? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Wellmark reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Wellmark CEO John D. Forsyth. All 20 reviews posted anonymously by Wellmark employees.