Wells Fargo Reviews

Reset
3.4
Wells Fargo President, CEO, and Director John G. Stumpf
John G. Stumpf

Pros
  • They sometimes care about work/life balance (in 283 reviews)

• good benefits a great company to move up (in 488 reviews)

Cons
  • Sales goals that must be met whether the customer wants or needs the products (in 565 reviews)

• Management does not have much of a work life balance (in 138 reviews)

Wells Fargo an innovative company for someone looking for a great career.

Current Employee - Branch Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Wells Fargo

Pros

The resources they give you to success and the training is top notch, second to no other financial institution in the industry. They also have several support and managerial staff that really do encourage the highest level of success in meeting your goals.

Cons

It is a day to day managed company. Sometimes you feel as if you are underperforming if you have had one bad day.

Advice to Management

To focus more on revenue generation and ensuring the highest level of quality in the performance of your people. Create stops and balances in plans to prevent temptation of bad quality.

2. Flexible, Big Company with tons of perks, and benefits. Fantastic place to work.

Current Employee - Marketing Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Wells Fargo

Pros

At wells fargo there are many reasons to work here. For one, the diversity here is the best in the industry, the shear amounts of diversity and openness is unsurpassed. Also, depending on what group you are in, the dress code is VERY laxed for a bank (Jeans, T-shirt is acceptable). Also, some offices have fooseball tables/pool tables for the people (wholesale side). as with any big company, thsi could vary group to group, however except from the finance heavy areas, many workers work remotely, as well as get very lenient PTO. Speaking of PTO....25 days + 1 day at home a week is fantastic.

Cons

Big company, and everything that comes with it

Advice to Management

Celebrate even the small wins, and stay very connected to the employees. Dont keep it hierarchical

3. Good place to work

Current Employee - VP, Product Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - VP, Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Wells Fargo

Pros

Wells Fargo encourages a good mix of work/life balance. Obviously it depends on the group and management, but I have never had a problem taking days off or even large blocks of vacation (e.g., 3 weeks) at a time. Having 5 weeks of PTO is outstanding, and I work from home 2x per week. The senior management is very competent - proven by 20 years of results through various economic cycles. Overall a good company to work for.

Cons

Obviously it's big, and it's a bank, so red tape is inevitable. There's a lot of process and procedure, but I think that's inevitable with the size of company and in financial services.

Advice to Management

Keep on the same track that Kovacevich was on - don't overspend for acquistitions; think about integrations carefully; lend conservatively; and focus on hiring and retaining the best people.

5. A Choice for A Long Career: Miles of Possibilites

Current Employee - Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Wells Fargo

Pros

Its vision and values Its track record Its commitment to diversity Because of these things, team members can be assured that they are working in a company where what they do really matters to the customers that they serve as well as to tthe bottom line. Additionally, they can be confident that Wells Fargo really is committed to People as a Competitive Advantage. Especially in these turbulent times a company like Wells with its nearly matchless track record of performance and history combined with strong and caring leadership at the top is a great place to start a career or to continue a career.

Cons

It's a complicated structure, so collaboration skills are essential. This is no place for lone rangers. Expectations are high, even in difficult economic environments, so you have to stay committed to do well.

Advice to Management

Contnue to work at getting better at centering on the customer. Never be complacent. Continue to listen and act on the the wisdom of team members.

He is a very smart, diligent bank leader.

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Wells Fargo

Pros

Wells Fargo has a lot of opportunities if you have an attractive professional technical skills set. In IT, ALM, Treasury function, risk management, forecasting Wells Fargo is a top notch employer. Also, it is an excellent employer for women as they crowd the highest levels of management just below the CEO throughout the organization. If you work here, you better accept having a woman as a boss because it is very likely.

Cons

If you are in a marketing or sales function such as some type of loan officer, there is much pressure exerted on you here. Your sales performance is measured through a bunch of metrics on a daily basis. It gets a bit Orwelian. Your compensation in such function is loaded on the pay-for-performance incentive component. The base salary is low. You won't be able to coast here. Either you are a strong performer, and you will make very good money. Otherwise, you just won't make it and exit quickly to a small community bank with a much more comfortable low stress job.

