Wells Fargo

7,075 Reviews

Wells Fargo President, CEO, and Director John G. Stumpf
John G. Stumpf
3,539 Ratings

Pros
  • The work-life balance is good and I was able to see a number of interesting deals (in 283 reviews)

• They do have good benefits although they continue to degrade a little every year (in 488 reviews)

Cons
  • Sales goals that must be met whether the customer wants or needs the products (in 565 reviews)

• work- life balance very difficult with the stress management gives to produce (in 138 reviews)

More Highlights

78 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good company for career advancement.

Current Employee - Regional Bank Private Banker in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Regional Bank Private Banker in Portland, OR

I have been working at Wells Fargo full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Decent benefits, nice 401k match, although every year benefits are decreasing along with the rest of the industry. Good salary and plenty of career paths to choose from. Supports all kinds of diversity, very safe environment. Career training is usually pretty easy to get.

Cons

Some deparents are very closed and run by old school bankers. Cronyism is rampant in some areas and as you move up, like most places it becomes about who you know, not always what you do.

Salarie and benefits are a bit below average, training has become virtual mostly which is cheap but not condusive to most learning styles resulting in employees who are not equipped to do their jobs.

It was fun at the beginning, but lost respect for them by the end.

Former Employee - Home Equity Phone Banker in Beaverton, OR
    Former Employee - Home Equity Phone Banker in Beaverton, OR

I worked at Wells Fargo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They pay decent for a call center job.

Cons

They are all about the sales and handle time. Way too hard to meet their goals.

Stop acting like you have done better at the job when its only gotten tougher with the years.

Surface level benefits, corroded underside

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salem, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salem, OR

I worked at Wells Fargo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

large benefit package ( very costly though), probably never have a run on their funds.

Cons

Management is clueless, upper management only cares about their bonuses, and they foster backstabbing, lying and forcing products customers don't want on them all while pressuring employees to meet unobtainable bonus goals ( but all management treats these "bonus goals" as the bottom line, meet them or get fired. Ethical behavior is frowned upon, upper management employees have no ethics, but lower level employees are expected to meet ridiculous numbers while maintaining a much higher level of ethics than anyone else.

think about how each decision you make will effect customers, employees and your reputation

Great place to develop skills and build life long relationships.

Current Employee - Service Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Service Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Wells Fargo full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's a great place to start a career and really grow. If you are a hard worker and can be easily coached it's easy to move up in the company and get promoted. The training programs are great it's both in a virtual training classes and face to face classes as well. You learn a lot of great skills that can be used outside of work as well.

Cons

If you are a hard worker it's easy to get sucked into working so many hours especially if you are salaried or when overtime doesn't matter. This makes it difficult to have a work-life balance because work becomes your life and then it starts feeling like a routine that you may get bored of after a while. So make sure to take breaks, have days off, and use PTO once in a while.

I think it's great when upper management interacts with all their employees by doing store visits and actually knows us by name. More recognition events would be great and more team building events for all employees not just management.

Great Experience

Former Employee - Teller in Bend, OR
    Former Employee - Teller in Bend, OR

I worked at Wells Fargo full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Wonderful training, great leadership, excellent colleagues, career planning and growth.

Cons

If you are not comfortable with sales, this is not the career for you.

Good Company

Former Employee - Collections in Beaverton, OR
    Former Employee - Collections in Beaverton, OR

I worked at Wells Fargo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

good pay and supervisors and room to advance

Cons

Work hard and do your best and this will be the best job ever

keep up hard work

Great Manager Mentors

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Beaverton, OR
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Beaverton, OR

I worked at Wells Fargo full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Not being micro managed by management. Good co-worker friends and friends in real life.

Cons

Some disorganization between work departments.

Keep up the good work.

WORST COMPANY FOR WHOM I EVER WORKED!!! RUN, DON'T WALK AWAY FROM THEM!

Former Employee - Phone Banker II in Beaverton, OR
    Former Employee - Phone Banker II in Beaverton, OR

I worked at Wells Fargo full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The freedom to resign! The freedom to resign! The freedom to resign!

Cons

First of all, I would give this company a ZERO rating, but it was not an option!!!

I felt discriminated against by Wells Fargo, and in my opinion, I believe that this was due to a couple of factors: ageism and utilizing OFLA/FMLA.  In addition, I am quite confident in my belief that I have been “blacklisted” by Human Resources and upper management, which thwarted my attempts to pursue other positions within this company.  I was systematically rejected for an unfathomable, “mind-numbing” 90+ jobs!!!  If I was declined for a few positions, perhaps it could have been due to a few mitigating factors.  But, over 90 jobs is unconscionable and indefensible!

I approached supervisors, site managers and Human Resources personnel, and no one could, or would, give me any believable and justifiable reason for the astronomical number of declines that I received.  They “danced around” the subject, for fear of any repercussions, both to themselves and to the company.  Either way, this speaks to this company’s unwillingness to encourage upward mobility and career growth, even though it preaches how much it likes to promote from within, to keep “good employees,” and to see employees succeed and grow with the company.

I worked as hard as I could, each and every day, providing exceptional service to Wells Fargo customers, as my numerous Customer Service and Performance awards will corroborate, and I never compromised my commitment to the customers, to the company, or to my achievements, even when I felt that the company treated me in an unprofessional and unethical manner.

It should be ashamed of itself for the duplicitous behavior that it displays to its employees, as it only contributes to the attrition rate, festers resentment and is a cancer to employee morale.

If Wells Fargo had “practiced what it preached,” it would have had a loyal employee for years to come.  It is only a matter of time until another outstanding employee decides to resign for similar reasons as I did. I guess you could say that one is well-advised to keep his/her resume updated, within reach and ready to be called upon at a moment’s notice.

In closing, in my personal opinion, Wells Fargo clearly had no intention of helping me advance my career; it was simply hoping that I will get tired of all the rejection and quit. Well, it can be proud of itself for achieving its objective. In my position, we are taught to overcome objection from the customer, in order to offer them products and services, thus making this company profitable and line the pockets of supervisors, managers, CEO's and shareholders.  But, how much should an employee have to overcome to progress his or her career?  It is simply unethical and amoral to treat another human being this way.

(Read above letter!!!)

Started out well, ended not so well.

Former Employee - Home Equity Phone Banker in Salem, OR
    Former Employee - Home Equity Phone Banker in Salem, OR

I worked at Wells Fargo full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good benefits
    Possibility for bonuses
    PTO - given at the start of the year in lump sum

Cons

Very aggressive sales metrics
    A certain amount of doing well is pure luck of the draw.
    Call time requirements are very short.

Great Place to work when wanting to give back to the community

Former Employee - Teller/Manager/Operations in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Teller/Manager/Operations in Portland, OR

I worked at Wells Fargo full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

They have so many volunteer events you can attend and get to know people, they offer exceptional training in customer service and hands on learning in different fields. They promote quickly based on hard work rather than tenure. You can build a solid career that you can earn self respect every day.

Cons

oh well, when working with finances, there will always be some con's, but the pro's far outweigh any; as with any career, you get out what you put in.

Keep up the good work