Wells Fargo

7,127 Reviews

Wells Fargo President, CEO, and Director John G. Stumpf
John G. Stumpf
3,561 Ratings

Pros
  • The work-life balance is good and I was able to see a number of interesting deals (in 283 reviews)

• They do have good benefits although they continue to degrade a little every year (in 488 reviews)

Cons
  • Sales goals that must be met whether the customer wants or needs the products (in 565 reviews)

• work- life balance very difficult with the stress management gives to produce (in 138 reviews)

More Highlights

77 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

At first, my experience was horrible as a personal banker but is now awesome as an analyst in Commercial Banking.

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Wells Fargo full-time (more than an year)

Pros

High Expectations, amazing training, and competitive compensation are top on my list. The bank has invested thousands of dollars into my training and development and I feel that my pay is adequate for my workload. Further, the people I work with are second to none in work ethic, intelligence, and personalities.

Cons

My office has very low turnover, so promotions are slower than normal. Further, annual raises are nominal at best and the health benefits aren't exactly great.

Consider an improvement to benefits. They aren't that great.

Banker

Former Employee - Personal Banker I in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Personal Banker I in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Wells Fargo part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good pay, flexible schedule, good training.

Cons

Lots of preasure on meeting sales goals.

Great place to gain experience

Former Employee - OSC in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - OSC in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Wells Fargo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits if you compare with other call centers in Salt Lake City.

Cons

Supervisors in general are unprofessional. Salary and incentive compensation are low.

Take a Ride on the Wells Fargo Wagon... not always a smooth ride but it will get you somewhere

Current Employee - Personal Banker II – Registered in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Personal Banker II – Registered in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Wells Fargo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Growth potential. It is a large bank with a lot of opportunity for growth if you push for it. I have been really greatful for the lincensing program. Wells Fargo will pay you full time and pay for and provide your financial licensing tests and study materials. You study on company time unlike many other financial institutions that will pay for your materials and tests but you need to study on your own time.

Cons

Sometimes the goals can be a bit overwhelming and the "Perfect 5" requirement for customer service surveys just seems a bit unrealistic. At times the goals and the process can get in the way of real connections with the customers.

It will vary on different markets but I have seen too many people get promoted for high numbers based on questionable tactics.

Toxic sales-over-service culture

Former Employee - Personal Banker I (SAFE) in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Personal Banker I (SAFE) in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Wells Fargo full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great training, allows you to gain broad knowledge in retail finance, networking is good

Cons

Poor pay, unreasonable sales pressure, no ethical standards enforced, no care for customers- they are just suckers to be fleeced.

Build relationships with your customers rather than try to con them into signing up for things. Service actually matters to people.

Not What I Thought it Would Be

Former Employee - Fraud Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Fraud Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Wells Fargo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent benefits. Really like most of my co-workers. On-site gym with showers and locker room. Good coffee in the break room.

Cons

Call center environment. The information they give you about the job when you interview doesn't include the fact that you will be sitting at a computer all day every day doing basically the same thing over and over and over. There is too much emphasis on how much you are producing. Poor training does not prepare you for the job. Very few opportunities to contribute ideas for improvements. Microscopic raises because this particular department does not "generate revenue for the bank."

Ask for input from your employees before making changes that impact their job responsibilities.

Fantastic environment and a management team that truly cares about their employees.

Current Employee - Brokerage Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Wells Fargo full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits, compensation and environment. Management does everything they can to help employees succeed.

Cons

None I can think of. If I had not become too ill to work I would definitely still be there.

Glad I got out quick!

Former Employee - Teller in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Teller in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Wells Fargo part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Benefits (PTO!!)
    Some really cool people

Cons

Management
    Scheduling
    Sales
    Roadmaps

Management is basically hired by time spent with the company - not by skill set. My service manager was HORRIBLE in one word. No leadership skills whatsoever - an awful communicator, terrible with confrontation and dealing with customer concerns - something that should have been learned in her first 4 years with the company.
    I was constantly asked to cover hours because of the high turnover and at a smaller branch it became very stressful.
    The sales push was insane. Achievable - yes. But I think it suffices to say that WF is willing to lose 5 customers to gain 1.
     Attention to the roadmap was ridiculous. It is an absolute joke to force every teller to have the exact same types of conversations with people all day long. Hopefully now that WF is learning they have a younger demographic they will begin to understand that the younger generation is not impressed by being "Welcomed to Wells Fargo" and "Thanked for choosing Wells Fargo" during every interaction.

Deplorable morale, not 1 person in my position I met liked their job.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Wells Fargo full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Health benefits were good, dollar compensation was favorable.

Cons

Management treats employees like irresponsible children. Furniture and equipment are old, used outdated office furniture, equipment. Big picture metrics outweighs doing the right thing. Always better metrics to say nothing to a customer and shorten call time vs example-explaining any solution like a brokerage account or Billpay,etc.

Kill the churn and burn mentality. Too much revenue sacrifice occurs prioritizing breve calls over revenue generating responses. Decrease dollar compensation and increase morale compensation. Customers always deserve a solution call vs current metric shorten call priority.

overall strong with savvy upper management

Current Employee - Business Relationship Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Business Relationship Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Wells Fargo full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

they take great care of you as you produce, work life balance depends on who is managing you or who you report to.

Cons

there are some internal difficulties in working with incentive compensation groups as well as some internal conflict in the Business Banking Group between IS and RM roles

show more meaningful care with employees