Wells Fargo Reviews

1. Best Employer of my career

Current Employee - Analytic Consultant in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Analytic Consultant in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Wells Fargo

Pros

Good tech systems, knowledge base , tools, management, and commitment to excellence and employees' engagement. Great benefits and compensation.

Cons

took me too long to get onboarded

2. Mortgage Doc Specialist - OK job if you like to keep your head down and do your work

Former Employee - Mortgage Loan Officer in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Mortgage Loan Officer in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Wells Fargo full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Job consisted of calling borrowers who wanted to refinance their homes, A consultant would approve and set the rate, we would retrieve documents that an underwriter had requested.

I had a great manager while I was there, he wanted us to learn the job and would help us if necessary, but was not over-bearing. He gave out plenty of compliments and during team meetings he tried to lift everyone up.

Monthly contests- If you had 100% 5 star reviews from your borrowers for a month, there would be a big lunch you were invited to

If you worked late the company would cater food several times a week, you just had to sign up at lunch and work past 7

Cons

Was a bit of a grinder, I had over 100 borrowers at one point, very busy. Limited underwriters meant I had to control angry borrowers who had to wait several weeks to hear if their refinance had been approved through underwriting.

Not a ton of room for promotion, if I had stayed for another year I might have been able to pursue a promotion to underwriter.

I thought he did a good job treating us as human beings, understood that if a customer blew up at us, it usually wasn't our fault.

Could have hired some more underwriters to try to move the files along at a faster pace.

3. Lots of opportunities to grow in different positions, in a highly political environment, which can hamper success.

Former Employee - IT Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - IT Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Wells Fargo

Pros

Continual challenging ways to grow

Cons

Somewhat hamstring in politics to get things done.

Change your culture to empower people and remove the politics barriers.

5. Great company, tough environment

Current Employee - Teller in Lino Lakes, MN
    Current Employee - Teller in Lino Lakes, MN

I have been working at Wells Fargo part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great company, benefits and opportunities

Cons

If you're unable to make goals, there's not a lot off chance to move up.

Not the same Wells Fargo, beware!!

Former Employee - Private Mortgage Banker in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Private Mortgage Banker in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Wells Fargo full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

great brand, strong marketing, lots of customers to assist, has better integrity and honesty than most other large banks (but that is not saying much).

Cons

poor and disconnected management. Most managers have no idea what is happening on the front lines, they are focused on reports/cross sells etc...and have no idea what their team needs to be successful. Pay/bonuses/benefits continue to decline every year, while micromanagement and monitoring all you do goes up. They continue to layoff people to have a more "lean" workforce, but this just equals more work for less pay for those that can stomach all the stress and stay. I was integral in the merger of Wells Fargo's buyout of Wachovia in 2009+ and Wells Fargo was a much different and better place to work before Wachovia. After the merger, pensions were cut, Wells Fargo expanded nationwide and became one the largest banks in the world, and the culture changed for the worse. The company no longer values the employee, but rather values above all else their "system" and feels that they can get anyone in there to do your job should have you have complaints/or struggles.

focus on retaining work force and don't be afraid to invest in them, its not an encouraging feeling when you receive the company news letter that Wells Fargo has earned another quarter of highest revenue (for the 8th straight qtr) in company history and then immediately after you get called into a room with your team to hear that they are cutting your pay and asking you to do more.

7. Good culture and management.

Current Employee - Loan Servicing Specialist in Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - Loan Servicing Specialist in Eagan, MN

I have been working at Wells Fargo

Pros

Very good culture and management.

Cons

Just have needed a more fluid, dynamic, and creative work environment.

None to give specifically.

Great learning experience

Former Employee - Phone Banker in Shoreview, MN
    Former Employee - Phone Banker in Shoreview, MN

I worked at Wells Fargo full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Excellent training program, Superb coworkers. retirement plan, Time-Off

Cons

performance metrics are unrealistic. Position can be very overwhelming and stressful. 90% of customer interactions are dreadful.

Cut down on the high turnover rate and burnout by readjusting performance goals

Good employer on paper not reality

Current Employee - Retirement Service Representative in Roseville, MN
    Current Employee - Retirement Service Representative in Roseville, MN

I have been working at Wells Fargo full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good 401k program and tuition reimbursement.

Cons

Employees are pay less for jobs that other companies will pay more for. Reviews are based on the supervisor preferences. The longer you work for Wells Fargo the lower income you received due to bad reviews by supervisors. Blacks are paid less than their whit colleagues.

Threat all the employees the same be it black or white - African or American. Stop pretending to the outside world - treat your employees like your 1st customers

10. Overall great company and laid-back environment.

Current Employee - Home Preservation Closer in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Home Preservation Closer in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Wells Fargo full-time (less than a year)

Pros

With Wells Fargo, your ability to work hard, take initiatives, show enthusiasm for your work, and take on additional work load, of-course, complete tasks efficiently will be your gateway to advancement within the company. Wells Fargo team of leaders are extremely laid-back and easily communicative. You can walk pass your manager and not know he/she is your manager unless someone tells you. It's because they are that easy to approach.

Cons

During seasonal times, wells Fargo can be become extremely busy. As a result, they would select anyone right off the street to work for them, especially temp agencies workers. Once the period of excitement is over, and you are not one of the top performers, it is likely you will be cut just like that. They should spend enough time training new members to allow them to slowly emerged into their roles, rather than hurry you through the training process because of seasonal overload. The learning process can be tedious so you will need all the training you can get to perform well in your role. It gets easy with time. For some, it might be easy right off the back. Everyone learns differently. Pay can be low for contract workers. If you are in the Mortgage, Finance dept its $15 hourly for Aerotek contractors.

11. Decent work experience

Former Employee - IT Senior Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - IT Senior Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Wells Fargo full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Work with some really smart people.

Cons

Travel for conferences is non-existent unless you are at a senior level.
    Although online training programs are decent the education and development budget is very limited for a company this size.
    LOTs or politics and behind the scenes conversations that completely contradict good collaboration and partnership.
    Barriers and red tape between groups make it difficult to negotiate deliverables and contribute to delays. For example - sometimes it can take more than 4-8 weeks to get a single lower environment vm turned over to an app team.
    Too many promises to IT employees that cannot be delivered on.
    Antiquated IT procurement delivery systems and processes in dire need of streamlining yet funding get's cut year after year to do so.
    ALWAYS watch your back. Very, very, very few people you can trust that are not gunning for your job or aiming to blame you or someone else for their own inefficiencies.
    Management says one thing - does another. Example: Need to cut down on travel expense this year so they scratch everyone's travel (except) management. They continue to jet-set domestically and globally at a ridiculous pace.

Set the example and reduce jet-setting and commit to the same travel reductions enforced on mid and jr. staff.
    Truly invest in your mid-and jr. level talent by funding conference and educational travel.
    Be more transparent in why decisions are made.
    Trust your staff vs. use them like an expendable 'resource'.