Advice to Management

None, our CEO is doing a terrific job. Along with the senior management team, Wells Fargo has avoided the brunt of the Subprime problem through sound credit underwriting and risk management. The related write offs have been on a pro-rated basis a small fraction of Wells Fargo's counterpart such as Bank of America, CitiCorp, WAMU, etc...

7. Wonderful place to start your career

Current Employee - Operations Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Operations Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Wells Fargo

Pros

The workplace promotes a wonderful working atmosphere. Everyone around is very nice and helpful at all times. Management treats their employees with respect. Company promotes events that reach out to the community for us to give back. Their benefits are great with plenty PTO days along with a matching 401K and Cash Balance Plan. Tons of internal job openings if you want to transfer around within the company.

Cons

Annual reviews are great but it does not reflect the salary increases. Compensation should be better and more competitive within industry.

Advice to Management

Compensate your hard working employees fairly.

8. Good place to work, but it depends....

Current Employee - Senior Business Systems Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Business Systems Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Wells Fargo

Pros

An employee’s experience at Wells Fargo depends a lot upon his or her manager. I think my manager is one of the best managers I have ever had in my 25-plus year working career (only a few of those years at WF.) I think WF is a great place for work-life balance. I am sometimes annoyed that I can’t reach a colleague after 5pm, but I have to respect the fact that they have lives and WF makes that easy to do. Lastly, the benefits are good for a company this size in this day and age. Not Google-good benefits, but pretty good for a large bank.

Cons

Despite the existence of an internal program to break down silos, WF is still a VERY silo’d organization. WF doesn’t really walk the talk when they talk about crossing organizational boundaries to serve the customer better. If they really meant what they said about breaking down silos they would put something in everybody’s MBO’s. However, I don’t know anybody’s MBO’s, other than perhaps that internal program, who include cross-organizational objectives. From some of my friends who work at WF there can be managers who are inconsiderate, hyper, arrogant, part of an “old boys” network. Management doesn’t seem to believe in management by walking around. I’m pretty far down the organization chain and I’ve never met any managers more than three levels above me despite the fact that the project I’m working on is supposed to be of strategic significance to our division.

Advice to Management

Spend some money on breaking down silos. Watch out for areas in the Bank where bad managers perpetuate other bad managers. Get out an meet lower-level employees more often.

A great place to work

Current Employee - Vice President Sales Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President Sales Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Wells Fargo

Pros

Well run bank with a focus on employees as a competitive advantage. With the bank having many lines of business, it is great for gaining expereince in many areas.

Cons

The pay is not exceptional and the focus on diversity often gives less qualified people promotions.

Advice to Management

Don't sacrifice quality in the quest for diversity.

Great Job for top sales performers!

Current Employee - Personal Banker in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Personal Banker in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Wells Fargo

Pros

If you are good or superior in Sales, this a good job for you. The job is 80% salary and 20% incentive compensation(commission), so the day to day pressure is off as far as income. Wells Fargo does hold you to daily, weekly and quarterly goals, but if you are a top performer, this should be no problem. The company thrives on integrity, compliance, conservative practices

Cons

Average sales performers will have a hard time or struggle with meeting their minimums. The entry level positions make the employees use scripts when greeting clients which at times becomes difficult to do.

Advice to Management

Continue to reward the top performers, but allow the also to use their individuality and not have to follow "scripts" when profiling clients or greeting clients

11. Great place to work

Former Employee - Business Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Business Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Wells Fargo

Pros

Overall, Wells Fargo was a great place to work. Excellent management team, open communications, and good work/life balance. Senior management was approachable and open to new ideas and suggestions.

Cons

As with any large company, politics can be strong in certain dvisions within the company.

Advice to Management

Senior management encourages employees to 'runs it like you own it'....and many people do. However, this can become a challenge when projects are competing for the same resources or management attention.

Showing 670 of 9,310 reviews