Wells' Dairy

Add Photos

Mike Wells

You Have to Love the Ice Cream

IT Intern (Former Employee) Le Mars, IA

ProsI can't tell you how much ice cream I ate during my summer at Wells.
    I learned an invaluable amount of skills in IT.
    My manager was EXTREMELY helpful to my success during my time there.
    Even while he claimed to have limited technical ability, he helped me hone my IT skills.
    My work was valuable to the company, and I was trusted to do good work.
    Did I mention the free Ice cream?
    I felt anything but chained to my desk; the corporate office is a great environment to be in.
    As a native Le Martian, I have a certain loyalty to the Blue Bunny brand, but after working in the ice cream factory and in the IT department, I have an even deeper appreciation for what Wells does.

ConsIs it possible to eat too much ice cream? Probably...
    I can't think of any real cons. You will have to find someone who is a little more bitter, because everyone at Wells is so sweet!

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue respecting interns by giving them important work. Keep up the good work! Transparency is good. I loved seeing a monthly report of the companies performance. I also loved that the CEO sends out personal addresses about the company.

For the most part, it was a great organization to be associated with.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMy one-ups promoted an environment where you take initiative and responsibility. They were there to support you as well. It allowed me to grow in many areas. The same can be said about other marketing and support personnel. There were many "perks" that complemented the salary to round out a nice compensation package, even with recent cutbacks.

ConsIncentive was complicated and inconsistent from year to year. The resulting payouts, large or small (too many times nothing), felt disconnected from the activity.
    Not much direction or encouragement from the company's leadership in recent years. One would have to assume that will resolve as the company evolves into whatever it is to become.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't let short term challenges compromise what made Blue Bunny the product/brand it has become, to date.

Only business in town, but steer clear if you can.

IT/TECH (Current Employee) Le Mars, IA

ProsPay/benefits are good for the area.

ConsLong term financial outlook is poor. Small company that tries to act like a huge corporation; bureaucracy. Very long hours. Year end reviews/raises are more closely tied to position in buddy network than performance. High manager-to-employee ratio, causing extremely top heavy organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementReduce corporate bureaucracy. Take more risks. Eliminate entire levels of middle management.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A company that truly engrains it's mission, values, and vision into every employee and decision!

Associate Marketing Manager (Current Employee) Le Mars, IA

ProsWells hires the best of the best. My coworkers are brilliant, open-minded, and adaptable. The company truly treats its employees like its #1 asset. Fun, laid back environment. Everything is viewed as an opportunity to grow and learn, even mistakes.

ConsSmall community in a rural part of the country. Although the community is very friendly, it can be difficult to recruit and maintain people who are looking for more excitement outside of work.

it has been grat so far

Prosvery fast paced and well trained

Conslots of hours and crap to deal with

Advice to Senior Managementlet me take a minute to say f you

Family Company, People are recognized as Assets

Engineering Manager (Current Employee) Le Mars, IA

ProsUnparalelled Team Environment, Working together toward common goals. Core values are stressed. Individual are recognized for achievements. Great Atmosphere.

ConsSmall Town, Difiicult to recruit new employees away from larger cities. Onboarding prgram could be more robust. Had to navigate on my own for the 1st month or so.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

very good company.solid

Fleet (Current Employee) Le Mars, IA

ProsGreat place to work,good benefits

Consmanagers and directorsare a little arrogant.Pay raises are not devided at a fair and balanced distrobution.they go on what a steering team decides .most of thew steering team has no contact with the employees they rate

Advice to Senior ManagementMake raises more fair pay more attention to ter employees and talk more with the supervisors about their leaders.

Excellent career advancement opportunities

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Le Mars, IA

ProsGreat pay for the area. Strong company values. Determined leadership. Currently positioned to be the #1 ice cream producer in the USA.

ConsSome people in the company are difficult to work for. There are some managers throughout the organization that have a tendency to take credit for successes and place blame for failures.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere needs to be a stronger interview process than having a phone interview and then one other on-site interview when hiring from the outside. At times, it seems as if we have hired people just to have the position filled rather than hiring the right person and training for the job. I think a series of 4-6 interviews over the course of several weeks to really get to know the candidates would not only reduce turnover rate in the supervisor/manager ranks (especially in the plants), but it would also make sure that the people we are hiring share the same values and beliefs as the rest of the company.

Great place

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Le Mars, IA

ProsI really enjoy working for Blue Bunny.

ConsThey tend to be a tad slow upgrading hardware.

Very good company to work for.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Le Mars, IA

ProsGreat family company. Very organized and room for growth. Great People to work with and Leadership always shows respect and appreciation to employees

ConsHeard of terminations without probable reason. At times when there is job opening even when you have proven to be a capable and over achiever they (staffing) will over look your abilities and give the job to someone just because they have a degree.

Advice to Senior ManagementSometimes hiring the best personnel does not mean hire someone with a Bachelor's Degree. At times it is more vital to look at someone's abilities, skills, experience, etc. You can easily eliminate a very good prospect that would add more value to the company by making a college degree a requirement.

Worked for Wells' Dairy? Contribute to the Community!