Wells Fargo

Updated February 19, 2015
3.7

Wells Fargo President, CEO, and Director John G. Stumpf
John G. Stumpf

Pros
  • The work-life balance is good and I was able to see a number of interesting deals (in 283 reviews)

• They do have good benefits although they continue to degrade a little every year (in 488 reviews)

Cons
  • Sales goals that must be met whether the customer wants or needs the products (in 565 reviews)

• work- life balance very difficult with the stress management gives to produce (in 138 reviews)

More Highlights

85 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

I love everything about my job, but a Lead Teller is the hardest position.

Current Employee - Lead Teller in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Teller in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Wells Fargo full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Wells Fargo focuses on excellent customer service and personal growth for each team member, which I love.

Cons

Lead teller is one of the hardest positions. As a lead teller, you must be able to multitask. You have to keep up with the duties of a supervisor and paperwork as well as teller duties and daily sales goals.

Managers, recognize the lead tellers that will do everything without giving you excuses.

Fun environment for those attending college

Current Employee - Teller/Lead Teller in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Teller/Lead Teller in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Wells Fargo part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits. For the most part, very collaborative. Flexible hours for tellers/lead tellers. Great growth opportunity if you want to stay with the company! I made a lot of good friends while working at Wells Fargo and also learned to handle my finances.

The company does provide great tools for those who want to grow and succeed with them.

Cons

VERY VERY UNETHICAL BANKERS. They will do whatever to close the sale. Why would an 80 year old who barely speaks any English be sold on a Credit Card!? The managers usually pretend to not see these thins and allow for unethical practices.

The sales pressure is horrible. The managers will make you (at least they did while I was there) bring in accounts from your friends and family quite often.

There is a lot of office romance, drama, and "high-school" issues going around (i worked in multiple branches) . Do not be surprised if an Assistant manager is trying to sleep with a teller that is 5+ years younger or if 2 bankers are hooking up when they are both married.

Too many to list.

Not a bad experience, not a good experience

Former Employee - Part Time Teller in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Part Time Teller in San Diego, CA

I worked at Wells Fargo part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great company with great benefits
    Corporate expressed great values and morals during the training process

Cons

Teller position is surprisingly demanding despite the low salary
    Many of my co workers quit which turned my 25 hours per week into 50 hours per week
    Sales quotas WAY TOO DEMANDING

Increase the teller salaries!

Very rewarding depending on your manager and your attitude

Former Employee - Personal Banker I in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Personal Banker I in San Diego, CA

I worked at Wells Fargo full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

At Wells Fargo there is plenty of positions one can explore on their career path. The growth can be very quick depending how motivated an individual is and how they go about attaining their sales goal. The compensation gets very robust as you climb your way up the latter. Hours are decent with it mostly being a 9 to 6 job with only a couple of call nights for a hour sprined in here and there. Over all I say it is a very good place to work.

Cons

Wells Fargo gets a bad rap as a stressful, sales driven company which for the most part, well is true....sort off. There are many individuals in leader ship that don't know how to coach properly in order to get the most out of their employees. I've seen managers demand productivity and threaten corrective action which in itself causes team members to become disengaged and disgruntled especially newer employees that don't know what to expect. To be fair that's not an issue limited to Wells Fargo alone but I can only speak from my experience.

Take time to focus on developing people. Plant some good seeds so that the working relationships bares fruit. You set the pace and if you panic so does the team.

Fantastic!

Current Employee - Personal Banker I (SAFE) in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Personal Banker I (SAFE) in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Wells Fargo full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Days off are flexible and compensation is competitive.

Cons

Must be competitive to be promoted.

My branch is GREAT! Yet it still has flaws b/c of corporate.

Current Employee - Teller in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Wells Fargo part-time (more than a year)

Pros

1. I get paid holodays.
    2. I get PTO as a part time employee.
    3. My branch is family.
    4. I get to eat dum dum lollipops all day.
    5. Management doesn't choose favorites.

Cons

1. High pressure for sales.
    2. Who manages lead tellers coming to work on time and owning up to it?
    3. Dress code for guys isn't as casual as girls.
    4. Bonus isn't that much.
    5. Doesn't let you get a second job if you need one to pay bills... To elaborate more on this, working 25 hours as a teller simply isn't cutting it for me to pay bills. I asked if I could change my availability from 8:00-6:30 to 8:00-5:30. I was told that they could not honor it because I was hired based on the fact that I had full availability(I would understand if it weren't for the fact that people who needed to go to school could change availability, yet I need more money to support my family and I can't!?!?!?). That is what I'm TRULY disappointed about.

Find a way to make sure that EVERYONE is accountable for coming to work on time. Also, allow your employees to have the ability to get a second job if they need one!!

Personal Banker 1 & Business Expert

Former Employee - Personal Banker I (SAFE) in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Personal Banker I (SAFE) in San Diego, CA

I worked at Wells Fargo full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Enjoyed the benefits of forming part of a great organization where there is lots of room to grow. Enjoyed the benefits (medical, dental, vision, life, etc) along with the good number of PTO and Holidays observed. The pay was good as well. Compensation was great in the time that I worked there.

Cons

It is a high stress environment where sales goals are high and are expected. Jump in to January was brutal; but if you are task oriented and self motivated you will get there. You have to be very consistent in your practices and effective at you job. KNOWLEDGEABLE is the key.

Increase pay rate. Market rate pay is not what you pay someone that is expected to go above and beyond. The employer who expects above and beyond must be willing to invest in their employee in order to motivate them to go above and beyond. Make your employees feel appreciated for all the hard work they do. I really think that this portion is what kept me from accepting my second offer of employment with WF.

Sales oriented

Current Employee - Teller in El Cajon, CA
    Current Employee - Teller in El Cajon, CA

I have been working at Wells Fargo part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Pays well. Nice people and culture.

Cons

Sales oriented. If you do not have sales down they will change their attitude with you. Of course that is mostly management and their management skills.

Don't be so pushy toward sales. Don't change your attitude toward someone if they have a bad sales day.

Loan Processor

Former Employee - Loan Document Specialist in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Loan Document Specialist in San Diego, CA

I worked at Wells Fargo full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Consistent pay check, supportive coworkers, pretty casual environment depending where you were located.

Cons

no stability, I was hired and laid off with probably 35% of the company within 8 months. I saw a lot of waste. I wondered how many jobs could have been saved by just by cutting some of the excess business expenses. Such a big company change is slow.

Take a look at your extra expenses first before cutting people. Excess office equipment etc.

Great Company

Current Employee - Teller in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Wells Fargo part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lost of opportunity, very competitive. Very good training.

Cons

The cons of the company would be that, since it is competitive that you might have to overwork yourself for a promotion.

none