Wells Fargo Reviews

Reset
3.4
Wells Fargo President, CEO, and Director John G. Stumpf
John G. Stumpf

Pros
  • They sometimes care about work/life balance (in 283 reviews)

• good benefits a great company to move up (in 488 reviews)

Cons
  • Sales goals that must be met whether the customer wants or needs the products (in 565 reviews)

• Management does not have much of a work life balance (in 138 reviews)

Awesome company

Current Employee - Systems Architect in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Systems Architect in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Wells Fargo full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Easily move around company after a year in a position (after applying and interviewing). Extremely flexible in my area, in terms of work times, working from home, scheduling PTO, etc. Coworkers are high caliber. Projects are numerous. Technologies span a wide array. Depending on your role, you can do a ton. Very socially responsible company, especially in the diversity and LGBT space. I am very proud of the great work this company does for the community, and for openly taking a progressive stand on these issues. There is a real desire to be innovative and serving external and internal customers. It would have to be an extraordinary opportunity to get me to leave.

Cons

Career path is B.S. There are reorgs every 18 months, a constant shuffling, so it would be hard for any manager to actually know you. I have had over a dozen managers in ten years. I have never had a development plan in my ten years here. They have a stupid regional "midpoint" compensation system and odd HR job categories that do not match market. I went a few years without a raise because I was over the midpoint, and since I was reorg'd so often, I could not find a manager able to move me up, and there are very openings above my level. It is too hard to get promoted in certain HR categories like Database Analyst 6 and Systems Architect 6, Analytics Manager 5, etc. Bonuses are not that great either.

Advice to Management

Work on better internal advancement and how to retain very experienced professionals. Change the midpoint system and cough up the money to be more competitive. Expand advancement within job categories (eg, Database Analyst 7, 8, 9 , Systems Architect 7, 8, 9). You need to have cost of living increases over the midpoints.

2. Fantastic Place to work

Former Employee - Contractor in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Contractor in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Values the employees. Always looked forward to going to work

Cons

None that I can think of

3. WFEF Underwriter

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Isanti, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Isanti, MN

I have been working at Wells Fargo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible, salary, annual bonus, laid back work environment, community orientated

Cons

Work flow is not constant, sometime could require long hours, limited growth opportunities after about 10 years

5. Lead Teller

Current Employee - Lead Teller in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Lead Teller in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Wells Fargo (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great environment to work in, if you love meeting new people and learning new thing. This is a great place to work.

Cons

Sometimes it can be stressful, and overwhelming due to high intensity of sales push on employees to meet quarterly quotas.

Advice to Management

Sometimes managers like to play "favorites" when it comes to other employees, and also they will pick out some individuals sometimes which isn't right.

6. Wells Fargo

Former Employee - Lead Teller in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Lead Teller in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Wells Fargo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits and PTO

Cons

Little accountability from upper management, they always look to pass the buck down to get focus of themselves

7. Training

Current Employee - L&D Facilitator in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - L&D Facilitator in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Traveling is nice at time. The team I support are amazing and always making me feel like I am a part of the big team.

Cons

Working hourly with no OT is really hard when there's a lot do get done outside the class room.

Advice to Management

Back to back classes are really hard on staff

8. Home Mortgage -- Great Atmosphere, Long Hours

Former Employee - Home Mortgage Processor (Financial Advisers/WFA) in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Wells Fargo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

For a loan mortgage processor (entry-level position), the pay is great and the people are nice to work with. There are a lot of overtime opportunities (required during busy times, but you can really make bank with bonuses and incentives to work 18 hours over the weekend). During busy times, they bring in great food from well-known restaurants.

Cons

Overtime is required when the interest rates are low and everyone is refinancing their home loan. There are also very high standards and anything below a "5" on your customer service survey is considered a failure (but you can't tell customers to give you a "5"). Some managers are good, others are terrible, so you get the luck of the draw.

Advice to Management

When loan processors for the "Financial Advisor" business line are supposed to have about 25 loans, don't stuff us with 60+ loans and expect us to have good customer service; working 60 hours a week just to stay off the "bad service" radar is nuts.

9. Pushy Sales

Current Employee - Bank Teller in Moorhead, MN
    Current Employee - Bank Teller in Moorhead, MN

Pros

Scheduling, atmosphere, benefits, hours, compensation for sales

Cons

Focus is almost entirely on sales, instead of service. I often was told to try to sell secondary and tertiary checking accounts to people who had no need for them.

10. Phone Banker

Former Employee - Phone Banker in Shoreview, MN
    Former Employee - Phone Banker in Shoreview, MN

I worked at Wells Fargo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Ok Pay and good benefits. Most supervisors were nice.

Cons

You have a lot of training, but after the training is finished you're practically thrown in like a fish without water. It's a very difficult job and they expect you to have perfect numbers all of the time. They get very frustrated if you can't deesculate a call even if the caller was livid to begin with. Treatment was unfair sometimes. No very supportive towards workers who have anxiety problems. Are told to "suck it up" constantly and always get a "talking to" if you're away from the desk too long after a bad phone call. I know you're getting paid to do a job, but some people can't handle being screamed at and being called every horrid name under the sun for a half hour and be able to let it go after two minutes.

Advice to Management

Find a way to let people relax a little more after a bad phone call. Some people may be able to jump back from it right away but some may not. That doesn't make them bad for the position it just means they need an extra minute or two to get their nerves settled.

11. Dysfunctional, unorganized Home Mortgage Services Analytics department.

Former Employee - Business Systems Consultant in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Business Systems Consultant in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Wells Fargo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work/life balance, a lot of resources available, building is nice

Cons

Every decision requires a lot of meetings and 20 levels of management approval, managers and senior managers have no authority to make decisions, work content is very boring

Advice to Management

Allow certain levels of autonomy to management so that decisions can be made up to a certain budget. Every decision should not require 10 approvals that slow down the project by 6 months.

Showing 437 of 9,741 reviews