Wells Fargo Reviews in Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN

6,447 Reviews

Wells Fargo President, CEO, and Director John G. Stumpf
John G. Stumpf
3,227 Ratings

Pros
  • The service is top rate to the customers and the work/life balance is very good (in 241 reviews)

• They do have good benefits although they continue to degrade a little every year (in 431 reviews)

Cons
  • Sales goals that must be met whether the customer wants or needs the products (in 481 reviews)

• No work life balance, very stressful work environment derived from upper managerment (in 111 reviews)

More Highlights

284 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Undervalued..

Current Employee - Personal Banker I  in  Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Personal Banker I in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Wells Fargo full-time for less than a year

Pros

-A lot of good people
    -Fortune 500 Company

Cons

-No work/life balance
    -Unrealistic sales goals
    -Micromanaged in every aspect of your job
    -Want us to push evermore bank products that are loosing value

There's no getting around to upper management they think they have it all figured out

Very good

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative III  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative III in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Wells Fargo full-time for more than a year

Pros

401k match 6% dollar for dollar after 1 year, no vesting schedule.
    Employer profit sharing of 0-4% after 1 year as well on a 3 year vesting schedule.
    Great company culture.

Cons

Must stay in the department you are hired on for 1 year minimum and the 1 year renews every time you get promoted.

Remove 1 year minimum requirement or allow for exceptions.

Great opportunity to get started in finance and sales.

Current Employee - Personal Banker I  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Personal Banker I in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Wells Fargo full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits with plenty of PTO for a nice work/life balance. There is a lot of room for advancement within the company and management tries to do a good job of helping with a career path for you. For the most part I really enjoy the customer service aspect of my job and love problem solving.

Cons

Retail banking is very sales oriented and management puts heavy pressure on meeting sales goals. The pay is average at best, with the opportunity to earn quarterly bonuses.

Decrease sales goals if you are going to take sales credit away from certain products/services. Focus more on improving customer experience.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Banker

Former Employee - Personal Banker I (SAFE)  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Personal Banker I (SAFE) in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Wells Fargo full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

People, salary, love my manager and the other staff

Cons

sales, too much expectations, management

Great employees but too many inexperienced managers throughout the company

Current Employee - Loan Servicing  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Loan Servicing in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Wells Fargo full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great benefits, decent pay, flexible hours for the most part, a lot of positions are paid hourly and allow overtime opportunities

Cons

Very poor and inexperienced management, which is apparently true all over the company. A lot of favoritism by management for promotions. Many departments have an unbelievable amount of MANDATORY overtime required. No security for your job, lay offs after years and years of employment. They care as little for their employees as for their customers, which is NOT much!

Develop mandatory management training for new managers. Not just some of your computer training courses that take a few minutes to complete....but several weeks of extensive classroom training that requires a PASS to move forward into a management position.

you better sell if you want to work there

Current Employee - Phone Banker  in  Shoreview, MN
    Current Employee - Phone Banker in Shoreview, MN

I have been working at Wells Fargo full-time for more than a year

Pros

I liked the people I work with. Other than that, I can't say a whole lot of good things about Wells

Cons

Managers act like they are your friend and want to help you and then one day, they pull you in the office and tell you that you're on an informal warning for not meeting sales goals. Then it's a formal warning and then termination. Many have been terminated for failing to meet sales goals. Of course they don't like when you use the word "sales", they claim it is "finding solutions for our customers". No, it's tricking them into getting additional products and services whether they need them or not and if you don't get the sale, it's always your fault. "You should have asked more probing questions" or "you should have given them more benefits" is what you'll get from managers. There is no objection that can't be overcome if you just say the right words. It never crossed their mind that the customer is just not interested. It's a shame. Wells Fargo has the potential to be a great place to work.

stop the emphasis on sales goals as employees constantly fear being terminated because of it

Constant change and frustration at WF Home Mortgage

Former Employee - Operations Processor  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Operations Processor in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Wells Fargo full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay is adequate, generous w/PTO, friendly co-workers who came from diverse educational and socioeconomic backgrounds, opportunity to learn different aspects of the mortgage business, good entry level job

Cons

Temps are treated poorly compared to permanent employees, there is a definite hierarchy and it's ridiculous since everyone does the same job
    Rules and processes were always changing in response to the government, new financial regulations, lawsuits, etc.
    MONTHS without any work to do--constant layoffs and fear of layoffs
    Getting an inside look at mortgage companies' deceptive and predatory lending practices is horrifying and discouraging--I felt ashamed to work here
    Management has no idea what the people on their team actually do, but lots of micromanagement anyway
    Rules and policies were enforced based on favoritism

Treat your temporary contractors with respect--they are working just as hard (if not harder) than the permanent employees
    More promotion from within the company, I saw a lot of middle and upper managers coming on board who had NO background in finance whatsoever

Not worth it

Former Employee - Sales  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Sales in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Wells Fargo full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

They do have great benefits. 401k and PTO are above average.

Cons

They claim to put the customers needs first. That doesn't happen, you get pressured to sell customers things they don't need. There is a focus on diversity that leads to a few very unprofessional coworkers, ones with tattoos on their face. Some very lazy people there.

Fire half of the work force, the bank is way too big. Also the pay is terrible, I make double for the same thing elsewhere. Way too many "hands in the pot"

Manager and team members are deceitful

Former Employee - Customer Service and Sales Representative  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Customer Service and Sales Representative in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Wells Fargo full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company provides good benefits to its employees. Good place to improve your customer service skills.

Cons

The company set high and unrealistic sales expectations reason why some managers and most of bankers meet their goals pushing customers to open unnecessary accounts so that the branch can get more bonuses. But when a customer complaints about an unrequested product, branch act like they don’t know anything about that, and even they fire their employees to cover their back.

My advice to Management is to stop looking at their numbers of sales. Instead, look at the numbers of complaints and unsatisfied customers. Encourage bankers and teller to care about customers not only about their pockets.

Teller

Current Employee - Teller  in  Coon Rapids, MN
    Current Employee - Teller in Coon Rapids, MN

I have been working at Wells Fargo full-time for less than a year

Pros

Stable amount of hours. Great co-workers
    Great benefits
    I would recommend for anyone that's in college to work here part time.

Cons

Your entire work life is dependent on how well your managers lead. The micro managing style that our managers are forced to use makes you feel belittled and small.
    This isn't coming from someone who struggles at their job.... I am coming off a great quarter where I lead our region in sales. Even then I am babysat and walked and out of everything I do.

Be there for support. Not to babysit

Worked for Wells Fargo? Contribute to the Community!