Wellmark

John D. Forsyth

Great Internship

Former Employee - Project Management Intern in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Project Management Intern in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Wellmark as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

As an intern at Wellmark, we had the best possible start to our career that we ever could have hoped for. We were given access to the CEO and CIO, and I was personally given access to the VP of Finance to discuss future job opportunities, the current health care market situation, ect. They honestly care about career development and advancement. My internship at Wellmark really set the tone for what the rest of my career is going to be like, simply awesome.

Cons

The only complaint I have about Wellmark is that there is a definite culture problem. There are members of HR that seem to take advantage of their position. For example, certain members of HR in higher positions of power, treat people horribly and act childish if they don't get their way. Furthermore, if someone were to go out of their way to expose this behavior, the person who was in power in the HR department would take action to make it look like you were simply a bad employee. They have instituted a sort of "judge, jury, and executioner" tactic that is simply not okay. HR are supposed to be the people who look out for you in the work place, not the people who you are wary of.

My only advice to management at Wellmark is to take deliberate action to fix the culture problem brought on by HR. It may not be politically correct, but for the betterment of the company and to ensure longevity, something must be done. I know that over half of the team I worked with during my time at Wellmark has left due to these HR issues because they are simply impossible to work with.

Customer's First

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Wellmark full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There are great benefits. I work for a company I truly believe in. My manager goes to bat for me and really tries to help me, and help everyone succeed. We work really hard to try and make sure the customer is happy. I have put in for several process improvements of things I thought should be updated, and was rewarded for every improvement I suggested, and every training manual I created. I love that Wellmark focuses so much on diversity and culture. They contribute a hefty amount toward schooling and paying back schooling. They give you all the tools that you could need to succeed.

Cons

I started out as a contractor and had my own desk, however, I do see that contractors are as mentioned, are sitting on folding tables that are lined against the wall. I really just don't think we have the space for actual temporary employees and don't want to take away from employees. I do wish I got paid more.

Weed out the people who don't want to be there - because our customers come first and if someone has only negative things to say, and are rude to our members (if they are in customer service), flush them out, please.

Very supportive, great place to work

Current Employee - Informatics Analyst II in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Informatics Analyst II in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Wellmark full-time

Pros

Good benefits, free parking
    Cash incentives for physical activity challenges
    Supportive careerwise
    Educational assistance

Cons

Diversity is great but they overhype it way too much I think. Still, if that's the worst con I can think of...

Show respect to contract employees

Current Employee - IT Developer in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - IT Developer in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Wellmark

Pros

Recently built fancy office with state of art design which serves no purpose..

Cons

Contract employees are made to sit in a row along the corridor or aisle..Contractors cannot use any of office supplies including water glass with wellmark logo..I saw one pregnant lady was made to sit along the aisle with no privacy and no cabinets to keep her belongings..shame to wellmark..This is no way to treat contract employees..Worst work culture that I have ever come across..contract employees are looked down upon with no respect..contractors just disappear over night and nobody knows why..contractors in IT department are brought in by paying premium price but nobody interviews them..they just walk into office!! Most of them fake their experience in profiles with no proper reference checks...Feel pity that public's money is wasted like this.. employees are threatened with dire consequences if they talk about this openly in office..

Management should walk the talk and show that they do really care employees irrespective whether they are contractors or full time..be transparent in the management..cleanup the mess created in IT..

The last years was a living hell.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Wellmark

Pros

Works hard to treat their customers right. Good benefits.

Cons

Sr. Leadership does not walk the talk. Long term employees are not valued. Very fearful culture. People just disappear over night and no one knows why.

Stop bringing in ineffective middle mgmt. Value and treat your employees with dignity and respect.

Summer Internship at Wellmark

Former Employee - Intern in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Intern in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Wellmark as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

-First internship at college, friendly coworkers
    -Nice HQ, free ramp parking, cafeteria, gym
    -Well-structured internship program
    -A few really nice people I met during the summer

Cons

-Severely underpaid, just a little over half of what people normally pay their interns. No perks whatsoever
    -Lots of slow time at work, jobs tend to be very trivial
    -At the end of the internship I was told by my manager that should there be any opportunities at Wellmark, I would be the top choice because I did a great job there. The truth was I got weed out by HR immediately and didn't even get an interview.

Awesome place to work!

Former Employee - Systems Architect in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Systems Architect in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Wellmark full-time (less than a year)

Pros

work/life balance, flexibility, support for healthy lifestyle. Leadership was supportive and helped their direct reports. Lots is expected of contract staff.

Cons

cubicles are tough to work in, time off is hard to schedule when everyone is so busy! Contract staff is made to feel less valuable.

Walk the walk and make healthy choices for your self. lead by example and take time off, support the efforts of underlings.

I expected great things from Welmark, instead I discovered messy internal practices.

Former Employee - Membership Enrollment in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Membership Enrollment in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Wellmark full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Benefits and easily accessible gym.

Cons

The right hand doesn't talk to the left hand. System updates are constantly implemented without testing, leaving several departments (operations mostly) unable to work which puts you further behind. Procedures are done without notifying the department it directly effects. So when new issues occur no one knows why until the issue is escalated to department managers. The department managers then turn around and act like the effected department should have foreseen and notified the department responsible for the change. Unbelievable.

The second biggest issue is that every department is understaffed. It's fine if you are an hourly employer, but the minute you go salary - GOODBYE LIFE. Come in at 7 and leave at 530-6.

For the first time when I started a new job, I thought of leaving Wellmark within the first week. That has never happened to any job I've ever had in my adult career.

It's 2014. Hire appropriately and accordingly. I'd rather take a lower performance bonus if I didn't have to do the work of 2.5/3 people. There was no appeal in a large bonus when you are overworked and stressed 12 months out of the year.

Toxic Managers

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Wellmark full-time

Pros

Mots of the people that I worked with on a daily basis were hard working, decent, smart people. I was able to work on a variety of types of projects and with many areas of the company. The benefits are great as is the building and workout facility.

Cons

Leadership at Wellmark is only looking out for themselves and will not hesitate to throw any of their team under the bus for any missteps or mistakes. Micromanaging at its worst on many days. The work load was over the top on most days with no possibility of getting help. Certain departments and teams are better than others but stay far away from the Marketing Communications team. Unless leadership in that whole department is changed, the rapid turnover and continuous hiring will continue due to dis-satisfied and fed up employees.

Need better training overall on the insurance industry for all new employees. The culture of pitting teams and people against each other needs to change throughout the whole company but that is coming from the top. It is an oppressive environment for most employees.

Financial Analyst

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Wellmark full-time

Pros

The best benefits I've seen. Great people to work with. Everyday is challenging. Awesome company culture that is very flexible and friendly.

Cons

Seems like everyone has been there for a long time so it seems difficult to advance within the company.

Keep it up.

Wellmark Photos

Wellmark's Des Moines office is the largest LEED Platinum Certified building in the world.
Wellmark's corporate headquarters are located in the heart of Des Moines' famous Pappajohn Sculpture Park.

+ Add Photo