Wells Fargo Reviews

8,108 Reviews
Wells Fargo President, CEO, and Director John G. Stumpf
John G. Stumpf
3,984 Ratings

Pros
  • The work-life balance is good and I was able to see a number of interesting deals (in 283 reviews)

• They do have good benefits although they continue to degrade a little every year (in 488 reviews)

Cons
  • Sales goals that must be met whether the customer wants or needs the products (in 565 reviews)

• work- life balance very difficult with the stress management gives to produce (in 138 reviews)

1. Worst experience I ever had (15 years in the banking industry)

Former Employee - License Personal Banker II in Coral Gables, FL
    Former Employee - License Personal Banker II in Coral Gables, FL

I worked at Wells Fargo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The only "Pros" at this company are the HR benefits. (Which you will get at any other financial institution)

Cons

The product pushing at WF is horrendous, no customer service at all, I would actually feel bad for customer since the service was so bad. Management was inexperience, sarcastic, unprofessional and disrespectful, all that matter for upper management is production. Additionally, no money to be made, goals are unattainable and commission are very poor.

Advice to Management

Increase customer service. Product pushing is not the way bank works at this day and age. Customer have a lot of other choices when it comes to banking. You have great employees under unprofessional managers that will not help grow your company. Develop a better comp plan.

2. Institutional Retirement & Trust Relationship Manager

Current Employee - IRT - Relationship Manager
    Current Employee - IRT - Relationship Manager

I have been working at Wells Fargo full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The match on the 401(k) is 100% up to 6%. The interaction with clients can be rewarding and provide a certain variety to maintain interest.

Cons

The IRT business model relies on external consultants guiding clients to Wells Fargo. Multiple levels of bureaucracy with an abundance of forms required for client actions. Salary increases in IRT are frequently insignificant (2% and less).

Advice to Management

Manage the managers - much of the IRT management team has been together for years and can trace their time together back to First Union. Idea generation is stale, systems are outdated, and resources are mismanaged. There is a lot of form over substance both in actions taken and it the messages delivered to clients and employees.

3. Personal Banker

I worked at Wells Fargo full-time

Pros

Nothing except you have a job

Cons

Unrealistic goals, unqualified managers, worst company to work for.

Advice to Management

Wishful thinking! but stop playing favorites. Identify qualified employees to be promoted instead.

5. Personal Banker

I worked at Wells Fargo full-time

Pros

Cross training to gain further product knowledge
    Good company to learn about banking products and services

Cons

They don't follow up with career advancements, promotions, raises
    If sales numbers are low they might ask you to perform extra tasks outside of your duties
    Can be unorganized
    They change their sales processes too frequently

6. Banker

Current Employee - Pharmaceutical Sales in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Pharmaceutical Sales in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Wells Fargo (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great for people in Banking

Cons

Not into banking want to get into my career

Advice to Management

Professionalism

This company has sadly gone down the drain.

Current Employee - Personal Banker I
    Current Employee - Personal Banker I

I have been working at Wells Fargo

Pros

Pay isn't half bad. Most of your team members are great to work with. My Manager is fantastic and stands up for us and shields us from a lot of the "poop" that rolls down hill...

Cons

Wells Fargo's Vision and Value is to "help customers succeed financially." This is an absolute lie, as employees are coached to sell any product for any thin reason they might be able to force on a customer without coming across as unethical.

The environment is steadily being flushed down the drain. Good, hard working employees are being run so hard until they are wasted. It is very harsh, and the daily sales pressure leaves those on the platform side (bankers) going home feeling terrible about themselves no matter how they performed that day. If a banker performs well one day, it is over and the next day begins with being harassed on how prepared they are, why they are not prepared, and how they are going to fix it. Bankers' daily expectations are cold/warm phone calls, "stagecoaching" with tellers, making 4 appointments for each day of the week, scheduling 2 outside sales events for local businesses each week, and maintaining expected percentages of customer interactions, products sold, follow up appointments set, printing receipts, and conducting needs assessments. The team as a whole is grilled on why these goals haven't been met. Customers are emailed surveys on how they felt they were served and the scoring is either 100% or bust. Everyday the team has a morning huddle and the managers are forced to ask each employee what they are going to do to change their performance.

And the goals are only increasing. Bankers and tellers alike are being told if they don't perform adequately they will be formally reprimanded and then terminated. Everyday there is at least one (but usually 2-3) conference calls with the district manager, who drives the same emotionally abusive statements into banker's heads. She has literally told team members that performance is unacceptable and that they are terrible and it's no wonder why the surveys come in failing (remember they are 100% or fail: a 4 out of 5 is considered fail), it's no wonder why team members don't achieve bonus commission and they will never succeed with the company. If the store has a slow day it's the end of the world.

It's so hard to come into a job where your customers tell you at times that you've saved their lives, or they don't know what they'd do if they hadn't have come across your desk; only to be berated when they leave for not selling them something.

I am currently searching for a better job and when I find it I am out of this place.

Advice to Management

I have no problems whatsoever with my store manager. However, the district manager is a terrible leader whom no one truly respects. You can't expect to provide constant negative feedback with no positive encouragement and expect employees to perform. They are not happy and dread coming to work every day. Happy employees love to perform at work, and they are not happy here.

Personal banker

Former Employee - Personal Banker I in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Personal Banker I in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Wells Fargo

Pros

Pay and benefits- vacation time and excellent training program

Cons

Unethical work environment - sales goals caused unethical behavior to get numbers

Service Manager II

Current Employee - Service Manager
    Current Employee - Service Manager

I have been working at Wells Fargo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Promoted quickly. Great benefits, Pay is moderate.

Cons

Managers are not trained to manage people. Sales is all that matters and perfection. Fail at that and you are considered a failure.

Advice to Management

Work on revising your measurement of service scores. Nobody is perfect and if a team member earns a top score in one category, they shouldn't be punished because the others were less. For instance all 5's and one 4 on a survey is ridiculous not to allow team members to get credit for. You are setting team members up to fail and causing undue stress.

10. manager

I have been working at Wells Fargo

Pros

great pay if you are in the top 5%

Cons

sales goals and expectations are for the top 5% each manager plays their own role without being consistent

Advice to Management

follow the rules with each and every employee

11. Teller-hated every single day I worked there

Former Employee - Teller in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Teller in Portland, OR

I worked at Wells Fargo (More than a year)

Pros

Co workers are pretty fun

Cons

Too many to list here

Advice to Management

Too much to list here