Wells Fargo

Employer Engaged

Great company

Current Employee - Lead Teller in Allentown, PA
    Current Employee - Lead Teller in Allentown, PA

I have been working at Wells Fargo full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good hours, team environment, decent pay, advancement opportunities

Cons

Micro management, some Saturdays, only get 1 break, customers can be touchy when it comes to their money so need to be a patient person who's good at de-escalating

Wells Fargo Home Mortgage - Default Reporting (An Amazing Operation)

Current Employee - Business Systems Consultant IV in West Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Business Systems Consultant IV in West Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Wells Fargo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Having witnessed the processes and cultures at many different Mortgage Servicing Companies (Chase, Citi, Bank of America, etc), Wells Fargo stands far above each in terms of culture, automation, customer focus, and proactive resolution of issues. Default servicing (resolving discrepancies of loans that are late, in foreclosure or bankruptcy) has many inherent challenges. Those challenges are magnified with dependencies on outside entities such as Freddie Mac, Fannie Mae, Ginnie Mae, Private Investors, and Attorney Firms. Given the universe of potential issues and points of failure, I’ve been impressed by the processes, controls and genuine desire of the servicing team to ensure the accuracy of all the mortgage details. I see a great deal of team recognition, compensation, and advancement (promotions) within default reporting.

Cons

I am only familiar with the internal effort to ensure the accuracy of Mortgage details. I do have much exposure to the loan analysts and specialists on the "Front Line" who have direct contact with customers. There does seem to be a minor catch-22 for employees who remain within the same position for more than 5 years. If he or she takes a new internal position, there seems to be a company policy that limits the cap the maximum salary increase for the new position at 12% the salary of the old position. For many incremental promotions, this isn't an issue. For those rare circumstances where an employee jumps both "job families" and "levels", this can result in a rather large disparity. Good managers have mechanisms to offer mid-year adjustments to accelerate compensation in cases like this, but the oversight and scrutiny on the business justification is rather burdensome. Some employees who have been with Wells Fargo for many years may find it easier to leave for 6mo and return, if they like the company and want to dramatically adjust their income toward the mid-point for their job families.

Be aware of your employees with 10-25 years of experience who are under compensated. They are subject matter experts who are too valuable to loose. The last decade has seen a transition from employees with "Critical Thinking Abilities" and employees who are "Tool Users". Do everything possible to identify, retain and compensate the employees who are capable of filling in gaps beyond the scenarios documented in "Job Aids" and "Procedures". There are only so many controls that can be implemented in tools. The best control is an employee who can think work though complex issues that can't be documented via business rules.

An Overall Bad Experience

Former Employee - Senior Teller in Greenwood Village, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Teller in Greenwood Village, CO

I worked at Wells Fargo full-time (more than a year)

Pros

A lot of Exposure to the finance industry

Cons

District manager out of touch of what really goes on and does not motivate. Talks down.

Reevaluate the district managers and store managers... Some of them are just a title and not very good at managing.

good job

I have been working at Wells Fargo

Pros

good job of the company

Cons

nothing wrong with company job

Business Systems Consultant

Former Contractor - Business Systems Consultant
    Former Contractor - Business Systems Consultant

I worked at Wells Fargo as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

My manager was as close to ideal as a manager could be. He was there when I got stuck but let me go when I felt confident in what I was doing. I also worked with some very dedicated product managers and project managers. One in particular stood out for me as driven to provide the best possible customer experience. The customer experience was the highest value for that project, and all 20 or so people involved with the project shared that value.

Cons

I had some projects early in my time there where I felt more like a scribe than a business analyst. One product manager responded to a question of mine by saying, "That is not for you to ask me. That is for the outside vendor to ask if the information is needed." My response was "OK" but I was thinking "Wow". The whole point of being a BA is to ask questions and document the information I was provided. All I was trying to do with this question was understand what the product manager would like as the header to a column.

Business analysts have a role to play in nailing down requirements. That role needs to be respected or a BA is ineffective.

Wells Fargo takes care of their employees

Former Employee - Teller in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Teller in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Wells Fargo

Pros

There is lots of growth within branches and beyond.

Cons

Compensation is low, sales goals are hard to reach and only get higher. If you don't meet them, you are written up.

Be more professional.

Fraud dept

I worked at Wells Fargo

Pros

Worked 4 days a wk

Cons

Pay is too low

Increase pay

Great place to advance

Current Employee - Management
    Current Employee - Management

I have been working at Wells Fargo

Pros

Great salary, resources, great people, excellent partners.

Cons

Very demanding, no coaching process

Be prepared to be micro managed daily

Very large company - you make your own success

Current Employee - Private Banker in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Private Banker in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Wells Fargo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

earning potential
    helping clients-rewarding work
    team environment

Cons

Very large company
    No local autonomy or power
    Can get lost within many departments/levels

Give more autonomy to local managers

Job of a teller at Wells Fargo

Current Employee - Teller in South Florida, FL
    Current Employee - Teller in South Florida, FL

I have been working at Wells Fargo part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I've been working as a teller at WF for several months now. There is a strict adherence to the rules and procedures in everything you do and the way you communicate with customers and peers. You have to do it the "prescribed" way or you will have a problem. I also found that there is a good reason behind this: it helps you avoid mistakes that can cost you your job.

A few words about sales pressure... It is definitely there and you have to produce solutions by identifying customer's potential needs and referring him to a banker. This is not some sort of "extra effort" but a part of your job, just as important as counting money. You have to be communicable and be ready for any sort of customer reaction. On the other hand... You are trained to identify those needs; you do get help from peers, managers and bankers, often they talk to the customer on my behalf and it is still my solution; you are getting paid extra for new solutions; I also found that quite often customers can indeed benefit from them so it is not just to sell whatever for the sake of sale. Finally, do not sell your soul for solutions: persuading your relatives to open accounts may help now but will do nothing good for you next week or month. Instead, learn the products and services, learn how to present them and how to identify needs and study customers. Over time it becomes easier to understand who might benefit from solutions and whom you just service without any presentation.

Cons

Challenges for me include adherence to many small but important details, sometimes customer's rudeness; computer software is not intuitive.