Wells Fargo Reviews

3.3
Wells Fargo President, CEO, and Director John G. Stumpf
John G. Stumpf
4,342 Ratings

Pros
  • They sometimes care about work/life balance (in 283 reviews)

• good benefits a great company to move up (in 488 reviews)

Cons
  • Sales goals that must be met whether the customer wants or needs the products (in 565 reviews)

• Management does not have much of a work life balance (in 138 reviews)

8,935 Employee Reviews

Wells Fargo is a great place to work if you like getting yelled at constantly.

Former Employee - Business Relationship Manager in Bluffton, IN
    Former Employee - Business Relationship Manager in Bluffton, IN

I worked at Wells Fargo

Pros

The benefits are truly great and cannot be beaten by anyone in the industry.

Cons

Regional management that is imcompetent at best. They have huge egos and really are clueless when it comes to dealing with employees. Beating people up for working hard, yelling at people when they are hitting their goals, and not approving any credit requests typically does not lead to happy employees. You would think they would look at their retention problems and realize this, but their arrogance does not allow for introspection.

Advice to Management

Replace all senior leadership in the Indiana/Ohio region. Selling trinkets may be something nice to add to the annual report, but market share is truly what matters. Wells Fargo's way of doing business does not work in smaller markets. Smaller markets demand quicker turn around times and more personalized service, Wells Fargo needs to realize this and give front line employees more authority to get things done for their customers.

2. Some benefits are generous; not ideal for working parents; don't plan on working your entire career here.

Current Employee - E-Business Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - E-Business Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Wells Fargo

Pros

PTO is generous - 25 days for new hires, 30 days after 10 years, 35 days after 15 years. Compensation is respectable - obviously, you would always like more, but realistically, I believe it's fair. We've also saved a lot of money by taking advantage of discounts on bank products.

Cons

Often touted as one of the best places for working mothers, many divisions do not provide the flexibility needed for a proper work/life balance for any parents. Individuals with years of experience in one field are not respected - they would rather see you move into different departments after a year or two of service rather than dedicate yourself to something you love.

Advice to Management

It's understandable that we are here to make money for shareholders, but often, we seem to focus too much on that and not enough on serving our customers.

3. Nice place to retire but not start a career

Current Employee - Risk Management Analyst in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Risk Management Analyst in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Wells Fargo

Pros

Time off policy is great

Cons

Not rewarded for individual performance. Everyone, regardless of individual performance, receives same bonus %. Annual salaries work much the same way. But, if I get a nice pay raise that means my teammate got shafted and vice versa; creates a back-stabbing, "look out for yourself" environment.

Advice to Management

Pull your heads out of your collective arse.

Keep a toothbrush and pillow under your desk... you're going to need them.

Current Employee - Technical Project Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Project Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Wells Fargo

Pros

Generous PTO, assuming you're allowed to use it.

Cons

Even after a class action lawsuit between the employees and the company, the actions that lead to the lawsuit in the first place continued.

Advice to Management

Don't you dare tell me that I should be able to get my job done in 40 hours while you're handing me a project that you *know* will take 80.

There are better places.

Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Wells Fargo

Pros

Depends entirely on the office you work for. Salaries and benefits OK for a financial institution.

Cons

It's a bank. It is highly bureaucratic and doesn't attract very good people. Retirement in place. Lot's of people "come up thru the ranks" and are virtually unemployable anywhere else but another bank. Many management types have no outside experience and many have no degree.

Advice to Management

Try a little communication. It's hard to improve work performance if you don't know what management wants. It's hard to do an analysis of operations when you are excluded from meetings and are not included in planning meetings.

Don't bank here, don't work here

Current Employee - Personal Banker in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Personal Banker in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Wells Fargo

Pros

Easy entrance to the financial field, with the right sucking up one can get ahead if you have moral flexibility to swindle people. If you don't have education and don't thrive in a meritocracy it is a place where you can truly succeed and fly up the ranks. People can rise from entry level teller to management despite lack of management experience or economic knowledge. Very pro-minority as they value diversity over skill. This place will give you a thicker skin in sales, if you can sell online banking and debit cards to 90 year olds you're apt to succeed.

