Wells Fargo Reviews

3,912 Ratings

1. Variety & Good Experiences

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Wells Fargo full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunity to work on large complex projects, good chances to gain experience in different areas of the bank. Good opportunities to learn about all areas of financial management. Many different locations to work out of.

Cons

The environment can vary depending on which group you are in. Going from 1 group to another can almost feel like changing companies. IT is large providing many opportunities, but also make project work needlessly complex. Most teams play well together, but there are those that don't.

The constant push to cut costs and do more with less is a drag on motivation. Feels like the bank is in a permanent state of cost cutting.

Hard work that pays off

Current Employee - Retail Banking in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Retail Banking in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Wells Fargo

Pros

Great hours, benefits, PTO, incentives, networking, promotions

Cons

Hard work, impossible customers, extreme goals, high pressure, management is hit or miss

happy staff equals happy customers

3. Fun , great work life balance

Current Contractor - Financial Crimes Specialist in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Contractor - Financial Crimes Specialist in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Wells Fargo as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Great leadership opportunities , fun job

Cons

Time to be promoted , pay and salary

N/a

The Teller Experience at Wells Fargo Bank (Arizona)

Former Employee - Teller in Peoria, AZ
    Former Employee - Teller in Peoria, AZ

I worked at Wells Fargo part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Overall, I can't say that there was any aspect at Wells Fargo that I perceived as unfair. As a teller, you work in a fast-paced sales environment. This workplace has a serious focus on communication skills. After nearly three years, I really saw an improvement in my overall social skills.

The customers at Wells Fargo were by far my favorite aspect of the job. As a bank teller, I was able to come in contact with a wide assortment of individuals. The overall experience on the teller platform was one that I could easily recommend to any individual pursuing a career in sales or finance.

Sales goals are relatively easy to meet, and compensation is fair. The benefit of PTO is a welcomed feature. I immediately recognized the human resources department as a top notch facility.

Cons

The only problem I ever had with Wells Fargo was with management. I will always recognize my former branch manager as one of the most competent and hard-working individuals I have ever met. She truly cares about the service that the bank was providing to its customers. She had high expectations for her employees, something that absolutely translated to a great working environment.

However, my service manager was extremely incompetent and unprofessional. This is entirely case by case and I am sure that other branches have a great branch manager-service manager tandem. My former service manager frequently used bully tactics to increase sales, something I struggled to accept. One huge aspect that Wells Fargo focuses on is service. My former service manager made it nigh impossible for us to provide satisfactory service to our customers. She would hover over our shoulders in order to witness an offer. She would high jack transactions and whisper in our ears of all the offers she wanted us to make. This frequently made our customers uncomfortable, as if something was wrong with their transaction. When it came time for me to submit my letter of resignation, my service manager handled as if it was something personal against her. This is entirely unacceptable.

However, the aforementioned scenario is entirely case by case. There are truly some incredible leadership figures throughout each branch.

The overall working environment was one that I truly enjoyed when it was working. However, management (one individual in particular) really brought things to a slow grind whenever something would go against her wishes. I would love to see the work environment operate as a well-oiled machine, other than being dictated by the personal preferences of each management figure.

6. Good Enough

Former Employee - Teller in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Teller in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Wells Fargo

Pros

Easy work load for a student which I was at the time.

Cons

My business card said teller, but I felt more like a salesman.

7. Micromanagment & Insane Goals = losing good people

Current Employee - Personal Banker I (SAFE) in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Personal Banker I (SAFE) in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Wells Fargo full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Compensation overall
    Excellent benefits including good employee assistance programs
    Lots of great people in the company who genuinely care

Cons

Micromanagement - You train us, now let us do our job and ensure our customers are well cared for.
    Wow - Numbers without context are meaningless. All or nothing is unfair.
    Sales goals are insane, and not geared towards the market in which you have to work. Store goals are a bit more reasonable (although really they aren't all that reasonable either), but the individual goals make for a lot of stress, and I know that there are quite a few bankers who succumb to the temptation of violating sales integrity because there's no other way to reach them. And if you do not reach them, your life will become hell. Even with a good manager, they will be pressured to put a LOT more pressure on you.

Live up to your 'Culture of Caring'. Do not in one sentence state that bankers should not be stressing over sales goals, and sales are not as important as ensuring our customers are well taken care of.. then in the next breath bombast your market because stores aren't at 110% in goals, cross-sell isn't high enough etc. You cannot have it both ways. You are losing ethical good people because the unethical are the ones at 300% and getting promoted. It doesn't seem to matter how often these people are reported either. Sales ethics violations are rife partly due to sales goals being too high, and also because other bankers are seeing those who break the rules are the ones getting promoted and who we are told to 'look up too'.
    Wow scores do not help us fix customer service issues. If a branch gets a low score without comments, or context at all, they are not worth the paper they are printed on. All they do is stress the team. Key drivers email questionnaires to customers would be more useful if there was a place to put a comment in each section. Also having it a perfect or zero is unfair to staff. There are a lot of people out there that will never give ANYONE a perfect customer service score. Be more realistic.

8. Overall good company and department

Current Employee - Consumer Loan Underwriter II in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Consumer Loan Underwriter II in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Wells Fargo

Pros

You're given the freedom to do your job.

Cons

As soon as you make a mistake, you always have to explain everything you're doing

Overall management is good, so fixated on #'s.

I was a checking account salesman.

Former Employee - Personal Banker I (SAFE) in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Personal Banker I (SAFE) in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Wells Fargo

Pros

Full benefits and paid time off. They hourly pay is not so bad.

Cons

Quarterly bonuses are not that great. Predatory banking practices are taught to lure in customers.

Offer better compensation if you want those kind of sales.

10. Wells Fargo is a large company that employees could get lost in, but working hard is definitely rewarded.

Former Employee - Personal Banker II in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Personal Banker II in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Wells Fargo

Pros

Great pay, incentives, and benefits.

Cons

Very large company where employees can sometimes be forgotten as just a number. Although, this is could be rectified by standing out above your peers and working diligently.

No advice.

11. Good part work

Current Employee - Tekker in Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Tekker in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at Wells Fargo

Pros

Very easy work. Get 2 dollars a sale past a certain point

Cons

Not really to many cons.

Keep up the good work.