Wells Fargo Reviews

Reset
3.3
Wells Fargo President, CEO, and Director John G. Stumpf
John G. Stumpf

Pros
  • They sometimes care about work/life balance (in 283 reviews)

• good benefits a great company to move up (in 488 reviews)

Cons
  • Sales goals that must be met whether the customer wants or needs the products (in 565 reviews)

• Management does not have much of a work life balance (in 138 reviews)

1. Great place to work

Current Employee - Vice President in Mesa, AZ
    Current Employee - Vice President in Mesa, AZ

I have been working at Wells Fargo (More than 5 years)

Pros

Huge advancement opportunities. Also management really cares about team members and customers

Cons

Nothing. If you work hard you can have a amazing career

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work

2. Manager life

Former Employee - Service Manager II in Mesa, AZ
    Former Employee - Service Manager II in Mesa, AZ

I worked at Wells Fargo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Goal Driven and opportunities to move quickly through the company. I felt that I had the opportunity to succeed and was empowered to implore my own strategies to help the team succeed. Coaching and development opportunities were plentiful as well.

Cons

Minimal work-life balance and the need to perform and produce. I felt that achieving goals was at times not good enough. Exceeding goals by significant margins was the definition of success.

Advice to Management

Find a way to provide work-life balance to management. Burnout is reality. I experienced lots of team member turnover during my time at Wells Fargo.

3. Greenfield & Mckellips: Bad working environment; like high school all over again.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mesa, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mesa, AZ

Pros

- Decent health benefits; though expensive considering how little people make. - Quarterly bonuses - Lots of opportunities to move on

Cons

- Inflated sales goals that are unrealistic, limiting your quarterly bonus - Unfair treatment of employees. If you can get 'in' with the manager, you can do whatever you want. Otherwise, the managers will be very strict about policies. This often means that people who have good relationships with others get ignored when they do things like take credit for a sale that they shouldn't while those who don't get reprimanded. - 'Good old boy' style environment. Its just like the cool kids in high school again. If you are one of them, everything is perfect, if you are on the outside, you get treated differently. This manifested when an employee of several years refused to give credit to a new employee "because she was new" but the other tellers can have the credit "because they have been here longer and talk to customers more." - Males get better treatment. In the most recent batch of new tellers, the male teller was given the key to his station, to begin working independently a full week ahead of the female. Also, the female teller did not get the same instructions on how to gain credit for sales, so that female lost out on a whole months worth of sales credits. The manager primarily responsible for this training was also female. A third example: the same male employee was told before a holiday that he had to clock hours for that holiday to get credit. The same female employee did not get this information until after the holiday when she noticed that her pay was lower than it should have been. It took her two pay periods before she was able to get that money. - Less than competent service management. Every so often, employees had to work late because a manager didn't fulfill their opening duties until during closing hours. Also, service managers are required to handle customer complaints and would chastise tellers if a customer with a complaint was presented to them during their opening duties.

Advice to Management

Actually listen to people. Don't ignore issues, and don't hold double standards. It creates a very toxic atmosphere when it is obvious people are getting different treatment. This toxic environment will not get fixed unless someone hire up has the resolve to put store managers in place who will address this specific issue and fire people who operate under the 'boy's club' mentality.

5. Sales mean more than anything to Wells Fargo

Former Employee - Personal Banker in Mesa, AZ
    Former Employee - Personal Banker in Mesa, AZ

I worked at Wells Fargo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome PTO benefits! The company has a good 401k plan and ESPP program. The values of the company are solid.

Cons

The sales mean more than anything to management. They don't really care about what is best for the customer (I worked in multiple "stores"). The number of sales expected out of bankers would be acceptable if there were fewer bankers in each location.

I loved working for this company.

Former Employee - Personal Banker I in Mesa, AZ
    Former Employee - Personal Banker I in Mesa, AZ

I worked at Wells Fargo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent employee benefits! It feels great to work for a company that has made a very respectable name for itself.

Cons

Caution - If you do not like intense sales pressure you would not enjoy working on the retail side of wells fargo. This is at times a "con" because too much sales pressure can lead to an unethical work environment and culture.

Advice to Management

I would recommend that you constantly reward your employees who do well on a consistent basis! As a manager. i think i would value consistency very much from my employees. If they are a consistently high performing employee it does no good to harass them on the one of two days they do not perform well. I think this is ineffective and a counterproductive tactic because it can discourage that employee, make them feel as though their consistent performance is not appreciated, and can therefore create a subtle resentment towards their manager. I think it is better to focus on the employees who are not performing up to standards.

7. Good And the bad

Current Employee - Personal Banker I in Mesa, AZ
    Current Employee - Personal Banker I in Mesa, AZ

Pros

Great company to get by

Cons

They expect so much for mortgage I might as well go work for a firm

Advice to Management

Pay more for benefits

8. Personal Banker

Current Employee - Personal Banker I (SAFE) in Mesa, AZ
    Current Employee - Personal Banker I (SAFE) in Mesa, AZ

I have been working at Wells Fargo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people that I work with and the flexibility with school schedule. They also have tuition reimbursement.

Cons

Depending on your manager, it can be a little intense when it comes to performance required (sales). But if you use the tools provided and follow the roadmap, you will be successful.

Advice to Management

They have many great leaders but I have seen some that are micro managers. In my opinion I hate that and work better with less supervision.

9. Horrible

Former Employee - Teller in Mesa, AZ
    Former Employee - Teller in Mesa, AZ

I worked at Wells Fargo part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, great customers, hour lunches

Cons

Discrimination, easy to make mistakes, i was a part time 24hr employee and they kept scheduling me 40 + hours a week when I was also in school.

Advice to Management

Be more understanding and help new hires learn.

Lead Teller & Teller

Former Employee - Lead Teller in Mesa, AZ
    Former Employee - Lead Teller in Mesa, AZ

I worked at Wells Fargo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company is great to work for, many perks in discounts, retirement match, paid time off, quarterly bonuses, many opportunities to grow within the company. Great coworkers and environment (most of the time...you always have those few who are Debbie Downers)

Cons

Be ready to sell products! Its all about the customer and making sure they have EVERY possible product that will help benefit them. If you don't meet your goals, no bonus. After a certain amount of not meeting your quarterly goals, they will write you up if you don't make a change.

11. enjoyable

Current Employee - Bank Teller in Mesa, AZ
    Current Employee - Bank Teller in Mesa, AZ

I have been working at Wells Fargo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good place to learn about banking and personal finance

Cons

locations affects your productivity when it comes to reaching your goals

Advice to Management

none

Showing 19 of 9,732 reviews