Cons

Unfair business practices, management suggesting immoral practices, poorly trained and educated staff, extreme pressure to put extreme pressure on customers despite their best interests, subpar products that one is expected to push, repeated unethical and questionable business practices, managers who are uneducated, and uninformed, lack of concern for the best interests of the customers or employees. They fail to prune out employees that have been popped for violating policy, and punish those that follow it. Employees are encouraged to endlessly harass customers into products they don't need. This company embodies the peter principal, and rewards their most morally deficient employees.

Advice to Management

Be realistic, treat people with respect, and stop exposing the company to virtually endless loss.

Wells Fargo is not for me!

Former Employee - Store Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Wells Fargo

Pros

They were flexible with my work schedule and it made my personal life easier to manage. They offer a decent benefits package that included 401k and stock options. It is a bank, so you do get every holiday off and if you are fortunate to work in a traditional branch rather than an in-store you could even get weekends off. The work itself is not very difficult but because of the economy and the way the overall market is right now, you may have a tough time achieving your sales goals which will bring more pressure from Senior Management becasue they have deadlines to meet as well.

Cons

Management is not very organized, they believe more in quantity rather than quality when it comes to sales. They hold way to many meetings about things you are doing wrong rather than ways to improve current situations. I believe that management is too self involved with thier own sales goals to see that keeping and training your best people will lead to stronger sales and a happier work environment. I believe that Wells Fargo Nevada is to blame rather than Wells Fargo Company. The leadership in Nevada is very poor and is run by people who in my opinion are store managers at best.

Advice to Management

Get your act together!

BEWARE THE RETAIL DIVISION - PYSCHOLOGICAL SWEATSHOP

Former Employee - Senior Human Resources Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Human Resources Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Wells Fargo

Pros

Compensation and benefits are good. How happy you are is really dependent upon where in Wells Fargo you work. If you are outside the retail bank division, some employees seem very happy. I supported the retail bank division and it was not a happy place. People worked long hours, and were told by managers, you are exempt and I can ask you to work as many hours as necessary. That is exactly what my manager said to a group of us who protested under unreasonable workloads. I found it to be a very harsh culture with a take no prisoners attitude. There was also in my opinion a sickening effort by upper management to "encourage" employees to vote in a certain ways. Also it was a culture based on greed.

Cons

Management can be very incompetent. Some people who are good at sales have been promoted way beyond their capability. This is especially true with the retail division in frontline management. My experience was that I reported to a manager way out of his depth and no one knew or cared. That manager's manager was very intent on building his career, and listened to know one but his boss. Additionally I supported a regional VP who was promoted based on her ability to sell, but she managed through intimidation and control. She refused to deal with people fairly and listened to no advice. Because she made her sales numbers she was highly touted and no one looked at the dead bodies she left in her wake.

Advice to Management

Senior management take a look at your frontline managers and focus on quality not quantity.

10. Wells Fargo is BAD

Current Employee - Teller in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Teller in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Wells Fargo

Pros

Pay is good for a student, co-workers became life long friends.

Cons

Bad management, it's not what you know but instead who you know, work is actually a lot harder then you would expect. I was constantly left alone in the drive thru during the busiest times. Management is awful. Service managers are the worst I have ever seen.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better. You run a high turnover company and maybe you should do some research in to why that is. Higher pay and better training of management could go a long way in making this a better place to work for.

11. work here if you have no ethics

Former Employee - Private Banker in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Private Banker in San Diego, CA

I worked at Wells Fargo

Pros

stability, any idiot without an education can go pretty far there as long as you can talk customers in to useless products they do not need. Lots of opportunities for advancement if you put your own personal goals ahead of the clients.

Cons

talking customers into products they do not need. upper management encourages unethical practices. organization is built around sales not customer service that they claim they are. I worked there for five years and finally I had to leave, because everybody knows that unethical sales practices are taking place but nobody does anything about it. All the way up through district management and market area presidents.

Advice to Management

disciplining of middle management for the promotion of unethical pratices who encourage bankers to do unethical things.

Showing 8,935 of 9,311 reviews