Wells Fargo

Updated February 18, 2015
3.2

Wells Fargo President, CEO, and Director John G. Stumpf
John G. Stumpf

Pros
  • The work-life balance is good and I was able to see a number of interesting deals (in 283 reviews)

• They do have good benefits although they continue to degrade a little every year (in 488 reviews)

Cons
  • Sales goals that must be met whether the customer wants or needs the products (in 565 reviews)

• work- life balance very difficult with the stress management gives to produce (in 138 reviews)

More Highlights

265 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Good Enough

Former Employee - Teller in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Teller in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Wells Fargo

Pros

Easy work load for a student which I was at the time.

Cons

My business card said teller, but I felt more like a salesman.

Wells Fargo is a large company that employees could get lost in, but working hard is definitely rewarded.

Former Employee - Personal Banker II in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Personal Banker II in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Wells Fargo

Pros

Great pay, incentives, and benefits.

Cons

Very large company where employees can sometimes be forgotten as just a number. Although, this is could be rectified by standing out above your peers and working diligently.

No advice.

Good part work

Current Employee - Tekker in Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Tekker in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at Wells Fargo

Pros

Very easy work. Get 2 dollars a sale past a certain point

Cons

Not really to many cons.

Keep up the good work.

Phone banker 1 and 2

Former Employee - Phone Banker II in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Phone Banker II in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Wells Fargo

Pros

Good pay and great hours

Cons

Internal is way to nosey

Sales Oriented and stressful

Former Employee - Service Manager II in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Service Manager II in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Wells Fargo

Pros

Meet a lot of great teammates that turn into friends. Great to start out with a corporate company and to gain experience. Lots of room to grow and quick.

Cons

Extremely Sales Oriented and often times stressful. If working in the branch, you have a set amount of goals each month that needs to be hit. But what is frustrating is every month in particular January, aka Jumping into January, and July, aka Jetting into July they expect you to have 10-20 friends and family appointments, meaning, they expect you to have 10-20 friends and family open accounts with you.

Working there is like working with big brother, depending on who your DM is. Every day you have a 10:00am and 2:00PM call which is pointless. The same thing is said every twice a day, every day. Where is your store at, why haven't you hit your goal, what will you do hit your goal. They expect you to pressure the customers into opening accounts. Many times, it becomes not being in the best interest of the customer because you are desperate to hit your goal. Not hitting your goals for the week or day, required you (if you are salaried, sometimes hourly) to work over-time and or weekends.

The amount of money, lack of, that you get paid, is NOT worth the amount of sales stress and pressure and do not get me wrong, I am extremely sales oriented and sales is my niche, but not the way it is done at Wells.

In addition, if you have an issue with management and contact HR and or tell your DM, they don't do anything about it. I once encountered a hostile situation and I contacted my HR dpt and of course, since they were the manager of the store, they are in favor for them. Telling my district manager got me no where.

Loan Document Specialist 4

Former Employee - Loan Document Specialist IV in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Loan Document Specialist IV in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Wells Fargo

Pros

Overtime hours, flexibility with hours worked, vacation days. Work with different backgrounds

Cons

Very demanding work with deadlines to be met. Can be displaced depending on the market trends.

Would be helpful to have ongoing personality type training courses

Great Company

Current Employee - Information Security Analyst in Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Information Security Analyst in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at Wells Fargo

Pros

everyone there is willing to help

Cons

there is no cons to this job

i don't have any advice

Not the job for me. I was looking for a career not a job.

Former Employee - Phone Banker I in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Phone Banker I in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Wells Fargo full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- offer health insurance after first full month of employment
    - casual dress code

Cons

If you're a phone banker one, you're basically a robot
    - on the phone 100% of the time
    - calls are expected to be under 4 minutes
    - Quality Assurance is very subjective
    - your bonuses depend on the clients emotions
    - very large organization so to fix one problem you need to speak with 10 people in 10 different departments
    - things can change at the drop of a hat
    - all about sales and making money

Get rid of incompetent management. It is very hard for management to retain employees in this position because of burnout and growing responsibility but the salary does not keep up.

Great company

Former Employee - Lead Teller in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Lead Teller in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Wells Fargo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Takes care of its employees

Cons

Huge organization - easy to get lost in the fray

Spend more time focusing on the little guys that serve as the boots on the ground

Greenfield & Mckellips: Bad working environment; like high school all over again.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mesa, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mesa, AZ

I have been working at Wells Fargo

Pros

- Decent health benefits; though expensive considering how little people make.
    - Quarterly bonuses
    - Lots of opportunities to move on

Cons

- Inflated sales goals that are unrealistic, limiting your quarterly bonus
    - Unfair treatment of employees. If you can get 'in' with the manager, you can do whatever you want. Otherwise, the managers will be very strict about policies. This often means that people who have good relationships with others get ignored when they do things like take credit for a sale that they shouldn't while those who don't get reprimanded.
    - 'Good old boy' style environment. Its just like the cool kids in high school again. If you are one of them, everything is perfect, if you are on the outside, you get treated differently. This manifested when an employee of several years refused to give credit to a new employee "because she was new" but the other tellers can have the credit "because they have been here longer and talk to customers more."
    - Males get better treatment. In the most recent batch of new tellers, the male teller was given the key to his station, to begin working independently a full week ahead of the female. Also, the female teller did not get the same instructions on how to gain credit for sales, so that female lost out on a whole months worth of sales credits. The manager primarily responsible for this training was also female. A third example: the same male employee was told before a holiday that he had to clock hours for that holiday to get credit. The same female employee did not get this information until after the holiday when she noticed that her pay was lower than it should have been. It took her two pay periods before she was able to get that money.
    - Less than competent service management. Every so often, employees had to work late because a manager didn't fulfill their opening duties until during closing hours. Also, service managers are required to handle customer complaints and would chastise tellers if a customer with a complaint was presented to them during their opening duties.

Actually listen to people. Don't ignore issues, and don't hold double standards. It creates a very toxic atmosphere when it is obvious people are getting different treatment.

This toxic environment will not get fixed unless someone hire up has the resolve to put store managers in place who will address this specific issue and fire people who operate under the 'boy's club' mentality.