Wells' Dairy

Updated November 25, 2014
Updated November 25, 2014
3.9

Mike Wells

Recently celebrated 100 years of family ownership - on the way to the second 100 years!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Le Mars, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Le Mars, IA

I have been working at Wells' Dairy full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Perfect mix of team participation with the autonomy to take responsibility and accountability for individual actions. The company exudes the following six basic fundamentals: honesty, integrity, respect, discretion, humility, and accountability. Partnered with the Make-A-Wish Foundation to allow employees the opportunity to participate in100 wish-granting events across the country in 2013 in celebration of the 100th anniversary! Continuing this relationship by granting an additional 20 wishes in 2014...hopefully this continues on an annual basis!!!

Cons

Location, location, location. At times it is difficult to recruit top talent willing to relocate to northwest Iowa, and the regional workforce seems to be tapped out.

Continue to lead by example!

Small Town Feeling, Competitive Environment

Former Employee - Supply Chain Intern in Le Mars, IA
    Former Employee - Supply Chain Intern in Le Mars, IA

I worked at Wells' Dairy as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Managers were very understanding and really valued your ideas. Many of the managers come from bigger companies and have great deal of information. Because of their experience, they can provide you with lots of advises as an intern. Had great flexibility in what meetings to attend. Supply Chain VP at this time is very energetic and supportive- creating a good environment for team.

Cons

Located in a very small town. Most employees are older as it is a good place to grow a family, but too small for younger professionals. Pay could be higher for interns and no housing options for out-of-state interns

Family-owned culture

I worked at Wells' Dairy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of culture, strong values and beliefs (as long as you have the same values and beliefs), invested in the community

Cons

Heavy layoffs, lack of long-term strategic direction, group-think, separation between management and employees and between Demand and Manufacturing groups, resistant to change.

Good family company, great products and was a fun and comfortable career politics aside

Current Employee - Sales Management
    Current Employee - Sales Management

I have been working at Wells' Dairy full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Family company, balance, fun products, ability to have some balance, ability to interact with a wide range of customers.

Cons

Politics amongst some groups, silo mentality, advancement is limited, feast one year, famine the next due to short term outlook on decisions by some in management.

Clear out the politicians, stand on your brand and have identity. Get back to hiring brand ambassadors that truly believed in you and the brand.

Great Company

Former Employee - Financial Intern in Le Mars, IA
    Former Employee - Financial Intern in Le Mars, IA

I worked at Wells' Dairy as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great people to work with and flexible schedule.

Cons

Stressful work environment, poor training at the time of my hire.

Take time and train new entry-level employees.

Great company to work for

Current Employee - IT Staff in Le Mars, IA
    Current Employee - IT Staff in Le Mars, IA

I have been working at Wells' Dairy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work/Life balance is a focus. Office culture is open. Great co-workers. Management is there to support you.

Cons

Inconsistent bonus payout. Incentive program isn't really related to performance. Things are changing too much.

You're strategy changes affect everyone. Please be more consistent and give us a greater feeling of stability. You announce major event the day of or the day after. Please stop doing that. Give us some notice and ask what we think about the changes.

Long hours plenty of work.

Former Employee - Production Line Assistant in Saint George, UT
    Former Employee - Production Line Assistant in Saint George, UT

I worked at Wells' Dairy full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good trainers, good place to work, good pay increases, you can learn at you own pace. Good leadership. Great paid vacation almost as soon as you complete 60 days of employment. Lots of good ice cream to eat!

Cons

The new guys get to work do all the crappy work while the older employees get the easy jobs! Time off is sometimes to hard to get! Long hours not sitting at all you are moving constantly. Kind of boring when you do the same thing hour after hour. Sometimes when the machines break down you have to keep just as fast as with two machines. No windows artificial light, if you are not used to that, it can die depressing!

Plant Manager is a great person keep the having the meetings with employees one on one, I really like that! My immediate supervisor was really nice and understands people and people needs!

For the most part, it was a great organization to be associated with.

I worked at Wells' Dairy

Pros

My one-ups promoted an environment where you take initiative and responsibility. They were there to support you as well. It allowed me to grow in many areas. The same can be said about other marketing and support personnel. There were many "perks" that complemented the salary to round out a nice compensation package, even with recent cutbacks.

Cons

Incentive was complicated and inconsistent from year to year. The resulting payouts, large or small (too many times nothing), felt disconnected from the activity.
    Not much direction or encouragement from the company's leadership in recent years. One would have to assume that will resolve as the company evolves into whatever it is to become.

Don't let short term challenges compromise what made Blue Bunny the product/brand it has become, to date.

Only business in town, but steer clear if you can.

Current Employee - IT/TECH in Le Mars, IA
    Current Employee - IT/TECH in Le Mars, IA

I have been working at Wells' Dairy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pay/benefits are good for the area.

Cons

Long term financial outlook is poor. Small company that tries to act like a huge corporation; bureaucracy. Very long hours. Year end reviews/raises are more closely tied to position in buddy network than performance. High manager-to-employee ratio, causing extremely top heavy organization.

Reduce corporate bureaucracy. Take more risks. Eliminate entire levels of middle management.

You Have to Love the Ice Cream

Former Employee - IT Intern in Le Mars, IA
    Former Employee - IT Intern in Le Mars, IA

I worked at Wells' Dairy as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I can't tell you how much ice cream I ate during my summer at Wells.
    I learned an invaluable amount of skills in IT.
    My manager was EXTREMELY helpful to my success during my time there.
    Even while he claimed to have limited technical ability, he helped me hone my IT skills.
    My work was valuable to the company, and I was trusted to do good work.
    Did I mention the free Ice cream?
    I felt anything but chained to my desk; the corporate office is a great environment to be in.
    As a native Le Martian, I have a certain loyalty to the Blue Bunny brand, but after working in the ice cream factory and in the IT department, I have an even deeper appreciation for what Wells does.

Cons

Is it possible to eat too much ice cream? Probably...
    I can't think of any real cons. You will have to find someone who is a little more bitter, because everyone at Wells is so sweet!

Continue respecting interns by giving them important work. Keep up the good work! Transparency is good. I loved seeing a monthly report of the companies performance. I also loved that the CEO sends out personal addresses about the company.